Debating CPU/mobo upgrade.

Not as good as your Microcenter deal but I figure you might appreciate another option.
At Newegg for today only (sometimes it last longer than one day but not always)
AMD RYZEN 5 1600X 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 95W YD160XBCAEWOF Desktop Processor, ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac AM4 AMD Promontory X370 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
$279.99

Plus a $20.00 mail in rebate

Plus's
its the 1600x not the 1600
Its the x370 chipset not the b350

Minus's
no cooler

edit - actually I think this is one day only. Also I forgot a link:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3665661

Last edited:
What takes so much of your time supporting high schoolers? Are they home schooled?

My daughter has been having severe anxiety issues the last few years, started shortly after I started my part-time job a few years ago and I will NOT repeat the same mistake!

She's doing better, great even...but she ain't 100% yet. I can't afford not to be there for her right now, especially not just for something I want for myself!

It's not an option, trust me on that.

As for putting something in a piggy jar each month, well I got nothing to put in it so it's gonna take a long time for it to fill up to the point I need.

I'm just gonna wait and see what happens, there ain't a lot I can do to influence events right now anyways. I think my thinking of upgrading is just my personal form of escapism/mental masturbation more than anything else anymore. :(

Sorry, not really a question I should be asking anyway. Not my place to decide how you spend your days.
No problem, it's all good. It's a fair question and I hope you didn't think I was trying to bite your head off with my reply. I'm just sensitive about it since that's how I got things all mucked up in the first place.

I'm a dad first and foremost, I don't forget that anymore.

Digi if you're still interested in a CPU and motherboard you might want to look at microcenter right now. I got an email from them and a 1700X is $229... so I went to the website and they have a combo with a motherboard for $259.99 after rebate.

Digi if you're still interested in a CPU and motherboard you might want to look at microcenter right now. I got an email from them and a 1700X is $229... so I went to the website and they have a combo with a motherboard for $259.99 after rebate.
Wow! That's less than the ticket I had to pay off Monday and the new carpet cleaner I had to pick up yesterday!

I appreciate the update, and believe me I've been keeping my eyes open, (Microcenter is also offering a decent 1TB 7200rpm HDD for $30 right now), but it doesn't really matter how cheap it is or how fantastic the deal is..it's just not going to happen for a while. There are way too many priorities before I get to buy myself toys.

Gods I hate saying that, but it's just the truth. I want it, I really do, but I just can't in good consciousness spend money on a new computer or upgrade when there's stuff the family needs and xmas coming up. I just can't, it's the same reason everyone in the house's computer is better than mine; family comes first.

You have no idea how much that can drive me crazy at times, but I'm pretty sure it's the right call and either way I'm sticking to my guns on it. I appreciate the heads up, but until I can get my family in shape and its problems worked out I got a lot more important things to focus on than computers and gaming.

But believe me, that does NOT mean I don't want to still. I do, so bad it hurts at times. I would kill for a good 18 hour session with a game I've never played that I get so engrossed in that I have to remind myself to stop to use the bathroom, I HATE seeing all these titles come out I know I can't run, and I'm even getting a little annoyed hearing my son talk of his gaming exploits just because (and I feel like a dick admitting it, but it's true) I'm jealous that he can right now.

<sigh>

/me bursts in to tears and just openly weeps on his desktop for a while.

My day will come. Life is just really busy for me right now with too many things competing for a finite amount of attention I have available. It'll improve, it always does, just gotta keep doing my best and muddling through like always. Well it'll either get better or it'll kill me, but either way it's problem solved. :)

Back