Red Dead Redemption 2

I saw Bonnie and Dutch, not sure if there are any other returns there.

But... Dutch? really
And.. the main character is?
Doesn't look like Bonnie.

Main character is Arthur Morgan & he is in Dutch Van see Linden's gang. Same one John Marston was originally in. So this game is set prior to Red Dead Redemption 1. The original pic from last year showing the 7 men you can see all of Dutch's gang including John Marston & Bill Williamson. Question still unanswered is whether or you will play multiple characters like in GTA5.

Tommy McClain

Looks stunning: I love the density of its foliage!

Give me a good story, iterated gameplay, and a character that's steadier on his feet, and I'm sold!

the trailer gave the goosebumps. Especially the landscapes. I hope it comes out for all next gen consoles -including the Switch- and the PC, so it runs on more platforms.

Considering their last game (GTAV) has ~8.5 million owners on Steam, it'd be silly not to release a PC version. Hell, most games would kill just to have that many sales across all platforms.

Regards,
SB

Considering their last game (GTAV) has ~8.5 million owners on Steam, it'd be silly not to release a PC version. Hell, most games would kill just to have that many sales across all platforms.

Regards,
SB
hope you are right, the PC version is most probably the best chance I have to play the game at 60 fps.

the trailer gave the goosebumps. Especially the landscapes. I hope it comes out for all next gen consoles -including the Switch- and the PC, so it runs on more platforms.

If they remaster RDR 2 for next-gen I wonder why they announced L.A Noire remaster over RDR during RDR 2's marketing. Also GTA 6 will be on PS5/Nextbox. It makes sense for them to get most out of Current-gen by releasing late in its life cycle and re-release a touched up version of that on future tech. Of course any cross-gen/remastered game is still held back by weaker consoles and the reason they don't skip this gen entirely is the established install base.

If they remaster RDR 2 for next-gen I wonder why they announced L.A Noire remaster over RDR during RDR 2's marketing. Also GTA 6 will be on PS5/Nextbox. It makes sense for them to get most out of Current-gen by releasing late in its life cycle and re-release a touched up version of that on future tech. Of course any cross-gen/remastered game is still held back by weaker consoles and the reason they don't skip this gen entirely is the established install base.

I wonder if TakeTwo just looked at the massive sales success of GTA V and said "yeah let's just do that again" ie release near the end of the console life cycle to force a cross-gen game to maximize sales.

I wonder if TakeTwo just looked at the massive sales success of GTA V and said "yeah let's just do that again" ie release near the end of the console life cycle to force a cross-gen game to maximize sales.
Does sound good business wise even more so when the difference between V and IV could be quite significant. Without going too RDR off-topic in here you have to keep in mind that it is possible that early PS4 dev kits could've been around in 2010/11 already (polishing phase of V and possible beginning phase of their GTA next project) If the game was released in 2019 at the earliest that would be 8 years with these specs in mind and It would also the be the longest gap between a GTA release. Yeah could be a beast... that took hell of a lot of time to create.

Does sound good business wise even more so when the difference between V and IV could be quite significant. Without going too RDR off-topic in here you have to keep in mind that it is possible that early PS4 dev kits could've been around in 2010/11 already (polishing phase of V and possible beginning phase of their GTA next project) If the game was released in 2019 at the earliest that would be 8 years with these specs in mind and It would also the be the longest gap between a GTA release. Yeah could be a beast... that took hell of a lot of time to create.

Actually surprised there has been such a large gap between big Rockstar releases. RDR came out 2 years after GTA 4....RDR 2 will be out 4.5 years after GTA 5...

And with RDR 2 out in 2018 I don't see GTA 6 on the horizon anytime soon. If they are going to attempt to build out the multiplayer as a service in RDR 2 like they did with GTA 5 I don't see them wanting a potential new GTA game competing with that. So I think we could be looking at a 2020 release at best for GTA 6.

