Star Wars Battlefront II (SW:BF2) [PC]

Worth a listen whilst doing something else. TB on the progression of loot boxes this year and crossing jumping way past the line. Significant section during it on BF2 and the ability to buy your way through all the upgrades. The latter part of the discussion on gambling in games also highly interesting.

I do not understand how DICE came to these ideas. From my point of view it is embarrassing. The only good thing is that I can turn down the motion blur. At the standard values it blurres the whole picture where I get a headache. Uncharted 4s and The Order 1886s motion blur had an similar impact to me.
It would interesting to see how the picture would look without all these artifacts. The Moiré effect will most probably remain. Hopefully, there will be no oversharpness as in Battlefield 1. At the moment, BATTLEFRONT looks more cinematic than Battlefield 1 and BATTLEFRONT II. I liked the visuals from BATTLEFRONT I so much I ve played it 400 to 500 hours since 2015. ^^

Unfortunately, compared to closed BETA the game speed has risen. I found the closed BETA much better to play and more tactical. At least they have now upgraded some classes which were previously too weak (Assault).
What is Moiré effect?

The problem with texture mapping of objects is that the player should be able to view them from near and far. Depending on the appearance of the object the texture also has to change its shape and size. Distortions or flicker (moiré effects) occurs particularly with patterns with oblique or rounded lines.
BATTLEFRONT II does not have Mipmaps (texture LODs) in order to counteract this.

In addition to the bitmap of the original texture the Mipmap copies of the texture with decreasing size (LOD). The additional saving of the detail stages takes more memory space but it pays off by better picture quality and faster calculation. Because of the fact that textures were scaled to the smallest possible extent it minimizes aliasing effects in texture mapping. As far as I remember the use of Mipmaps in combination with bilinear filtering is trilinear filtering and reduces aliasing effects further. In combination with even better filters and interpolation methods between the detail stages they can reduce the aliasing to a minimum.

Last edited:
This is an article about the loot boxes and how these contain game changing massive buffs/upgrades etc...i.e. the new BF game is indeed pay to win on top of the standard 60 Euro price.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-09-star-wars-battlefront-2-has-a-loot-crate-problem

I am really curious about how DICE turned into this evil cooperation that wants death and pain for everyone on earth?

What happened to those goons...they lost there souls when signing the EA contract?

I was looking forward to play this game on my new PS4 pro...not anymore.

What’s the matter, you have an issue with pay-to-win in your competitive shooter?
Sheesh, there is no pleasing some people.
Do you think EA shareholders run a charity?

Luckily, it’s not as if I’m not drowning in enough entertainment options to last me ten lifetimes, even if I devoted them all to amusing myself.
I can choose not to buy. I’ll survive.
We are not compelled to support these business practises.

I am really curious about how DICE turned into this evil cooperation that wants death and pain for everyone on earth?

What happened to those goons...they lost there souls when signing the EA contract?
What happened was there's now a single player campaign and EA wants to make people pay for it using other means beside the initial cost.

DICE only follows EA's orders. Battlefront 1 cost X to make and it brought X*a of revenue. Battlefront 2 cost X+Y to make so it must make at least (X+Y)*a of revenue.
DICE has no say on the game's MSRP/SEP, and it most definitely has no say on whether or not implementing P2Win turds.

What’s the matter, you have an issue with pay-to-win in your competitive shooter?
Sheesh, there is no pleasing some people.
Do you think EA shareholders run a charity?

Luckily, it’s not as if I’m not drowning in enough entertainment options to last me ten lifetimes, even if I devoted them all to amusing myself.
I can choose not to buy. I’ll survive.
We are not compelled to support these business practises.

The player base will drop really fast if only the people who pay to win get a chance at the scoreboards.
No one wants to play a fixed game, regardless of how much fun the game is or how pretty it looks.
For example, I played my share of Battlefront 1 and I know you're pretty much cannon fodder in most maps until you get the jetpack.

If this now happens not for effort but for extra money thrown to it, I think the game is screwed.

This is an article about the loot boxes and how these contain game changing massive buffs/upgrades etc...i.e. the new BF game is indeed pay to win on top of the standard 60 Euro price.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-09-star-wars-battlefront-2-has-a-loot-crate-problem

I was looking forward to play this game on my new PS4 pro...not anymore.
I definitely hate paid map packs in a 60-$70 game but could you explain how BF1 is pay to win? I don't have Premium and frequently place in the top 5 of my team, occasionally being #1.

Also paid maps are simply not a good business model. It splits and ultimately kills the playerbase. I reckon EA would make more money giving maps and new weapons/vehicles for free and instead focus on monetizing cosmetic and other frivolous upgrades that gamers tend to spend stupid amounts of money on in other games I've seen. I understand they let you purchase mystery crates with real money in BF1, but if everyone stops playing because of the Premium map clusterfuck it won't make them much money in the long run. Seems to work fantastically for TF2 and Overwatch.

Last edited:
I definitely hate paid map packs in a 60-$70 game but could you explain how BF1 is pay to win? I don't have Premium and frequently place in the top 5 of my team, occasionally being #1.
Are you referring to Battlefront 1 or Battlefield 1? Either way, he's referring to Battlefront 2?

Are you referring to Battlefront 1 or Battlefield 1? Either way, he's referring to Battlefront 2?
Whoopsy, I was talking about Battlefield 1 :oops:

Never played Battlefront 1 (the new one) since I read is was a consolized piece of shallow trash. I did put some hours into the old Battlefront games and they were a blast.

Battlefield 1 on the other hand is the best game I've played in years. I can't recall having this much fun in a multiplayer game since Bad Company 2. BTW what makes BC2 such a great game? It is tied with Halo 3 as my favorite multiplayer FPS ever but when I stop to think about it I struggle to justify my opinion.

Did download the beta & played a bit.

That overlay effect is really shit & needs to go. Otherwise very beautiful.

I suck/gameplay is super fast like BF1 which is disappointing, I thought it was gonna be a bit slower but maybe I was just projecting :unsure:

I decided to skip this game because of the p2w loot crates. Such a cynical decision. Too bad since the game looks great. Who enjoys getting mowed down by chinese millionaires with +50% health and dmg at release?

I hope loot crates will be recogniced as gambling and litigated as such.

PC Options:
bf2filter03rf1.png

Looks like this game will have much less of these ugly effects.

Kashyyyk Gameplay:

More:

Mos Eisley Gameplay:

Kamino Gameplay:

Hoth Gameplay:

Star Killer Base Gameplay:

I thought the same thing in Battlefield 1 where I described them as Slapstick like. In my opinion the animations are better here but the droids could be more sluggish. In general, the whole tempo in this game should be reduced.

EDIT:

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - New Ultra Realistic No HUD Multiplayer Gameplay in First Person!:

--

DX12 has a dynamic resolution enabled! Do not trust every benchmark.

Last edited:
Here is a review:

Talking about how the p2w progress system helped him gain his lvls so fast and how he dominated the games as a star fighter...and most likely continue to dominate as the progress system is so slow for those that don‘t spend another 90$ on mt.

(Since when is 90$ „micro“???)

Back