AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

Isn't it a good idea to at least check out ryzen reviews first before buying anything? Unless it's an excessively long wait perhaps, or if you really need a laptop right now...

I forgot to say that the laptop has a £100 discount till 22 October. Normal price is £829, hence my "struggle" :D

How can the tessellation difference be so big between 2500u and 2700u? I would expect the difference to be much smaller because clocks should be similar and same amount of front end? The other interesting one is off screen texturing , that score on the 2700u is as high as my vega 56 with 64 bios OC + UV ( hits around 1600mhz) running 17.10.1 fall update. On screen is almost 1/10 my vega's score.

That's a terrible video though... Literally shows nothing whatsoever of what is supposedly to come, nor does the animation even conform to reality. :p

I don't know where pcper got the 35W number from, but those early slides claimed the FP5 BGA Raven Ridge would range between 12 and 45W.

Of course for simplicity sake it would make much more sense for AMD to use the U suffix to place Raven Ridge directly against Intel's U offerings, and that would mean 15-28W.
The 35-45W versions should use a different suffix.

https://i0.wp.com/www.techarp.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Ryzen-Model-Number-Decoder-01.jpg?resize=1000,583

i think its a fair assumption that:
M is sub 15watt
U is 15-28watt
H is 28-45 watt

It looks like R7 2700U supports XFR, so this could explain higher TDP limits.

I think AMD is teasing their event on November 2nd.

Looks like there will be at least a paper launch today with slides claiming performance figures and latpop models coming with the APUs, and then November 2 is when they lift the review embargo and the laptops become available.

Maybe they pushed the paperlaunch forward because of the current drop in share value that happened because they announced they're expecting a drop in revenue during Q4.

EDIT: One singled-out sentence that speaks worlds:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700U (with mXFR) vs AMD Ryzen 7 2700U (without mXFR): ~23% better

We have actually been seeing this in Intel Core U offerings. For example, during GPU-intensive applications the Surface 4 Pro and Surface Pro 2017 offer close to 20% better performance than many 2-in-1s due to Microsoft's robust cooling solution.
This is simply putting things black in white.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryzen 7 2700U and 5 2500U

2700U: 4c/8t - 2.2/3.8GHz with 10 NCU
2500U: 4c/8t - 2.0/3.6GHz with 8 NCU

TDP: 15W

Firestrike
figures:

Ryzen 2700U: 2544
Ryzen 2500U: 2056
Core i5 7200U: 940
Core i7 7500U: 932
Core i7 8550U: 878

Within the next 2 weeks we'll see availability of ultranotebooks from HP, Lenovo and Acer.
EDIT: It seems they were a little bit dishonest creative with the 8550U because that one is using single-channel RAM.

eAPMpEU.png

Regardless, given the scores from the other two, the 8550U with dual-channel 2400MHz DDR4 is unlikely to pass the 1000 mark, seeing how it's the exact same iGPU.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not AMD's invention; it's called 4-way SMT. IIRC, there are 8-way SMT processors out there (e.g. from Sun/Oracle)

That's not AMD's invention; it's called 4-way SMT. IIRC, there are 8-way SMT processors out there (e.g. from Sun/Oracle)

Not on the x86 world, plus that was not true, just a typo from Tottenz part ;)

EDIT - Ok, it "exists" in the x86 world. Larrabee and its offspring have it.

Corrected.

But yeah, IBM's Power7 cores had 4-way multithreading and Power8 cores do 8-way.
The latest (and last, because their engineering team was fired last month) Sun SPARC cores could also do 8-way SMT.

Back