What are you playing now? (console edition) [2011 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen. Easily one of my favorite last gen games has thankfully made the jump to the PS4 for a very reasonable 25€. As for the quality of the remaster: it's good. It's a port of the PC version, so there's higher resolution textures and improved drawing distances. The thick black bars have been excised from the picture as well. It's only running at 30fps, though. Sure, 60 would have been nice, but then this was a last gen game with a framerate that was frequently dipping into the teens. Probably wouldn't have been trivial. Well, it's at least rock solid now and the game feels great to play. I'm having a blast with it. The land of Gransys remains one of my favorite open world playgrounds.

Just bought Dragon's Dogma, great game I finished on the PS3. Also playing D2 with what little content is in it after each reset.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

If it comes with cheat on PS4 I will buy it I'm a heartbeat.

Last time I played it on pc with cheat it was so oooooo Oooo fun.

Anyway, still playing destiny 2 but getting more and more annoyed by it. Like... Public events rarely filled with people, slow strike matchmaking every map change...

I miss the "play 15 minutes and I feel satisfied" thing back in D1.

Still with Tomb Raider: Legend. I still miss the controls of the older games and the complexity of their huge levels and the puzzles, but I like this game. I went wow when I saw the new pool in Croft Manor. :D I also miss the loneliness feeling, BTW. I don't really like to know that I'm all the time in contact with Zip, or feeling a part of a team, rather than an occasional cooperation.

This is still Tomb Raider to me: an acrobatic, tough but sexy Lara exploring tombs, searching for mystical artefacts and facing nasty powerful enemies who are also after the same treasure. Plus, there are still final bosses (well, in Tokyo, at least... I don't know if I will fight more, as I advance in the game).

You'll get near all of the above in TR Anniversary and TR Underworld. The controls have been modernized, but otherwise these games stick really close to the old Core formula. In terms of sheer puzzle density, TR Anniversary is actually a lot more complex than the old games were.

Still with Tomb Raider: Legend. I still miss the controls of the older games and the complexity of their huge levels and the puzzles, but I like this game. I went wow when I saw the new pool in Croft Manor. :D I also miss the loneliness feeling, BTW. I don't really like to know that I'm all the time in contact with Zip, or feeling a part of a team, rather than an occasional cooperation.

This is still Tomb Raider to me: an acrobatic, tough but sexy Lara exploring tombs, searching for mystical artefacts and facing nasty powerful enemies who are also after the same treasure. Plus, there are still final bosses (well, in Tokyo, at least... I don't know if I will fight more, as I advance in the game).
Loved TR Legend on original Xbox. Wished I had waited to play it on 360 though. Intended to play Anniversary & Underworld but never got to them. May still try them if they ever make it to Games with Gold. That's how I played TR Definitive Edition. My favorite so far.

Tommy McClain

Loved TR Legend on original Xbox. Wished I had waited to play it on 360 though. Intended to play Anniversary & Underworld but never got to them. May still try them if they ever make it to Games with Gold. That's how I played TR Definitive Edition. My favorite so far.

Tommy McClain
Did you play the original games and prefer the new ones?

Did you play the original games and prefer the new ones?
Yeah, I played TR 1, 2, Legend & the 2013 Definitive Edition. Definitely preferred the 2013 version more. Supposedly Rise of the Tomb Raider is like the 2013 version with more tombs. So I think it would be even better. The open world & stealth play is why I like it so much more than the older ones. Waiting on a cheap price before I get it.

Tommy McClain

Yeah, I played TR 1, 2, Legend & the 2013 Definitive Edition. Definitely preferred the 2013 version more. Supposedly Rise of the Tomb Raider is like the 2013 version with more tombs. So I think it would be even better. The open world & stealth play is why I like it so much more than the older ones. Waiting on a cheap price before I get it.

Tommy McClain
Well, I'm playing the series in a chronological order, so I still don't know if I will prefer the new ones... However, I tell you now that the classic Tomb Raider games are my absolute favourite ever, so I'm not expecting than a more Unchartedesque (I like Uncharted, too, but not as much) formula will appeal me more.

On the more Unchartedish approach, I must point out again that I didn't imagine that Legend truly inspired Uncharted, not only the original games' premise about an adventurer and mystical artifacts, but also some of the later mechanics and mood we find in this TR installment, so... Uncharted has more TR than I thought, and this makes me think that the last TR games are more original on their own rather than just an Uncharted copy.

Well, I'm playing the series in a chronological order, so I still don't know if I will prefer the new ones... However, I tell you now that the classic Tomb Raider games are my absolute favourite ever, so I'm not expecting than a more Unchartedesque (I like Uncharted, too, but not as much) formula will appeal me more.

On the more Unchartedish approach, I must point out again that I didn't imagine that Legend truly inspired Uncharted, not only the original games' premise about an adventurer and mystical artifacts, but also some of the later mechanics and mood we find in this TR installment, so... Uncharted has more TR than I thought, and this makes me think that the last TR games are more original on their own rather than just an Uncharted copy.
Never played or even looked at videos of Uncharted, so I have no idea how it compares with the newer TR games. Absolutely loved Legend & if it inspired the newer gameplay in the reboot, then no wonder I love the newer games. I think you'll enjoy the reboot, but from the sound of it the older games may still edge it out. Depends on if you like open world style gameplay & the customizing of weapons.

