Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hidden data. Send them off to CSI:Cyber to have analyzed.

Question for someone with more knowledge of jpeg compression than I possess:
Should those two file sizes be so different?
The image content is essentially identical. The resolution and color depth of the files is the same.
Imagemagick reports both were saved at Quality:99.
But one file is 2.75 times larger than the other.
PC is drastically different, I'm guessing it's the smaller file.

The non-Scorpio Xbox One X's came up for preorder today. Grabbed mine and canceled my Scorpio preorder. I like the look better.

So I guess I'm set. I think 48 days to go? about 7 weeks.

The image content is essentially identical. The resolution and color depth of the files is the same.

The 1X shot has less variability/contrast across the scene, so it seems to compress a lot better. Most of the walls are pretty dark, so there's not much to preserve @99% I suppose.

A crop of the rock to the right above Lara.

Image1.jpg

Possibly the low quality image was compressed with a higher JPEG or something during capture, before being recompressed at 99% quality for upload. That quality is not 99!

Seamus Blackley talks about the original Duke:

Why is there a re-release of the OG Xbox controller when "everybody hates it?" The original Xbox controller circuit board was farmed out to a company who made it too big. So a very talented designer figured out a way to mostly make it work, but alas it was enormous. I mean, it had its own weather systems. Jets would occasionally divert from SeaTac to land on it. It affected tides. There was a lot going on during that time, and I lost track a bit and then suddenly I was standing on stage holding this thing and people got ANGRY and threw stuff and made jokes about hand (ahem) size and such. It was actually pretty unpleasant to be the face of it. I was spending a lot of time in Japan in this period wooing Japanese developers and publishers, who all started to PANIC at the size of the thing for the Japanese market, let alone ROW. So, I ended up helping them sign a petition to redesign a new controller for the Japanese market, which became the "S" controller. I was relieved and proud, because the heat we took over the big controller was intense. I honestly had no idea from my perspective that the DUKE was also dearly loved by many gamers!

(btw the code name DUKE was after the son of the program manager for it, a wonderful guy and a great kid.)

So, last year after unpacking some boxes, I tweeted a picture of one of the original prototype DUKEs, and to my honest AMAZEMENT people were SUPER POSITIVE and nostalgic about it, even though I was even then mocking it and making jokes about it causing tsunamis. One follower suggested that I get MS to re-release it for Xbox One, and I asked if anyone would be psyched and this got an ASTONISHING response, enough that Phil Spencer noticed. So we talked, in amazement, at how awesome it was that there was love for DUKE. For me, the idea of turning all that negative energy into something positive was completely inspiring, so with @XboxP3 's blessing I built a little prototype where I cut out the original foil "X" and replaced it with an OLED display and had it play the OG startup, which ends with the logo that matches the original foil. I sent it to MS and along with @hyperkin

We got a plan together and now they have an approved design and product. So. When I see people saying "everyone hated the OG controller." I smile, because it's not true, and I learned a lesson, and I get to love something now that was painful. Gamers Rule. Game on!

Haha, the Duke... The O.G. Box never sold all that well, but if one was to stack all the Dukes ever made for it in one place, they would form a superdense mass that would A: cause the Earth to tip over on its axis, and B: burrow down to the center of the planet, eventually swallowing us all by its sheer gravitational pull.

So nobody go and do that now, okay?

With all the talk around DOOM on Switch...it's back on the Xbox One X Enhanced titles list as well:
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list

It was shown as one of the games that would get an Xbox One X patch at E3...but did not appear on the list whenever they started putting out an official list earlier this month.

Did this game ever get PS4 Pro support?
it is going to be very interesting when comparisons start, where the improvements are, if 4k is real, if HDR is supported or added...
Haha, the Duke... The O.G. Box never sold all that well, but if one was to stack all the Dukes ever made for it in one place, they would form a superdense mass that would A: cause the Earth to tip over on its axis, and B: burrow down to the center of the planet, eventually swallowing us all by its sheer gravitational pull.

So nobody go and do that now, okay?
haha, man it never ends. Alas I never had a Duke, I think mine was the S controller, 'cos my first console was the Xbox Crystal, which I got during the holidays of 2004 and came with a transparent controller model -the console was translucid too-.

Nice behind the scenes pics & video of the making of the Xbox One X.

tpina_08082017_1906_0128.jpg

tpina_08082017_1906_0004.jpg

tpina_08082017_1906_0091.jpg

tpina_08082017_1906_0087.jpg

tpina_08082017_1906_0183.jpg

tpina_08082017_1906_0185.jpg

tpina_08082017_1906_0130.jpg

tpina_08082017_1906_0047.jpg

tpina_08082017_1906_0039.jpg

tpina_08082017_1906_0166.jpg

tpina_08082017_1906_0145.jpg

tpina_08082017_1906_0134.jpg

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/2/...gn-sony-playstation-4-pro-console-generations

Tommy McClain

tpina_08082017_1906_0047.jpg

tpina_08082017_1906_0039.jpg

Tommy McClain

I'm confused. What am I looking at exactly? I'm talking about the large flat and rectangular parts that are grey. And that doesn't look like the X's motherboard or innards.

The bottom pic kind of looks like a surface like device. But the top pic seems more like a PC.

Last edited:
Xbox Wire has an article about Xbox One X: What It Takes to Build a Console. [ https://news.xbox.com/2017/10/05/xbox-one-x-what-it-takes-to-build-a-console/ ] It touches upon the following:
  • Kickstarting the Process
  • The Design of a System
  • Fitting into Place
  • Keeping Cool
  • Putting it All Together
  • The Finishing Touch

Blurb from the Intro:

We recently heard from Bryan Sparks, Senior Designer, Microsoft Device Design Team, and Leonardo Del Castillo, GM of Xbox Devices Console Development to learn about their creative collaboration process behind the world’s most powerful gaming console: Xbox One X.

To hear them tell it, the story is a fascinating one. In that, the engineering and design teams executed on the development of Xbox One X with a clear and specific goal from the outset — deliver True 4K Gaming in a small form factor design — and endeavored to work together to make that dream possible without compromising on their vision. And the end result is tremendous.

The X is a really sweet piece of hardware. I truly wish I could still feel enthusiastic about console gaming, but somehow that spark has just died in me, it's truly depressing. I want one, but I can't justify it because I'd never use it for its intended purpose. It would just be the world's most overpowered (4K) BR disc player in my hands... :(

Even so, the X isn't even that expensive I'd say for what you get. A comparable PC would cost more and would be a lot bigger (and IMO: a lot uglier - that's a real PS2-inspired industrial design thing they got going for themselves there!) I just wish there'd been a SSD in there as well/instead, because the thought of loading games filling 12GB of RAM (well, minus OS reservation of course...) off of a 2.5" laptop drive makes me shudder. :LOL: The horrific loadtimes made me quit Destiny way back when the game was new before I even hit level 6, and while software might be smarter in how it loads stuff today, I wouldn't be surprised if there will still be lengthy delays on the X.

My internet connection is ready.

My external Hard drive... may not be. Need to do some cleaning

Only real question left for me with this thing is the noise level when fully taxed...it already beats out PS4 Pro and most(outside of highly customized) PC's on performance per liter(volume) but if it can be decently quiet then I will be impressed and it will be a no-brainer choice.

if it can be decently quiet then I will be impressed and it will be a no-brainer choice.
Indeed. And especially if MS and AMD have curbed the obnoxiously high idle power consumption of the original PS4/xbone. I dunno how the 4Pro is doing in that regard, I stopped caring about it the second I realized it did not have 4K BR support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back