FIFA 18 looks better on Switch than on PS3.

that EA would invest in creating a swich version instead of just a dirty port of ps360 was not so obvious.

Exactly! For some reason some people seem lack the comprehension that Switch ports will be judged based on their own merits, and the reasonable expectation is that they will not be on par with the PS4/X1 builds, but "should" surpass the 360/PS3 builds. After the poor track record of ports on Wii U, there was a lot of skepticism surrounding the quality of multi plat ports to Switch. So far so good. NBA 2K18 and now Fifa 18 both seem to be competent versions, and something that many Switch owners may like to purchase. There are bound to be a lot of Switch owners out there who could care less that there are other "superior" versions on rival consoles, they want to play on Switch, and as long as the Switch build is solid they will consider purchasing. Now if a port arrives on Switch that is only on par with 360/PS3 or possibly even inferior, then consumer perception will likely be negative. Expectations for every console is going to be different.

Would it be fair to score multi plat games on PC a lot higher than PS4 and X1? For example, Doom is a 9.5 on PC, 8.5 on PS4, and 7.5 on Xbox One? I feel it safe to assume that most people would not agree with scoring games this way, but when it comes to Switch I see people in the gaming community imposing this tiered system onto Switch titles. When somebody says a given game is impressive on a given console, it is being judged based on the expectations gamers have for that console.

Exactly! For some reason some people seem lack the comprehension that Switch ports will be judged based on their own merits, and the reasonable expectation is that they will not be on par with the PS4/X1 builds, but "should" surpass the 360/PS3 builds. After the poor track record of ports on Wii U, there was a lot of skepticism surrounding the quality of multi plat ports to Switch. So far so good. NBA 2K18 and now Fifa 18 both seem to be competent versions, and something that many Switch owners may like to purchase. There are bound to be a lot of Switch owners out there who could care less that there are other "superior" versions on rival consoles, they want to play on Switch, and as long as the Switch build is solid they will consider purchasing. Now if a port arrives on Switch that is only on par with 360/PS3 or possibly even inferior, then consumer perception will likely be negative. Expectations for every console is going to be different.

Would it be fair to score multi plat games on PC a lot higher than PS4 and X1? For example, Doom is a 9.5 on PC, 8.5 on PS4, and 7.5 on Xbox One? I feel it safe to assume that most people would not agree with scoring games this way, but when it comes to Switch I see people in the gaming community imposing this tiered system onto Switch titles. When somebody says a given game is impressive on a given console, it is being judged based on the expectations gamers have for that console.

Depends on the game: no-one would rate Batman Arkham Knight higher on the PC. If a game ought to be 60fps, if that's its very essence, but can't hit that framerate on the Switch, then scoring it lower is reasonable.

Also, nothing is judged within a vacuum. Switch games will be judged both within the parameters of other games on the platform and, as this thread proves, against other games on other platforms.

And what's with the victim mentality that seems to follow Switch owners around? It's mobile hardware, doing a decent job of functioning as a home console, but that's not enough for some people. Just like the PS4 isn't enough for some PC gamers. Them not liking it doesn't mean they're being unfair.

Is it just a sign of the times? "Someone doesn't agree with me, therefore I'm being oppressed."

Depends on the game: no-one would rate Batman Arkham Knight higher on the PC. If a game ought to be 60fps

While I do agree that some genres play nicer with 30fps than others; I would say that most games do benefit from 60fps. I played Batman AK on my budget PC at 720p 60fps, and the game certainly plays nicer at 60fps. Not that it is unplayable at 30fps, but is a bit better at 60fps.

Also, nothing is judged within a vacuum. Switch games will be judged both within the parameters of other games on the platform and, as this thread proves, against other games on other platforms.

Certainly, but at the same time when I hear very cynical statements that really do not add anything to the discussion it gets old. I see it as a similar "master race" mentality that we have seen from some PC guys. I am sure you have seen people suggest that anything less than 120fps is "unplayable" for them.

And what's with the victim mentality that seems to follow Switch owners around? It's mobile hardware, doing a decent job of functioning as a home console, but that's not enough for some people.