Tommy McClain

Never played or even looked at videos of Uncharted, so I have no idea how it compares with the newer TR games. Absolutely loved Legend & if it inspired the newer gameplay in the reboot, then no wonder I love the newer games. I think you'll enjoy the reboot, but from the sound of it the older games may still edge it out. Depends on if you like open world style gameplay & the customizing of weapons.

Tommy McClain

While Legend is a bit more combat-heavy than the other TR games, its focus was still on solving big environmental puzzles. It has very little in common with the two recent games. Tomb Raider and Rise of the TR are straight up shooters with a bit of simplistic and showy traversal thrown in. Also lots of pointless collectibles. If you follow the critical path, these games are damn near devoid of puzzles. I like the two new games as well, but as far as I'm concerned they're basically anti-Tomb Raiders.

While Legend is a bit more combat-heavy than the other TR games, its focus was still on solving big environmental puzzles. It has very little in common with the two recent games. Tomb Raider and Rise of the TR are straight up shooters with a bit of simplistic and showy traversal thrown in. Also lots of pointless collectibles. If you follow the critical path, these games are damn near devoid of puzzles. I like the two new games as well, but as far as I'm concerned they're basically anti-Tomb Raiders.
That's why I found weird that he preferred the new games AS Tomb Raider games. I mean, we classic Tomb Raider lovers may like the new games, but as a different thing.

I still have to find a game that brings me the same level of satisfaction I used to get when I beat a classic Tomb Raider level...

Don't get me wrong. It would be nice to see more old school Tomb Raider gameplay but the gaming market is totally different now than before. I don't think the old game style could be made today. There probably wouldn't be enough interest & not enough funding to do it justice. I think the reimagining was necessary to grow the game & make it attractive to the market of today. Nice thing with an origin story is they can start before she becomes the Tomb Raider we know & love & then slowly build up to more puzzle gameplay that we like. So while I do like the newer games more, I wouldn't have a problem if they decided to increase the puzzle gameplay to more inline withe older games. That is, provided they keep the hunting & stealth gameplay, the more gun focused combat & the open world map.

Tommy McClain

Don't get me wrong. It would be nice to see more old school Tomb Raider gameplay but the gaming market is totally different now than before. I don't think the old game style could be made today. There probably wouldn't be enough interest & not enough funding to do it justice. I think the reimagining was necessary to grow the game & make it attractive to the market of today. Nice thing with an origin story is they can start before she becomes the Tomb Raider we know & love & then slowly build up to more puzzle gameplay that we like. So while I do like the newer games more, I wouldn't have a problem if they decided to increase the puzzle gameplay to more inline withe older games. That is, provided they keep the hunting & stealth gameplay, the more gun focused combat & the open world map.

Tommy McClain
No problem. We're talking personal tastes, here. :)

That's why I found weird that he preferred the new games AS Tomb Raider games. I mean, we classic Tomb Raider lovers may like the new games, but as a different thing.

I still have to find a game that brings me the same level of satisfaction I used to get when I beat a classic Tomb Raider level...

Wow, I couldn't have said it better.

Quite funny, I came in here (after being absent from this forum for months) to post that I've been playing the latest Tomb Raider (RotTR) on PS4. Not sure I really like it. No doubt, it's a very solid game, both visually and from the game play mechanics, but it just isn't a Tomb Raider game to me. I really miss the old gems, yes, even with the clunky controls (though I never perceived them as such), but they had such an extraordinary atmosphere about them that just hasn't really been captured with the newer incarnations anymore.

In fact, various parts of Tomb Raider 1 (especially the Himalayas) still count as some of my most memorable gaming experiences of all time. Walking through huge caves, fighting off wolves, solving puzzles to progress but then finding this lost valley in the middle of a tomb with a fricking t-rex living in there. Even TR2 was extremely memorable, especially the Venice level and until I figured a way to progress with the boat. Yeah, TR2 went far too violent with the human baddies, but due to the simple auto-aim shooting, it never felt like it distracted from the overall exploration and adventuring, solving puzzles and platforming mechanics of the game. I really miss them.

As good as this latest Tomb Raider is, it just doesn't quite capture the feel I used to love about the old games. Maybe this is one of the things that more sophisticated visuals has broken over time. Back then, when 3d worlds were essentially just cube-blocks with foliage textures, it was much simpler to be guided or know where the game wanted you to go next. Even the platforming element was easy: Progress to the edge by walking, do a back-step/jump and you had the perfect distance for a jump to cover a block-length obstacle. With visuals becoming so real like, it's just ain't possible to do that stuff anymore.

What a pity. I'll continue playing the this new Tomb Raider game. I like it for the most part, but more as a Uncharted type game than a Tomb Raider.

I really miss the old gems, yes, even with the clunky controls
Well, I couldn't have said it better, too. :D I really like those controls. They are so solid that you really feel you control Lara in such an accurate way... In these new games, it's actually more difficult to aim at a specific point when you jump, and it's easier to fall off from whatever... It's also harder to calculate distances, etc.

Also, the atmosphere thing... Is it just our nostalgia or are they truly special? I still have the need to play the original games (specially I and II) once a year or so.

Playing the evil within 2 and it is so disappointing, it actually makes me kind of sad. Mind you that I am a huge fan of the first game.

Played the GWG offerings.

Oxenfree: Liked it. I'll have to spend a bit of time on the 2nd playthrough as well, as it's a game that requires it.
Gone Home: Well. Errm. I know some people really, REALLY liked Gone Home, but let's just say it's not for me. Thought the narrative aspect of it was hugely overrated as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back