Advice on FreeSync 4K Monitor Purchase *spawn*

I would suggest you to buy an HDR display if you can afford one. Im still with a 24' 60Hz 1080p display. I'll change when A good HDR display be available.

I would suggest you to buy an HDR display if you can afford one. Im still with a 24' 60Hz 1080p display. I'll change when A good HDR display be available.
when you decide to change.., are you going for a HDR 1080p or 4k display?

I can't afford one, alas. I mean with good HDR. I rather prefer a native 4k monitor nowadays because it is going to help immensely with my workspace. I don't have two monitors to use, but if I did I'd use both simultaneously.

However I prefer to have a single native 4k monitor because there are so many pixels and you can split windows like nothing.

Have you looked at a high dpi ultrawide instead? Go 34-37" and it's like having 2 monitors, a lot of workspace.

Have you looked at a high dpi ultrawide instead? Go 34-37" and it's like having 2 monitors, a lot of workspace.
yes I did, a friend of mine told me about that. He is going to buy one of those -he is like an artist, very good at image editing software- soon, he fell in love he told me. They look really nice and I fancy a LG model. However the 3840x1440p vertical resolution doesn't convince me because I want a native 4k screen. That's my only gripe with it.

On a different note, regarding 4k HDR screens, since I don't have the money to buy one of those and I just need a 4k monitor for the time being, my idea is to wait since 4k is just de facto standard and prices drop a little so 4k HDR is like the most normal thing in the world.

finally got the display today.. This is an off-screen capture of how it looks to give you an idea. I am so happy with it. For 4K even for a monitor, 40" or so would be a great size. The pixel density is crazy. 1080p is awesome but it's hard to want to return to 1080p once you made the jump to 4k.

Office_Lens_20171017_152849_processed.jpg

Watched videos like this one -originally recorded at 4k-. Great!

any advice on a free or reasonably priced calibration utility? I am using the default settings as of now, the gpu is set to native 4k via displayport. It looks good, but not calibrated at all.

A side effect of the monitor being a FreeSync model is that AMD has made me a loyal customer. :) I mean that I really like that technology and whenever I buy another graphics card -I have a RX 570 as of now- I am going to get a AMD model.

Last edited:
Have you tried simply starting with the built-in calibration tools in Windows?

Have you tried simply starting with the built-in calibration tools in Windows?
well, I did and after a quick tuning some details have certainly improved. This is the new look of my desktop native 4k image after a quick calibration that didn't take much time :D compared to the previous picture. Note the skin pores and overall contrast. Both pictures are off-screen taken on my phone with the awesome Office Lens app.

BEFORE calibration with native W10 calibration utility.

Office_Lens_20171017_152849_processed.jpg

AFTER calibration with native W10 calibration utility.

Office_Lens_20171019_040729_processed.jpg

BEFORE --direct link for better comparison.

https://s1.postimg.org/8s6rqoyecv/Office_Lens_20171017_152849_processed.jpg

AFTER calibration

https://s1.postimg.org/6e5yjpwybz/Office_Lens_20171019_040729_processed.jpg

finally got the display today.. This is an off-screen capture of how it looks to give you an idea. I am so happy with it.
W00t w00t for you! We're happy that you are happy. :D

From the pictures you posted it would seem you have an overhead/ceiling light source reflecting in your screen, which would screw with overall contrast and image quality... Maybe you don't notice ordinarily and it only shows up in the phone images because you're photographing from a different angle than your eyes. Just thought I'd mention, that's all. :p

Best of luck and much happyness with your new toy!

Looks like a great display. I am looking into a 32 inch 21:9 since i mostly game. However I haven't found one in my price range with 1440p (want to spend 300ish if i could usd)

Seriously, Cyan, you have a wallpaper with a girl with cyan-coloured hair? Talk about narcissism :yep2:
hahahah, said the otaku boy.
Maybe that's an actual picture of Cyan. Which would make her even more narcissistic.
hahahah, another otaku? Cyan is ok with me, if a girl has..say... snot green hair I'd have my suspicions on how she painted it. :)
W00t w00t for you! We're happy that you are happy. :D

From the pictures you posted it would seem you have an overhead/ceiling light source reflecting in your screen, which would screw with overall contrast and image quality... Maybe you don't notice ordinarily and it only shows up in the phone images because you're photographing from a different angle than your eyes. Just thought I'd mention, that's all. :p

Best of luck and much happyness with your new toy!
thanks Grall! I am super happy with it, especially the image quality. The downside is that it is so many pixels for a 28" monitor that the text and stuff looks a bit small, but I am writing at native zoom and resolution and since I write close to the monitor I am fine with it and love the crispness of everything.

As for the original pic, yes, it wasn't calibrated at the time, but there were light and reflection coming from outside so it was a factor.

The image below is a native 1080p image and I am surprised at how small it looks on a 4k monitor.
Office_Lens_20171025_003014_processed.jpg

A curved, larger monitor, like this, would be almost perfection, but I have no money to spend on one of those.
Looks like a great display. I am looking into a 32 inch 21:9 since i mostly game. However I haven't found one in my price range with 1440p (want to spend 300ish if i could usd)
A friend of mine is going to buy this curved model, a 34" native 21:9 monitor he fell madly in love with after the very first moment he saw it in person.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NJGJHZ6/?tag=b3d-21

Back