Microsoft Original XBox Backwards Compatibility *SPAWN*

Not expecting much other than higher resolution, AA, and AF and probably 60 FPS.

Regards,
SB
I expect a milkshake with it too. :p

I do expect to see some OG X games rotate into the Xbox Game Pass.
well, this might well become real. Phil Spencer wants to bring Xbox -this includes X360- BC and Xbox Game Pass to PC.

http://www.pcgamer.com/phil-spencer...s-compatibility-and-xbox-play-anywhere-to-pc/

That would be huge, having the emulator on your PC. I have many Xbox and X360 games, though few OG Xbox digital games, save for Ninja Gaiden Black. This means that I wouldn't need 2 machines to play my games.

games from that era generally look massively better with higher resolution and stable framerate, doubling the resolution (which is 1280x960, not to far from 1080P vertically) can make miracles (some games on PSCSX2 and Dolphin look great), better AF perhaps is also important
but at the same time I think it would be positive if they had an accuracy mode running at 480p as an option, still only offering the original resolution would be problematic but I don't think it will happen. and I think the framerate will run at the maximum lock (30 or 60) with no problem but I don't see them changing 30FPS games to 60.

hopefully PGR2 will inspire them to make the PGR games all compatible.

well, this might well become real. Phil Spencer wants to bring Xbox -this includes X360- BC and Xbox Game Pass to PC.

http://www.pcgamer.com/phil-spencer...s-compatibility-and-xbox-play-anywhere-to-pc/

That would be huge, having the emulator on your PC. I have many Xbox and X360 games, though few OG Xbox digital games, save for Ninja Gaiden Black. This means that I wouldn't need 2 machines to play my games.

That would be fantastic. More and more I become convinced that MS is moving to one platform instead of dual platforms as it currently is. The Xbox will just be a console that is a cheaper, more trouble free, and more focused (games primarily) way to access that platform.

The following quote is important in that context.

Spencer had more to say about developing games for PC, the return to Age of Empires, and what Microsoft still needs to do to improve the Windows Store and UWP.

If this is going to work then it is imperative for MS to improve the Windows Store and UWP. While it isn't bad, it's not as good as it could be and it's not as easy to use as Steam.

If they can get that to be a top notch storefront on PC and a viable alternative to Steam then 3rd party developers will be less hesitant to put their titles in the Store. At that point as long as MS's exclusives remain in their store as exclusives or timed exclusives it doesn't matter if people buy games on PC or Xbox. The revenue generated for MS will be the same regardless.

They'll lose some XBO purchases to Steam potentially, but they'll potentially pull some purchasers away from Steam. Again, this assumes that the Windows store is improved significantly from its current state. I don't have issues with the Windows store, but I know many people that do.

At that point, it doesn't matter how well Xbox does against the competition. What matters then is how well the Microsoft platform, Xbox and Windows, does against the competition.

Obviously not there yet. But I increasingly feel that this is the direction that MS is moving.

Regards,
SB

That would be fantastic. More and more I become convinced that MS is moving to one platform instead of dual platforms as it currently is. The Xbox will just be a console that is a cheaper, more trouble free, and more focused (games primarily) way to access that platform.

The following quote is important in that context.

If this is going to work then it is imperative for MS to improve the Windows Store and UWP. While it isn't bad, it's not as good as it could be and it's not as easy to use as Steam.

If they can get that to be a top notch storefront on PC and a viable alternative to Steam then 3rd party developers will be less hesitant to put their titles in the Store. At that point as long as MS's exclusives remain in their store as exclusives or timed exclusives it doesn't matter if people buy games on PC or Xbox. The revenue generated for MS will be the same regardless.

They'll lose some XBO purchases to Steam potentially, but they'll potentially pull some purchasers away from Steam. Again, this assumes that the Windows store is improved significantly from its current state. I don't have issues with the Windows store, but I know many people that do.

At that point, it doesn't matter how well Xbox does against the competition. What matters then is how well the Microsoft platform, Xbox and Windows, does against the competition.

Obviously not there yet. But I increasingly feel that this is the direction that MS is moving.

Regards,
SB
the Windows 10 store should stop looking like a store for a phone, to begin with. It's obvious that the unified experience is the long term strategy. I think Xbox 3 is going to be something totally different from past Xbox consoles, if a console at all. They are also creating certain ties with the competition, like Rocket League being crossplay between Switch and One, same for Minecraft. Age of Empires is an entirely different matter and I don't see it coming to Xbox consoles til keyboarb/mouse combo is a reality, something that Phil Spencer said they are working on but never came to fruition.

Rumoured backwards compatible OG Xbox games:

DMqamKZUQAIaiOX.jpg

XBOX One X Enhanced titles now show up in your Games and Apps filter. Whoops these only apply to the 360 BC ones.

I guess they are already at limits with OF Xbox BC.

Last edited:
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/10/...ox-games-announced-for-xbox-one-compatibility

- 13 titles
- enhanced to 1080p, better framerates, faster loading times
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  • Ninja Gaiden Black
  • Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
  • Fuzion Frenzy
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • Psychonauts
  • Dead to Rights
  • Black
  • Grabbed by the Ghoulies
  • Sid Meier’s Pirates!
  • Red Faction II
  • BloodRayne 2
  • The King of Fighters Neowave

OGSSAA probably makes sense with a bit of scaling involved to hit TV output.

e.g. 640x480 -> 1280x960 -> 1440x1080 w/ side bars for games that do not support anamorphic 16:9.

Back