All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2017 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice that they don't hide the fact that demand isn't high in all countries.

Many, but not all countries. May or may not even be the majority of countries where it's available.

Regards,
SB
From the blog:

After which they sold out of stock. So it's also the fastest sell out Xbox SKU ever. But not necessarily the most in qty.

It would be easier to look at total preorder sales of 1X (standard + limited) vs the Xbox One but we would have to wait until launch day to get that number. I still don't know how to break out allocation with this figure unfortunately. At least nothing comes to mind. Open to more suggestions.

If we make the assumption of 80/20 rule for preorders (80% front loaded), then we could say ~800K preorders.

I think it's possible it will surpass XBO Pre-orders. I don't say this because I think people are coming over from PlayStation. I don't think they are. I say this for all the folks upgrading and folks upgrading from 360 who waited until they got the power they wanted.

I still think MS has a lot of numbers showing that their user base has not converted over from 360. Hence the BC and game pass initiatives.

The stock is not sold out in all country. In France it is not the case. In Micromania (Gamestop) the biggest videogame retailer they only had 5000 consoles and it is not sold out. But Xbox One is slowly dying in France from what my retail friend told me...

http://www.micromania.fr/xbox-one-x-dayone-edition-80971.html

Still available for preorder...

Last edited:

The stock is not sold out in all country. In France it is not the case. In Micromania (Gamestop) the biggest videogame retailer they only had 5000 consoles and it is not sold out. But Xbox One from what tell me my friend is now slowly dying in France...

http://www.micromania.fr/xbox-one-x-dayone-edition-80971.html

Still available for preorder...
It's likely to close. They didn't sell out their allotment, but they are likely to stop taking pre-orders soon as the numbers are set and they'll only accept cancellations from here on.

It's likely to close. They didn't sell out their allotment, but they are likely to stop taking pre-orders soon as the numbers are set and they'll only accept cancellations from here on.

When the number of 5000 pre-ordered will be reach they will stop but in the official statement they said it is not sold out in all country. Like my friend told me Wednesday 1200 Xbox One X Scorpio edition were remaining. France is not the worst country for Xbox, it was the third country behind US and UK last time we had number. Only 3 to 1 ratio and the console had a limited number better than Wii U, at the same time the Xbox One was just behind the Wii U in Germany and the ratio was 4,6 to 1 against PS4. Germany is a bigger market than France which is behind US, UK, Germany and maybe Japan but a better market than Germany for Xbox. Last year it was not very good but since the beginning of the year it is very bad and they were thinking maybe the Xbox One X will help but it seems it is not the case. The allotment is very low for a day one console in France my friend told me and don't sell out in one day is the proof the Xbox brand is in very bad position in France and not because people are waiting Xbox One X... It was the hope of Micromania people.

Last number in Germany:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1265622&page=1

Only 710k for Xbox One just behind the 750k of Wii U and 3,25 millions for PS4

Sales in France:
http://www.gameblog.fr/news/66340-ps4-xbox-one-wii-u-3ds-ps-vita-voici-tous-les-chiffres-franc

It was ok and Xbox On sold more than 1 millions far behind the 3,22 millions of PS4 but not too bad. But now from what told me my friend it is a nightmare and Xbox One US sales are very good compared to Micromania (GameStop) sales in France.

http://www.micromania.fr/offre-remise-achat-ps4

The trade in were always better for PS4 than Xbox One since 2015. In April 2017 200 euros for a PS4 and 130 euros for an Xbox One. Now some shop trade in is 90 euros for an Xbox One or Xbox One S because it is very difficult to sold used Xbox One like it is difficult to sold new one...Normally it is 120 euros only for an Xbox One less than a 3DS XL... And 200 euros for a PS4...

http://www.micromania.fr/tradein-playstation

The discount sales in France and Italy were 199 euros for a PS4 and Xbox One, the difference was 4 or 5 games given with an Xbox One and PS4 was without games with hopes people will buy an Xbox One and it was not working at least in France... I live in Switzerland but I am French and I often go to France, Luxembourg, Germany and I was in Italy for holidays...

In Switzerland the allocation was very low but the console is at least sold out. Only one retailer had the console Fnac...