It isn't a victim mentality, but more so vindication. I am a Nintendo guy, so I have been part of the Switch discussion since the first NX details were announced/leaked. I have read countless opinions that Switch was dead on arrival. The Tegra X1 is too weak for third party games, and without third party games nobody will buy the Switch. Rhetoric like that has simply morphed into critical statements about the quality of the third party ports. There is no longer any basis for the previous negative arguments, so it has morphed into new talking points taking shots at the ports for not being on the same technical level as PS4/X1.

I would say that most Switch owners are extremely pleased with the product so far. The Switch lineup this year is looking to have multiple titles up for game of the year awards. Indie support has been phenomenal, and honestly western third party support has been better than I was expecting this year. I shake my head when people criticize EA for their Fifa effort on Switch. 1080p at 60fps and visuals splits the difference between last gen and current gen Fifa on PS4/X1. In my book that is a commendable effort from the team over at EA.

Still, 300$ 2017 tablet can't do basic online functionalities available on 11 years old hardware.

I think you meant to say can do basic online functionalities but for some dumb ass reason Nintendo doesn't implement them. No defending Nintendo on that, they make some decision that hurt my brain at times. Netflix has come out and said the App is ready for Switch and they waiting on Nintendo. Why Nintendo? Because.......Nintendo! LOL

So I recently was curious what was the actual power of the Switch since I hadnt paid great attention.

It's about 400 Gflops docked and 200 undocked? 25.6 GB BW, and 4 GB RAM?

So undocked the flops are roughly in league with PS360. But, due to much more modern architecture it should actually be stronger relatively. Docked, it's about double those. Alternatively, docked it's something like 1/3 of an Xbox One.

Bandwidth should compare ok to PS360 due to much more modern compression abilities on the chip?

The real stat that should push it ahead of PS3/360, though, is 4GB RAM.

Should be Nintendo's most powerful hardware ever ahead of Wii U.

I think you meant to say can do basic online functionalities but for some dumb ass reason Nintendo doesn't implement them. No defending Nintendo on that, they make some decision that hurt my brain at times. Netflix has come out and said the App is ready for Switch and they waiting on Nintendo. Why Nintendo? Because.......Nintendo! LOL
Well I thought you couldn't play online with friends on Switch version ?

Well I thought you couldn't play online with friends on Switch version ?

Yes, you can't play online with friends because for some reason Nintendo does not currently supply a built in function for that in the Switch. But you can play online with random strangers lol. That should be on the list of future firmware upgrades I guess. It's not impossible, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon have that functionality.

Heck, the Xbox 360 version just hit number 5 in the UK charts. If they sell, they will continue to roll them out. Remember how long the PS2 received sports games? Madden 12 and FIfa 12 were both released on PS2. This is the typical pattern for these games.

So I recently was curious what was the actual power of the Switch since I hadnt paid great attention.

It's about 400 Gflops docked and 200 undocked? 25.6 GB BW, and 4 GB RAM?

So undocked the flops are roughly in league with PS360. But, due to much more modern architecture it should actually be stronger relatively. Docked, it's about double those. Alternatively, docked it's something like 1/3 of an Xbox One.

Bandwidth should compare ok to PS360 due to much more modern compression abilities on the chip?

The real stat that should push it ahead of PS3/360, though, is 4GB RAM.

Should be Nintendo's most powerful hardware ever ahead of Wii U.
This is interesting because PS360 can achieve visual parity with undocked Switch games. If the RAM were lower, developers would basically be converting current gen to last gen games whenever they optimised for the undocked Switch.

that depemds on if the switch code can be converted to ps360's shader model 3.0 gpus and scale well to their dx9-era architecture.

It is pretty well understood that flops are not created equal. Pretty much every feature of the Tegra X1 is superior to the 360/PS3. Even in portable mode, the Switch will be capable of better results than the 360/PS3. Not a night and day difference, but will have the edge just the same.

It is pretty well understood

I'd say its somewhat understood... A considerable chunk of the online population engages in techincal discussions under the assumptions these things can be reduced to half a dozen variables and that's it.

Speaking of age, pretending not to know the difference between a 200W mains powered device and a 4W (incuding screen) tablet is getting really really old too.
you might wanna check your numbers
* the ps3 slim used under 100W gaming (let alone the super slim which should use less but couldnt find any actual numbers)
* the switch uses over 10W gaming

sure theres still a massive difference but its not strange considering one is designed to use as less power as possible

Back