Red Dead Redemption 2

I was not talking about indirect shadows, but added effects/details.

in PC games you can toggle almost any graphical features ON/OFF or define their quality, why would it be that hard for cutscenes ?

I was not talking about indirect shadows, but added effects/details.
I was, and have been, talking about indirect shadows from the start, that's what my entire first post is regarding, not 'added effects/details'.

in PC games you can toggle almost any graphical features ON/OFF or define their quality, why would it be that hard for cutscenes ?
That's not what I was saying, I'm arguing that, if they took the TLOU approach by manually placing light sources in every single interior of game, it would take a really long time and probably not the way they went with it. But at the same time, using a dynamic solution would be really expensive. It's also never been done before in any open world game, which is why it's unusual and I expect it to be cut from the final game, unless they came up with something this industry hasn't seen before.

The indirect shadows look really impressive. Doubt they're taking the TLOU approach. Doesn't seem to be any kind of AO or AO procedure I've seen before, it's also a first for an open world game. Lots more examples like this in the trailer. Makes me wonder if it's real time or running on a PS4.

The indirect shadows in that scene did also pop out for me, but I didn't notice that kind of thing anywhere else in the trailer. My guess is they just added some artist-hand-placed aditional shadow casting lights in the scene, that are probably cutscene-only. That stuff is hard to do, but not impossible. I over-analysed the initial GTAV's trailers in the same way, and there were outside scenes where characters had aditional shadows besides the sun's. Turns out it was just what I said before, a fake artist created lightsource, simulating light bounce. Those were cutscenes that only played during specific times of day, the game was full of those.

The indirect shadows in that scene did also pop out for me, but I didn't notice that kind of thing anywhere else in the trailer.
I've seen plenty of scenes where this is visible. But this where it was most noticeable, sure. I saw them around 0:18 (notice the shadows as he lifts his arm, certainly not from the fire), 0:28-29 (not very noticeable but it's there), 0:47-50 (the scene in the gif and subsequent ones) and 1:04. I also noticed them in other scenes but they weren't visible enough because they were more cluttered.
My guess is they just added some artist-hand-placed aditional shadow casting lights in the scene, that are probably cutscene-only. That stuff is hard to do, but not impossible. I over-analysed the initial GTAV's trailers in the same way, and there were outside scenes where characters had aditional shadows besides the sun's. Turns out it was just what I said before, a fake artist created lightsource, simulating light bounce. Those were cutscenes that only played during specific times of day, the game was full of those.
I have definitely noticed this in the initial trailers of GTA V and I might not be remembering this correctly but I think some of those made it into the final game's cutscenes but I don't think they're indirect shadows/lighting, though. They have separate light sources in specific cutscenes to make the characters appear brighter and sort of give it a movie/TV show like appearance, but I don't think they were trying to simulate indirect lighting and/or shadows.

It seems unlikely this is the same technique because the shadows are extremely diffuse in RDR2. I don't think the technique in RDR2 simply simulates simply a 'light bounce' like you mentioned, either. GTA V only used one additional light source in cutscenes IIRC, not 5-6 different light sources which could also cast diffuse shadows when an object appeared in front of it. Take these two images from the trailer for example from around the same scene:
IPbKWe1.jpg

j1PzHxl.jpg

One thing I didn't point out was the clipboards on the wall also being affected by extremely diffuse character shadows. I have not seen anything like this in GTA V. Also, assuming artists are manually placing these 5-6 light sources in every single indoor setting cutscene, I would think starts to fall into 'impossible' territory. The game does have regular AO (black halos that surround objects) so I don't think it will be used everywhere.

Yeah man, this stuff feels like to little to speculate over... I hope Rockstar eventually shares details of their latest interation of Rage engine. They did do a presentation on GTA IV tech but I never found it again ever since...

Will we even get a GTAVI on this current gen at this pace?
Probably not unless they do the same as GTA5: release on current gen the same year as next gen systems launched & then remaster it 2 years later on the next gen systems.

Tommy McClain

I actually like that Rockstar takes their time with games. They could pump out a GTA game every year and it'd turn to shit. They can make a GTA every 8 years for all I care, if they're waiting for the right idea. They have had a bit of a long break, but if it meant a better RDR2, then it's worth it.

Last edited:
I understand, but they are on a dangerous trend of taking longer and longer with each game. AAA games are not something you can take TOO long to release, orherwise tou release a dated game by the time you are done, or half of your dev time was spent re-doing everything from scratch because it was first conceived when the bar was lower. MaxPayne 3 took almost a decade and disapointed in sales, and was critically mehh too.

Back