The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

The whole beacon of light part was just stupid. The Vulcans, many light years away, suddenly noticed a new star in the sky when the beacon lit up? Faster than light... light. Faster than anything known across all possible technologies ever conceived in any Star Treks, apart from Q continuum powers or equivalent. uh huh. And all space faring technology of course has to deal with intensely bright suns and any windows or displays projecting what is outside have to filter out that brightness. From a SUN. Yet this relatively small object can emit light so intense it overwhelms every sensor and filter the Federation has? uh huh.

You can tell they're going to throw out any semblance of logic or consistency for the sake of plot devices and action sequences throughout the series. Michael Bay in space.

Also I call Rainn Wilson will turn out to be a Q being.

It’s warp speed light!
It takes them days/weeks to traverse Federation space, including Vulcan, at warp speed. It was literally a couple of minutes. I realize you're being funny but this is Star Wars level of writing.

A torpedo cant fly though the shield either, you can teleport the torpedo next to the shield

They're using the shields improperly. To destroy the enemy, simply put a larger shield around their ship so when they fire a torpedo it'll blow up on them.

Still, I remember something in the original series about photon torpedoes and other high-explosive/unstable devices and compounds couldn't be used through the transporters.

Wish I had all my old manuals to check them out. Had the complete history of the Federation with all the ships listed, blueprints for the Enterprise, read every bloody third party book about it I could find. (This is the original one from the 60s, no one was expecting any come backs at this point)

I got a bit over heavily in to it, but I don't think that was a bad thing. It opened my mind to some fantastic new ideas/concepts at the time and a sense of wonder an awe at what I hoped the human race could achieve.

Corny, but that's how nostalgia works. ;)

I don't think they're planning on following any established rules.

I don't think they're planning on following any established rules.
They better! They established those rules quite thoroughly about 30-40 years ago about the pre-Enterprise Federation, if they're gonna cheat they'll have to use ex machinas just like the old series to get around tech standards/limitations. :p

The only thing that really bothered me was lens-flare *inside* the ship. Other than that, yet there are some silly things in Star Trek but between Q, the Borg, Time Travel, wormholes and earl drives I have never considered science to be anything other than an inspiration for the show rather than a strict guideline ;)

Yeah, I actually ran into an interwebs blog post discussing this particular show almost right after making my post here. Prior to Digi mentioning it, I don't think I've ever heard about this particular show before. Weird coincidences are weird... :p

It's some kind of murder/detective/courtroom drama thing? What? Not sure myself. I didn't want to spoil myself so I didn't read the blog post, I just saw like, title of show, Netflix, and a pic of what appeared to be from one of the episodes of a couple guys in suits.

Yeah, I actually ran into an interwebs blog post discussing this particular show almost right after making my post here. Prior to Digi mentioning it, I don't think I've ever heard about this particular show before. Weird coincidences are weird... :p

It's some kind of murder/detective/courtroom drama thing? What? Not sure myself. I didn't want to spoil myself so I didn't read the blog post, I just saw like, title of show, Netflix, and a pic of what appeared to be from one of the episodes of a couple guys in suits.
Mindhunter is about criminal profiling. It's based on a book by John Edward Douglas who was one of the first ones. It is a fine show and the soundtrack is amazing.

Also the protagonist is named Holden Ford which is a nice automotive easteregg.

Yeah, it's about how he started the department of behavioral study at the FBI...the guys who analyze serial killers and such. Fun, addictive as hell, and educational in its own way. :)

Finished it last night and am still sort of "Woah."-ing about it.

Also, Dirk Gently season 2 just came out? Heck, when does The Grand Tour start? Shouldn't that be soon or did Jezza's sniffles push it back.... ;)

Well, I've watched the first few episodes of the new Star Trek show. An interesting start followed by typical ST schlock.
A special star drive powered by space fungus/midichlorons/whatever which allows instantaneous travel anywhere in the universe? Might as well just call it the infinite improbability drive and be done with it! Also, the Klingons are just rubbish. Some sort of nonsense about a holy war, a super-duper cloaking technology created from nowhere without explanation and then, weeks later, the 'bad' klingon remembers about said cloaking technology and comes back to try and find it. Oh, they also talk irritatingly slowly as well.

I watched the two first episodes yesterday. It was better so far than I expected, however there's extremely heavy focus on the Michael character and Yeoh's character, Captain whatshername. The only other guy who gets more than a line or two is that perpetual whinger, the food animal guy with the weird face. And he's complaining, ALL the time, that's like, all he does. Hopefully he gets more likeable later on. :)

Back