Gran Turismo Sport [PS4]

Pretty good review, I think they get most things right here. I’m surprised at how much more polished this game is versus the old games, personally, and while I expected it to have a lot less of the single player stuff in there, in the end there’s really not that much difference as I thought. I always found the main game, the set races, actually quite boring, getting mostly excited about winning cars, as the AI often wasn’t interesting and I was frustrated with not being able to qualify, etc., and the crazy 24h races meant I would never finish a campaign ever. But with this I am very free to pick whatever race I want to, online or offline, and progress that way. I’m really happy with the game ... !

Something I like is that arcade mode and custom race giving some point, it a great idea...

The sound is actually quite impressive during replays. Probably more impressive than competition. The sound of the car echoing in the environment based on distance and position is very realistic!
Sounds very close to a Porsche race I ve seen in the Abu Dhabi Track. It is very underestimated IMO

Yeah, the flyby sounds are great. Pleasantly surprised how much it improved over the beta.

btw, setting the game to framerate priority mode also implements some nice looking motion blur for non-cockpit cams.

gameplay
SrX8KE.png

z3gvkP.png

My qualifying lap wasn’t updated yet (it’s a 8.2 now)and this time I ended up quite far in the back, so I decided to try to drive as cleanly as possible. Not all manage as well as I think I did in this race ;) but it is nice to see that the game does recognize my efforts to drive clean and gives me a 150% credit boost for it ... also in the video are some bad attempts at some of the Missions, but you can see it’s still possible to get silver with lots of bad mistakes ;)

i found the sound to be better in replay in time trial when you hear only your car without the buzzing sounds of AI cars.
And BTW, in this video, the F458 sounds really really good !

I dont understand PD's approach. They supposedly made all this effort to create those super detailed cars for GT5 and GT6 so they won't have to redo all the work for the next generation.
Next generation comes, and it looks like they made all the cars from scratch again or at least a large portion of them. The cars are so hyper detailed that I am sure a lot of time was wasted just to make the slightest detail as accurately as possible. The detail is overkill. It goes wasted when LOD kicks in. It is in general wasted as these are so tiny details that barely anyone will ever notice.
With a team of 100 or 200 people without outsourcing, they do things in an inefficient way, even though they are super talented. 4 years in the making and the game still misses, not just in content but in significant areas because even then, time was a pressure. They didnt have the time to refine every bit that finally found way in the release. During the beta there were a lot of noticeable shortcomings which they have been addressing until release (and did a great job at that). Yet, for such a large focus to a narrower scope and specific elements they missed areas you would expect perfection. For example I ve heard that the force feedback doesnt give all the feedback from the game's physics. That is a contrast to Kazunori's vision and the fact that the game has great in game physics and is used to recruit racing talent.
On the other hand another competitor manages to carry over all the work from the previous games, adding improvements and refinements in the process which results to a game that increases in content and features. PD starts a lot of things from scratch and they reduce time for refinements and additions.
The traditional career mode isn't the biggest loss with GTS. The biggest loss is a large number of tracks, cars, variety in driving conditions and the force feedback not being the best implementation.

I dont understand PD's approach. They supposedly made all this effort to create those super detailed cars for GT5 and GT6 so they won't have to redo all the work for the next generation.
Next generation comes, and it looks like they made all the cars from scratch again or at least a large portion of them. The cars are so hyper detailed that I am sure a lot of time was wasted just to make the slightest detail as accurately as possible. Even details that almost none will ever see.
With a team of 100 or 200 people without outsourcing, they do things in an inefficient way, even though they are super talented. 4 years later and the game still misses, not just in content but in significant areas because even then. time was a pressure. They didnt have the time to refine every bits. During the beta there were a lot of noticeable shortcomings which have been addressing until release (and did a great job at that). Yet, for such a large focus to specific elements they missed areas you would expect perfection. For example I ve heard that the force feedback doesnt give all the feedback from the game's physics. That is a contrast to Kazunori's vision and the fact that the game has great in game physics and is used to recruit racing talent.
On the other hand another competitor manages to carry over all the work from the previous games, adding improvements and refinements in the process which results to a game that increases in content and features. PD starts a lot of things from scratch.
The traditional career mode isn't the biggest loss with GTS. The biggest loss is a large number of tracks, cars, variety in driving conditions and the force feedback not being the best implementation.

The artist don't work on FFB implementation. Outsourcing has impact on content only.

Last generation the technology(SPU) they choose to work on GT 6 is not existing anymore...

