Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

The area in the city where he notices the usual (and very noticeable, even in a compressed 480p youtube video) CBR artefacts is one of the most GPU demanding spot on base PS4 in the city (I know this because the PS4 fan could get pretty loud on this spot). And I definitely have only pixel counted 100% native 4K images with no reconstruction and zero artefacts.

I think the game switches between native 4K and CBR 4K depending of GPU load.

That would actually be clever. Probably a lot less noticeable than dynamic resolution.

Hey, it appears you're in fact right . I missed it at first but there is some slight post AA actually. Apparently they removed their expensive solution with a cheap post AA. But it's very light and doesn't bur the image and I think it still only applied on the geometry.

NX gamer found what he thinks are CBR artefacts, he thinks the game is using CBR to reach 4K. Also performance is pretty much the same with base PS4.

But personally I have yet to find any CBR artefacts. Even Horizon has artefacts on perfectly still images. If it's 4K CBR it's the best implementation we have seen yet.

Or it could be using a dynamic native 4K / CBR 4K resolution.
With CBR, there shouldn't be any artifacts in a still image, as it's essentially like a next gen deinterlacing solution. When an image is still, you can simply combine the rendered pixels from the current and previous frames, and it should be bit identical to native 4K.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

To put it bluntly, because I am not good at tech talk, there isn’t a jaggie in sight in my ks8000 after the patch so cdproject has done something right in terms of aa.

VGTech is reporting 4K CBR as well, with downsampling to 1080p. Either a very good implementation or it switches as suggested earlier. Good Pro patch either way.

Framerate is very similar between Pro/Standard. Interesting that the Pro runs a bit smoother during gameplay, but a bit worse during cutscenes.

Yeah... strange... didn't DF say Mordor was 4K mostly (with a dynamic resolution)?

Also Last of Us also has a native 4K mode... but I know, it doesn't count, as it's a remaster, right?

Shadow of Mordor is only technically dynamic resolution, but almost never drops below 4K. I think the same is true of The Division IIRC. Yep, The Last of Us also has a native 4K mode, as do the Assassin's Creed Ezio remasters.

If I’m honest, I’d much rather have higher res alpha and post process effects than native 4k.

Example, Destiny 2 looks as sharp as it needs to be but the DOF and pretty much all alpha effects runs at lower res which is really distracting. Same for the DOF on Horizon. Everything super clean and sharp but those DOF edges just break the illusion.

Shadow of Mordor is not native 4k according to your own source which is, anyway, not perfectly reliable.

I don't think that The Division runs at native 4k on Pro. Also, the game was close to 1080p on XB1.
Yea some titles are Reconstructed that they indicate as native in that list. Over time they have been making adjustments to incorrect postings. The Division is certainly one of them, but has yet to be rectified.

I personally don't care for the top gun kill board stats. Whatever the devs can do to make the best possible presentation on that hardware is most desirable; and likely that means non native/reconstructed in most cases.

Last edited:
Yea some titles are Reconstructed that they indicate as native in that list. Over time they have been making adjustments to incorrect postings. The Division is certainly one of them, but has yet to be rectified.

I personally don't care for the top gun kill board stats. Whatever the devs can do to make the best possible presentation on that hardware is most desirable; and likely that means non native/reconstructed in most cases.
Honestly, the difference between checkerboard/TI and true proper native 4K is pretty minimal, and in non freeze frames, I really can't tell the difference at all, so I'm happy as long as we have a non upscaled 4K image, however that image is created. What bothers me is when games like Uncharted 4/LL use native 1440p instead of checkerboard 4K. I realize it's easier to implement, but Naughty Dog aren't usually known for doing things the easy way. I hope checkerboard or other forms of reconstruction gets embraced more over time and lower res native renders become less common. While it's certainly nice to get native 4K when we can for lower demanding engines, most games with more demanding visuals will require checkerboard or some other form of reconstruction to achieve 4K, and to me, that's better than a lower resolution native render.

Well : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-shadow-of-war-face-off

There's no magic... and the game doesn't even run at 900p on XB1.
Usually 1620p or higher res on Pro. Which is pretty much what is expected. 1620p is 2.25 more pixels than 1080p, Pro has a GPU 2.3x more potent than PS4s.

Based on that the average resolution on XBX would be around 1950p.

Honestly, the difference between checkerboard/TI and true proper native 4K is pretty minimal, and in non freeze frames, I really can't tell the difference at all, so I'm happy as long as we have a non upscaled 4K image, however that image is created. What bothers me is when games like Uncharted 4/LL use native 1440p instead of checkerboard 4K. I realize it's easier to implement, but Naughty Dog aren't usually known for doing things the easy way. I hope checkerboard or other forms of reconstruction gets embraced more over time and lower res native renders become less common. While it's certainly nice to get native 4K when we can for lower demanding engines, most games with more demanding visuals will require checkerboard or some other form of reconstruction to achieve 4K, and to me, that's better than a lower resolution native render.

Agree about Naughty dogs. It's really a shame. And yep, (well done) CBR is definitely the future, 'native' is not worth it IMO. I think now we have enough games to showcase CBR (Horizon, Tomb Raider, BF1, The Witcher 3, Gran Turismo Sport).

Did you read the article you linked too?...
XB1 version has the less stable framerate of the 3 versions though. Maybe they should have being more aggressive with the dynamic res.

Back