The Xbox One X will be successful in US and UK and it seems it will not help where the Xbox sales are bad and where the major difference in sales come from. Japan and US only explain 7,5 millions of the sales difference, the rest of the world is where the biggest sales difference between Xbox One and PS4 comes from...

Other proof of this:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ak_game_sales_drag_GameStops_profits_down.php

In last GameStop earning they said Xbox One sales are a problem despite strong Switch sales and no word about PS4 but probably good as always and reaching expectations...

Last edited:
I speak only about console market for videogames sales and I am not sure France is behind Japan because console games sales are better than Japan...

Destiny 2 biggest retail launch of the year in UK BUT...way down from Destiny 1. Down 58%

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...unch-of-2017-but-falls-well-short-of-original

(first week)

D1

PS4 192k
XBO 150k
360 58k
PS3 17k

Total 417k

Destiny 2

PS4 101,500
Xbox One 73,500

Total 175,000

Weird and seems to sap a lot of the positive feel the D2 launch had in the media.

Now can digital explain the difference? Probably not. On GAF somebody dug up a tweet where Acti said D1 digital % was "high 20's". Now digital could easily be 50 or even 60% IMO, given trends. If D2 sales were 60% digital, which would be pretty much wild optimistic, that would put it at 437.5k overall, still less than D1 plus digital. If D2 digital % was more realistic 50%, obviously that would put it at 350,000. (vs And so on. Whereas if D1 digital was lets pick a high 20's number, 28%, that would put it ~580,000 back in 2014.

As for it being on fewer platforms, maybe, but IMO there's a limited group of core gamers no matter how many platforms it's spread across. Should have little effect. At least there's still PC to come.

Another odd thing is the Destiny reddit has been stratospheric. I saw over 17k reading it (concurrent) the other day. Where in D1 that number was typically around 1,000. Too be fair I dont really remember/know what the number was around D1 launch, but I've never seen it anywhere close to that high in yr 2/3 of Destiny 1 that I paid attention.

Will be interesting when Activision makes some kind of comment, if they say anything specific to denote great sales. If they just hide completely behind generic statements and numbers (5 billion shots fired!) it could be a sign things aren't great.

I really don't know anyone in my friendlist who has purchased physical copy of D2. 1st Destiny has trained people to fire up game regularly during endgame [daily/weekly] activities, so I presume many owners of D1 are probably preferring digital copies now.

Anecdotal: of my group of 8 including me, half bought digital, one bought both. For D1, I think all of us bought physical.

I'm usually a physical kind of guy but I would have preferred digital for D2 because it takes up 99% of my game time. I got a REALLY good deal on a physical copy though so I went physical again.

Destiny 2 biggest retail launch of the year in UK BUT...way down from Destiny 1. Down 58%

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...unch-of-2017-but-falls-well-short-of-original

(first week)

D1

PS4 192k
XBO 150k
360 58k
PS3 17k

Total 417k

Destiny 2

PS4 101,500
Xbox One 73,500

Total 175,000

Weird and seems to sap a lot of the positive feel the D2 launch had in the media.

Now can digital explain the difference? Probably not. On GAF somebody dug up a tweet where Acti said D1 digital % was "high 20's". Now digital could easily be 50 or even 60% IMO, given trends. If D2 sales were 60% digital, which would be pretty much wild optimistic, that would put it at 437.5k overall, still less than D1 plus digital. If D2 digital % was more realistic 50%, obviously that would put it at 350,000. (vs And so on. Whereas if D1 digital was lets pick a high 20's number, 28%, that would put it ~580,000 back in 2014.

As for it being on fewer platforms, maybe, but IMO there's a limited group of core gamers no matter how many platforms it's spread across. Should have little effect. At least there's still PC to come.

Another odd thing is the Destiny reddit has been stratospheric. I saw over 17k reading it (concurrent) the other day. Where in D1 that number was typically around 1,000. Too be fair I dont really remember/know what the number was around D1 launch, but I've never seen it anywhere close to that high in yr 2/3 of Destiny 1 that I paid attention.