At least next gen the technology will be compatible probably (x86 AMD GPU and AMD GPU)

https://www.finder.com.au/gran-turismo-8k-playstation-5

During the studio tour, Kazunori Yamauchi took us from desk to desk, showing his staff beavering away on the game and the insane amount of detail the team goes to make the experience authentic. It’s really quite insane.
At one particular desk, he zoomed right in on the wheel of a car to show the small-type – like the PSI – was in place and legible. A ridiculous detail given you’ll never notice at 300km/h flying down from the heights of Mount Panorama.

Then he said the following: "It takes six months to create a single car. It’s over-specced for PS4 Pro. So we are building for future versions of the console rather than the one we see today".

Other interview speaking about the cars and giving the number of 200 people's

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/06/2...-steering-wheels-and-shifting-gears-ign-first

“The models that we use for Gran Turismo Sport now, these models will probably support generations of consoles beyond the PlayStation 4 and the PlayStation 4 Pro,” says Yamauchi.
“This level of data will probably carry us for the next 10 years or so, I think, because the level of precision of these models is unmatched anywhere in the world right now. The only models that are higher in quality to what we have here would be the CAD models coming straight from the manufacturers, which cannot be rendered in real-time, obviously.
“For models that can be rendered in real-time, this really is the best data that you’ll find anywhere in the world.”

And it is not like the over-specced model are not in GT Sport, they are available into the showroom...

For weather condition and dynamic TOD Project Cars 2 is fully dynamic but run like shit on standard PS4 under rain condition(40 to 60 fps with tearing) GT 5 or 6 framerate level...

For Forza 7 it is a compromise with a semi dynamic weather condition.

And like I said before the tech is ready for fully dynamic weather and dynamic TOD but maybe a stable framerate is not reachable on PS4 standard...

Edit: And Kaz thought about outsourcing

https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-y...g-to-help-development-of-gran-turismo-titles/

Last edited:
Imo GT sports do much less than G5 or 6 but the polish/quality is at least good.

The biggest problem of the game is the content.

And the technology is this time at least future proof (dynamic weather and dynamic TOD friendly...) and car are over-specced but done without using a non future proof technology (SPU adaptative tesselation...)...

Next generation showroom car can be LOD0 and other version LOD1 and so on...

Last edited:
As an “esport”, doesn’t it make sense for the game to have more controlled environments and weather to “normalize” the data for comparison? I mean, the arcade version should still be no holds barred but I get why actual events would be hyper controlled for equitable results.

New I dont understand PD's approach. They supposedly made all this effort to create those super detailed cars for GT5 and GT6 so they won't have to redo all the work for the next generation.
Next generation comes, and it looks like they made all the cars from scratch again or at least a large portion of them. The cars are so hyper detailed that I am sure a lot of time was wasted just to make the slightest detail as accurately as possible. The detail is overkill. It goes wasted when LOD kicks in. It is in general wasted as these are so tiny details that barely anyone will ever notice.
I think/wonder that if they decide to change the way the render pipeline was built if that resulted in a modelling overhaul, or if not an overhaul a reduction in content because it was so much work for 1 car for instance.

As for their competitor, they had to redo tracks and assets as well over the course of 2013 to their latest release. I guess it's very much the result of aiming for higher accuracy and just new rendering methods/changed requirements (higher resolution for 4Pro and Scorpio).

Always a curious thing to discuss. I would love to see a siggraph on GTS by PD

All people speak about the shortcomings of GT Sport but many area are improved compared the to PS3 GT games(sound, framerate, online, driving with a pad, menus, polishing..). All this area were horrible on GT 5 and 6 not coming from good to great but more from bad to good or great...

I am having a great time with this game at least! Had a good online race yesterday as well, starting to get the benefit of clean racing (I’m ‘A’ now) and really am pitted against other high level racers.

I am having a great time with this game at least! Had a good online race yesterday as well, starting to get the benefit of clean racing (I’m ‘A’ now) and really am pitted against other high level racers.
Are you using a steering wheel?

i found the sound to be better in replay in time trial when you hear only your car without the buzzing sounds of AI cars.
And BTW, in this video, the F458 sounds really really good !

If you could play the entire game like that I'd buy it in an instant. VR has completely ruined flat screen racing for me.

The biggest loss is a large number of tracks, cars, variety in driving conditions and the force feedback not being the best implementation.

I'm so torn between GTS and Project Cars 2. PC2 have lots of content but also lots of bugs while GTS is working game with few bugs but track count is low. 6 real world track locations is not enough and we don't know anything specific about DLC.

Sport mode is IMO the best feature of all console sim racing games. It really makes a big big difference by offering a unique mode where online players are actively striving to drive safely.

I'm so torn between GTS and Project Cars 2. PC2 have lots of content but also lots of bugs while GTS is working game with few bugs but track count is low. 6 real world track locations is not enough and we don't know anything specific about DLC.

If you have a PS4 standard framerate of PC2 is very bad if it is a PS4 Pro it is ok...

Back