Last edited:
And with RDR 2 out in 2018 I don't see GTA 6 on the horizon anytime soon. If they are going to attempt to build out the multiplayer as a service in RDR 2 like they did with GTA 5 I don't see them wanting a potential new GTA game competing with that. So I think we could be looking at a 2020 release at best for GTA 6.

It's may not be related. Rockstar has 10 studios around the world; Rockstar North (in Scotland) are responsible for GTA but have clearly been distracted by, I'm fairly certain, Take Two wanting more DLC for GTA V. Traditionally Read Dead has been produced by American Studio Rockstar San Diego.

I've not seen the Rockstar North studio name or their logo used in connection to RDR2.

Actually surprised there has been such a large gap between big Rockstar releases. RDR came out 2 years after GTA 4....RDR 2 will be out 4.5 years after GTA 5...

People tend to forget that RDR 2 was delayed for those who didn't know it was supposed to come out fall 2017 and we still don't have an official date other than "Spring 2018". While publishers create intentional gaps between their releases, unforseen delays may lead them to reduce that gap. I get what you mean with the multiplayer but on the otherhand the existing GTAOnline will compete with RDR's. They have to accept it Activision games compete with each other on a yearly basis lol
And Online portions can be fun in these games but Rockstar should Focus on Unforgettable SP anyway if you ask me.

People tend to forget that RDR 2 was delayed for those who didn't know it was supposed to come out fall 2017 and we still don't have an official date other than "Spring 2018". While publishers create intentional gaps between their releases, unforseen delays may lead them to reduce that gap. I get what you mean with the multiplayer but on the otherhand the existing GTAOnline will compete with RDR's. They have to accept it Activision games compete with each other on a yearly basis lol
And Online portions can be fun in these games but Rockstar should Focus on Unforgettable SP anyway if you ask me.

GTA V Online will compete with RDR 2 online but not to the degree a brand new GTA would...especially if it was released shortly thereafter RDR 2.

With regards to single player...I think Rockstar had a very smart execution with GTA V. And that is focus on the single player aspect of the game first and then transition to a multiplayer model. If they do that again for RDR 2 I have no worries about single player being neglected.

I like the slighty smudgy blur their post AA introduces. It doesn't make the game look defocused, nor does it make it feel like details are lost, but the softness it brings does make everything look more organic.
But knowing the gaming comunity, I fear the bitching that could be about to come from its use...
How sad. I've always prefered some organic softness over synthetic precision.

The indirect shadows look really impressive. Doubt they're taking the TLOU approach. Doesn't seem to be any kind of AO or AO procedure I've seen before, it's also a first for an open world game. Lots more examples like this in the trailer. Makes me wonder if it's real time or running on a PS4.

Also, notice the indirect specular in the corner of the room. It's unusual for an open world game to be reflecting light this accurately. Or maybe it isn't? Haven't been following since a long time.
O3KBwcU.gif

But I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't make the cut in the final code. MGS V also used a similar method of diffuse shadows from indirect light sources in the reveal gameplay trailer, but it wasn't seen in any version of the game at release.
1z3bjy.gif

Last edited:
or maybe it'll be used only in cutscenes.
That would require an insane amount of effort, which is why I think it's unusual for an open world game, especially ones with huge maps like GTA or RDR. Normally you would expect this from TLOU or Uncharted 4, but for RDR2 it seems very suspect.

well i don't see why it would be that hard ? It's already happening in Horizon.
No matter the game, a cutscene is still a fullly controlled sequence where you can crank up the details.

well i don't see why it would be that hard ? It's already happening in Horizon.
No matter the game, a cutscene is still a fullly controlled sequence where you can crank up the details.
Horizon has indirect shadows from GI? I'd love to see it in action. It's hard because it's expensive. Uncharted 4 doesn't have a day/night cycle, but games like GTA V and RDR2 do. In most RAGE games, the sun moves even in cutscenes, plus the player can trigger the mission cutscene in any time of day. This is more complex than simply using higher resolution textures or higher quality models during cutscenes and reverting back lower quality assets when the cutscenes end.

Back