Star Wars Battlefront 2 (SW:BF2)

About to fire up the MP beta. Open to all PC/PS4/Xbox. 13GB download on Xbox. Interestingly a couple GB smaller than the PS4 download, lesser textures somewhere?

Saw VG tech or somebody do a tech dive, it's dynamic 720-900 on Xbox, 900-1080 on PS4, and some sort of checkerboard that actually works out to a lower unique pixel count than 1080 on Pro.

Edit: Pro is 2304X1296 CBR.

First one was locked 720 on Xbox, locked 900 on PS4 IIRC.

Edit: Also HDR for the new HDR crew around here.

Looks nice on Xbox, VERY limited content in the demo. They went crazy with the reflections, it's kinda weird. I dont notice it looking so blurry as BattlefrontF 1 did to me on Xbox, so either the dynamic to 900P is helping, or they did other things to help camouflage the low resolution. Dont like the MP at all, and the third person animation is weird looking. Back to Destiny...

Last edited:
About to fire up the MP beta. Open to all PC/PS4/Xbox. 13GB download on Xbox. Interestingly a couple GB smaller than the PS4 download, lesser textures somewhere?

Saw VG tech or somebody do a tech dive, it's dynamic 720-900 on Xbox, 900-1080 on PS4, and some sort of checkerboard that actually works out to a lower unique pixel count than 1080 on Pro.

Edit: Pro is 2304X1296 CBR.

First one was locked 720 on Xbox, locked 900 on PS4 IIRC.
Have you seen the framerate stats though ?

Frame-time counts at 16.67ms :
(Pro, PS4, XB1): 99.49%, 92.16%, 91,23%

They'll probably unlock dynamic res on Pro later. They probably wanted a very stable framerate on Pro for the beta because it's the console version they use to promote the game.

tried the beta on pro.
the strike map ontakodana looks worse than endor in BF. Lots of pop in, low res textures, is this representative of the final game ?

Tried the Beta last night briefly. Briefly because it wasn't much fun. In Thede, barely saw anyone. Didn't have much chance to examine the weapons/skills between classes. Then sat waiting for 19 more players to join for several minutes before I gave up and played something else. But the initial impression was kinda overkill. Someone really needs to dig out the old Battlefront formula IMHO! ;)

Too much post effects in this one : film grain, chromatic aberration. IMO that's why BF was maybe better looking: BF1 was realistic, BF2 is cinematic, ruining the image quality without improving the general immersion.

@Rangers no CBR for DF on this one. 1440p dynamic res.

Too much post effects in this one : film grain, chromatic aberration. IMO that's why BF was maybe better looking: BF1 was realistic, BF2 is cinematic, ruining the image quality without improving the general immersion.

starwarsbattlefrontiibquoi.png

The game still looks very good.

Boring game. Graphics are pretty meh in MP. The single player cut scene is typical plastic emotionless faces lacking in animation.

Typical DICE with blinding effects anytime look up.

Last edited:
Haven't touched the Beta but one thing I adore after watching random gameplay+ 1st DF analysis are the smoke&sparks created when laser hits the enviroment. It just fits so well into the overall rather colorful visual style. Don't know about the actual game.It is possible that it plays best when in 3rd person and most people are used to 1st person so maybe they pick that and don't get the best out of it?

Last edited:
I'm fully aware of what I'm going to say here, in front of you all, but...

I like CA (light CA). It's difficult for me to understand you find it that jarrying, specially when it's as subte as in Recop's image.

I'm fully aware of what I'm going to say here, in front of you all, but...

I like CA (light CA). It's difficult for me to understand you find it that jarrying, specially when it's as subte as in Recop's image.
Because it blurs the image and it can be physically a problem for some of us. It can cause eye strain : it occurred to me the first time in my life playing videogames with Bloodborne.

But the most important reason should be an ideological one: Like others cinematic effects, it's not realistic ! :yep2:

Example of CA in this game (blue and red pixels are not normal):
59anFSM.png

CA + Film grain:
XTdZnc8.png

CA + Film grain + lens distortion :
v7gP9yk.png

I know how it looks and I'm sorry if it causes eye strain to some of you or you don't like it. I'm just saying that I may like it (sometimes, it doesn't mean I want it in every game). :)

So there's quite the clusterfuck surrounding the launch of this game, which will be later today.

Apparently EA is demanding something like 60 000 in-game credits for players to access Darth Vader, another 60 000 for Luke Skywalker, etc.
According to estimates made by a gamer who played the game sooner through EA Access, you need to play about 40 hours just to get 60k credits.
Or.. you can pay real money for "crystals", which can be used to purchase loot crates where your preferred hero may or may not come out.

There was an official response that quite simply blew up as the reddit post with the highest amount of downvotes, ever (300k downvotes in 20 hours, and counting):
The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.

They're trying to find a way to monetize the game while not segmenting the user base by selling map packs. There was always going to be a drawback to giving people new maps for free, and I guess this is it.

It's a lousy way to do it though. You've paid for the content. You then need to spend 40 hours to unlock it. Most people probably won't have time to unlock all the content. The end result is you don't get to play some of the game you've bought unless you pay extra through the gambling. A fair system, the system we had before Horse Armour, would just put the content behind a reasonable amount of time, like a few hours, so people had a sense of progress without feeling they're being held to ransom.

It's a lousy way to do it though. You've paid for the content. You then need to spend 40 hours to unlock it. Most people probably won't have time to unlock all the content. The end result is you don't get to play some of the game you've bought unless you pay extra through the gambling. A fair system, the system we had before Horse Armour, would just put the content behind a reasonable amount of time, like a few hours, so people had a sense of progress without feeling they're being held to ransom.

I agree. The times seem way too long. I prefer the route of unlockable cosmetics, emotes etc that Overwatch took. The problem with Star Wars is you can probably only mess with skins so much before it doesn't look like Star Wars anymore, or Disney gets mad.

Back