Sega Genesis/Megadrive: best games?

386dx

Newcomer
Hi,

I am restoring an old Sega Megadrive II console, and I'd like to know which are in your opinion the best games for graphic, sound and gameplay. Which titles pushed the system to its limit? I know Virtua Racing game having the only SVP processor on board and I already bought it.
Thank

I am not sure about each category but games I would recommend looking up.

Sonic 2
Gunstar heroes
Earthworm jim
Streets of rage 2
Flashback
Aladdin
Micro machines 2 (built in multi tap makes more interesting )

I can't remember its name, but it was a sidescrolling platforming game where the player character was like, a caveman type guy, and you whacked bad things with wooden clubs and stuff (or maybe my memory is making that bit up?), and at least one section featured mode 7-style background rotation (which the Megadrive does not support) of the ground tilting back and forth during a big boss battle.

Was pretty impressive I thought at the time!

After playing Road Redemption for a while I gotta recommend "Road Rash" for genesis. One of my all time faves. :)

Also almost any Madden game they had and PGA World Tour. I can't even think of how many hours me and my friends killed playing those two.

Hi,

I am restoring an old Sega Megadrive II console, and I'd like to know which are in your opinion the best games for graphic, sound and gameplay. Which titles pushed the system to its limit? I know Virtua Racing game having the only SVP processor on board and I already bought it.
Thank
I'd say Thunder Force 4. It could pass for a Neo Geo game in some levels.

I own the game...

Best gameplay I'd say Earthworm Jim, I have the game on SNES, great gameplay (also graphics / music are nice) IMO.

some of the effects of the Batman game are impressive enough, so are other effects by the end of the video. But what impressed me the most is the game that resembles Starfox. It looks better than Starfox and most importantly, it runs much better! Framerate wise.

Thank you for your answers. Until now the only second hand cheap games I found some complete and some without box / manuals were:
-Hard Drivin!
-LHX Attack Chopper
-Sonic 2
-PGA Tour Golf (first)
-some SMS games when I'll find the adapter
and soon the SVP powered Virtua Racing game and maybe PGA Tour Golf 3 that seems much better than the first graphically; hope to find soon the ones you wrote here. :)

Last edited:
Back