Will be interesting when Activision makes some kind of comment, if they say anything specific to denote great sales. If they just hide completely behind generic statements and numbers (5 billion shots fired!) it could be a sign things aren't great.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of people that bought Destiny on console because that was the only way to play it. A lot of people are now waiting on the PC release of the game since it offers a far superior experience.

The following is anecdotal, but in my circle of RL friends only 1 out of 10 who played D1 is going to buy it on console and I don't think any of the Twitch Streamers or YouTubers that I watch are going to buy the console version of the game. That last is definitely anecdotal as there are plenty that I don't watch that are getting the console version since they'll get more views by Streaming/VODing it ASAP.

Regards,
SB

I don't know about the UK, but in NA you would be crazy to use a disc for this game considering the small price differences ($0-$6). In my house we wen from two physical versions of D1 to two digital versions of D2. This is an MMO like game, disc swapping is a huge hassle.

UK Switch sales are slower than in other country but better than Xbox One but well behind PS4 sales

Nintendo has struggled in the UK for quite some time. Unlike the rest of Europe, the UK has actually been a strong market for Microsoft with their Xbox. If Switch has outsold the Xbox One in the UK so far this year, then Switch is most likely meeting for exceeding expectations from Nintendo in that market.

I calculated out those current gen Destiny UK sales shares real quick, PS4 and Xone. D1 (2014) PS4 was 56%, D2 (2017) PS4 share was 58% (retail).

So at least in that case X1 software is holding decently despite a lot of reports of poor hardware sales lately.

I've seen a few deals of X1 as low as 199 in the USA, maybe MS is getting serious about selling more. And when you're weaker hardware all you can do is cut price/bleed money. Still isolated though. And then there's the main hope coming up, X1X...

This is odd :

51VCC82FLdL.jpg

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B075TJWT9P/?tag=b3dfr-21

Also note that not all publishers/developers don't report their digital sales to NPD. For example, Mario + Rabbids didn't report digital sales but UBIsoft's other title Rainbow Six Siege did report digital sales.

So the industry average might actually be really close to 50/50 now. Of course depending on how much sales are PC sales, then console may still be close to 60/40 if a lot of sales are on PC. Although keep in mind that Blizzard doesn't reveal battle.net sales data.

Regards,
SB

Microsoft just announced their FY Q1 2018 earnings and as per usual they did not announce exactly how many consoles they sold.

What they did reveal however was that revenue from their gaming service was mostly flat, with hardware sales slumping even more, while Xbox software and services compensating with strong growth.

Microsoft writes that Gaming revenue increased 1% (0% in constant currency) with Xbox software and services revenue growth of 21% (up 20% in constant currency) offset by lower hardware revenue

Xbox Live active users grew 13% YoY to 53 million users, with growth across Xbox One, Windows 10 and mobile platforms.

xbox-growth.png

Gaming revenue reached $1,896 billion, nearly the same as a year ago, but that quarter was notably boosted by the release of the Xbox One S, which briefly outsold the Playstation 4.

Revenue should once again be boosted in the holiday season by the release of the Xbox One X, the most powerful console in the world.

Microsoft reported revenue of $24.5 billion (up 12%), operating income of $7.7 billion (up 15%), net income of $6.6 billion (up 16%) and earnings diluted earnings per share of $0.84, up 17% YoY and beating analyst expectations handily.

You can find the full report here.

https://mspoweruser.com/microsofts-...ce-revenue-up-21-in-stagnant-hardware-market/

Tommy McClain

Holy smokes I used to look at MS stock a few years ago and it was stagnant, 30 ish a share. Just checked and after hours it's like 82!

A lot of it is the whole market being up ridiculously in recent years though.

Looks like the quarter wasn't blowout, just good, MS stock "only" up 4.5% after hours when I just looked.

The Xbox stuff is interesting, I wonder how they keep (at least marginally) growing users. I know you can say the install base keeps growing, but at some point the number of core gamers is stagnant. that's why Halo 3 selling into ten million xbox 360 consoles can sell as well as Halo 4 selling into 50 million install base or whatever a few years later. Xbox One sales seem quite poor currently.

As I keep saying, they have a lot riding on Xbox One X. I think it will pay off though. Although it would have paid off much more if they could have hit 399. The good news is this time the hardware is good, which covers countless ills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back