Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody uses the Media Creator Tool - just download the ESD image directly from Microsoft and convert it to ISO file using free ESD tools, then make a bootable USB with Rufus.

ESDs for Windows 10 RS3
forums.guru3d.com/threads/official-windows-10-rs3-fall-creators-update-build-16299-15.416866/
(look for rs3_release_clientconsumer_ret_x64fre_en-us )

ESDtoISO (GUI)
bit.ly/TenForums
Step by step guide: tenforums.com/tutorials/2570-esd-iso-create-bootable-iso-windows-10-esd-file.html

ESDDecrypter
github.com/gus33000/ESD-Decrypter
DecryptESD
github.com/hounsell/DecryptESD
etc.

Rufus
rufus.akeo.ie
Funny, I use the MediaCreatorTool and it's far simpler than that, haven't had similar issues as Grall above.
Actually, I think Grall might be confused a bit - the "Windows 10" without any extras is Home or Pro depending on which key you use, other options it gives me is Home with single language and N aka the "EU version without Media Player which no-one has ever actually installed"

Nobody uses the Media Creator Tool - just download the ESD image directly from Microsoft and convert it to ISO file using free ESD tools, then make a bootable USB with Rufus.
Sounds like a shit tonne of work, tbh. Media creator tool is just like, three clicks with the mouse, when it works properly... It just goes and does its thing, then done in a few mins depending on how fast flash drive and download pipe is.

Actually, I think Grall might be confused a bit - the "Windows 10" without any extras is Home or Pro depending on which key you use
Yes, it's supposed to be that way I hear, except it wouldn't accept my key back in the day. Might've been some fuckup caused by early win10 days tho since the key I was feeding it was from win7 pro; I dunno. This time I have a fresh win10 license.

Btw, grats on being the first person EVER to install windows N-version! :LOL:

The Windows 10 Update Assistant can perform an in-place upgrade without any external media, it's on the same download page as the Media Creation Tool :
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
The assistant won't let you download the ISO media or change Windows edition and language though.

I think Grall might be confused a bit - the "Windows 10" without any extras is Home or Pro depending on which key you use
No, it's a known glitch when upgrading from OEM versions of Windows 7 Home and 8/8.1 Core - see Fix Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from Defaulting to Home Instead of Pro

Media creator tool is just like, three clicks with the mouse, when it works properly...
Automatic Microsoft download tools can fail in subtle non-predictable ways before even getting to the Windows Setup screen, it's have been like this since Windows 7 - that's why enthusiast users prefer to directly download ESD files from Microsoft servers. These are the exact same ESD files as used by Windows Update and the Media Creation Tool.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...so-files/35cde7ec-5b6f-481c-a02d-dadf465df326
https://windows10.help/blogs/entry/...10-iso-files-directly-using-your-web-browser/

it wouldn't accept my key back in the day. Might've been some fuckup caused by early win10 days tho since the key I was feeding it was from win7 pro
You do NOT need to enter your product key during Windows Setup since November Update 1511 (and Windows 7/8/8.1 keys are not accepted during Setup anymore) - if asked, just skip this step by choosing "I don't have a product key", "Skip", "Do this later", etc.
If you have already activated your copy of Windows on this device, your digital license would be used automatically - and if you haven't activated it yet, enter your key in Windows Settings - Update & Security - Activation and this should create the digital license.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ing-your/d713f9f9-e91f-4ffe-a3c0-7ef9639a0559
https://www.groovypost.com/how-to-u...ivate-windows-10-anniversary-update-licenses/
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...10-directly-without-having-upgrade-first.html

And if you link your Windows login to a Microsoft Account https://account.microsoft.com, you can use the Web interface to audit the status of your digital licenses, reactivate your device and remove inactive devices. This way license transfer to a new device should be much easier for full retail versions of Windows (and some OEM licenses that allowed hardware upgrade).

Last edited:
First result for media creation tool for me gave me the page for the exact tool. Choose edition and go, downloads what you need and creates your usb installer with latest version.

Been years since we've had to fuck around with ISOs and usb boot drive tools.

You do NOT need to enter your product key during Windows Setup since November Update 1511
Yeah, they changed that after I got burnt by this wonky behavior. Anyway, I got it fixed, and MS fixed things also so should not be any problems going forward.

Never bothered with windows accounts, on general principle just to give a big fuckyou to microsoft who insisted I should have one back in the windows8 days. Fuck you, microsoft. Fuck you very much. However, what you say sounds rather convenient, so maybe I'll link now. I mean, it's been like what, five years since windows 8 launched? :D I can claim moral victory and still benefit from the advantages you presented!

First result for media creation tool for me gave me the page for the exact tool.
Maybe it works better for you native english-speakers. It would not give me the direct page for all I tried, through both MS's own search and google. And I'm crap at practical things (which is why I still haven't finished building my PC) and not the handiest person in general, but at least I can type on a keyboard! :LOL:

Well, if PCs were like Macs nobody would have to. Just connect to a network and the firmware pulls down the OS installer for you by itself... Rather handy I must say.

Maybe it works better for you native english-speakers. It would not give me the direct page for all I tried, through both MS's own search and google.
Yeah I figured it was a local issue, languages and such. Just as likely it was the EU forcing devaluing useful results cause Monopoly or some shit. The convoluted method using 5.25" disks should be a higher result! Otherwise anti-competetive!

what you say sounds rather convenient, so maybe I'll link now. I mean, it's been like what, five years since windows 8 launched? I can claim moral victory and still benefit from the advantages you presented!
Yes, quite convenient if you have several Windows 10 PCs with full retail licenses, which are transferable to new hardware - i.e. not OEM/OEI licenses which are tied to the original motherboard, except Windows 8 OEM licenses which ARE transferable.... doh.

Well, if PCs were like Macs nobody would have to. Just connect to a network and the firmware pulls down the OS installer for you by itself... Rather handy I must say.

Then why don't you just buy a MAC?

The who reason it doesn't work like that is because with a PC you are free to install whatever OS you want.

If you want to lock yourself into one OS or can't google ISO to USB then probably you should just get a MAC or preconfigured PC from somebody like Dell.

First result for media creation tool for me gave me the page for the exact tool. Choose edition and go, downloads what you need and creates your usb installer with latest version.

Unless you're trying to install windows on usb stick ;) . Wasted hours without any sucess

Then why don't you just buy a MAC?
Because of many reasons, lack of performance and choice of hardware (and lack of games software too) are major ones. Oh, and lack of bling and LEDs. Apple doesn't care for shit like that, but I do. :LOL:

The who reason it doesn't work like that is because with a PC you are free to install whatever OS you want.
The firmware could just as easily offer a choice of offers, including windows and linux flavors and whatnot. All you'd need is a standardized system for connecting OS providers to customers' computers. It doesn't have to be a one size fits all approach like Apple's.

Microsoft would be chopped to pieces by ITC or whatever watches over monopoly-stuff faster than you can say "Windows" if they ever acted like Apple does

You misunderstood . The Windows instalation itself was supposed to be on a stick (not just the install media). Which actually works more or less, but Windows does behave quite strange. The deal breaker for me was that I wasn't able to set any page file on the boot usb or on any other stick.

Unfortunatelly for the purposes of that installation (mining rig), page file was a requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back