SNES Classic announced

A 100 games? For 90 euros? When all pubs ask at least a couple of euros for old games? Congratulations on being unrealistic.
I'll see your 100 games and raise you 900
http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/sinclair-zx-spectrum-vega-console#reviews

~50 cents a title x 5 Million = 2 and half million dollars, which is more than they currently make off them, zilch
http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/sinclair-zx-spectrum-vega-console#reviews
personally I think the reason why so few games are coming with it is, so nintendo can come out with a super duper snes with 100 or 1000 titles in a few years time (ala another bite from the cherry)

Sorry, should have said "games people actually want to play". No disrespect but who cares about Sinclair games? We're not exactly talking about major IP or games everybody knows.

I don't think Nintendo will be releasing models with massively more games in the future. If they want to keep cashing in on this it makes much more sense to release a new model every couple of years with 20 ~ 30 games than release one with a 100+ games.

Or this might just be something to hype people up a bit and keep them happy until VC games finally hit Switch.

At first I kind of wanted it, since snes was the first console I bought (was an amstrad/amiga person before) , but after seeing the 100€ price tag...no thanks.

Nintendo definetly us leaving the door opened for newer revisions with more or diferent titles down the line and they surely know this. If they will ultimately take that oportunity is another story though, and I believe not even Ninty has decided yet.
But for now, they are milking this as much as they can, and one can't blame then. If people buy into the product, they are telling nintendo it has enough value for them.

Well I'm buying one because it's so damn cute, I missed out on the NES so was determined not to do so with this...be interesting to see a N64.

edit - gutted no Pilot Wings

Last edited:
These came up for preorder at Best Buy this morning. I was able to snag one! Email confirmation and all, CC pre-authed (Best Buy kinda annoyingly "intermittently" checks if you have funds (preauth) on preorder unlike Amazon, but since it's a CC I dont care). Hoping it sticks but indications seem good.

IIRC they came up at midnight my time and I think I saw it and got my order in about 7 minutes after they came up. I think they were up for about ten minutes.

That's already better than I ever did on NES classic (never got one for myself, let alone flipping). And I'm highly net savvy and spend unhealthy amounts of time online, so it always amazed me a NES classic continually eluded me.

Could be somewhat better stock too.

But if Nintendo is making these for only a limited time like NES Classic as I assume, then by nature it will be shortaged eventually. I dont care if they make 10 or 20 million.

Honestly if there's much secondary market, assuming I only ever get this one, I may play it a bit and if I dont love it then just sell it used later.

Still cant believe no Chrono Trigger :(

Also just noticed a new IGN hands on

Two controllers and the cables are at least a little better at 5 feet vs 3 foot for NES Classic. Of course it's also $20 more. Still feels like a "who cares" pittance of a price point.

Last edited:
So, I got one of these (actually 7, although the resale market has been lukewarm). I've had a Pi for a while, but games on it always looked quite pixelated. Whereas whenever I saw SNES classic on YT etc, the games didn't look pixelated (I think the reason is the cameras doing the shooting).

I wondered if it was some processing Nintendo was doing or something. So I HAD to see for myself.

Well, can confirm SNES games on a Pi and and a SNES classic look 100% identical on my TV.

Not only that, but the Pi is world's better for me for the simple fact I have a 8 bit do bluetooth controller on it, so I'm not tethered to a short cord.

Yep, with this knowledge I'll probably box my classic up and sell it.

I habe no horse in that race. Would love to hear both opinions. I grabed the popcorn already.

Just watched the DF review. Thank god they did the 4:3 upscaling right this time! So often I see pixel art upscaling done at non integer numbers introduce the same flikery uneven pixels of the NES Classic. Nearest Neighbor is not enough guys. Nintendo seems to have learned it. Sadly, the SNES's CRT filter is not as good as the NES's... sight.
Well I wouldn't be buying it anyway, haha, but I just like to see things done right.

Or dont bother with this hardware and instead look into emulators or playing online at sites like http://www.snesfun.com

The whole point of the Snes mini is that you don't have to mess around with emulators and download ripped roms of titles you of course totally own (yeah, right:rolleyes:) from shifty websites. You also get faithful SNES controller recreations and a cute and very Nintendo-ey UI.

I'd rather have the real SNES myself, but I'd certainly take this thing over an emulator.

The whole point of the Snes mini is that you don't have to mess around with emulators and download ripped roms of titles you of course totally own (yeah, right:rolleyes:) from shifty websites.

the thing about snesfun.com is that you don't either. You click a game and play it instantly on the browser. No emulator to install, no roms to download. Allegedly, you don't even legally need an original copy. The sote claims to own them themselves and when you play the rom its as if you were temporarely borrowing the rights to their use remotely. I don't know how acurate that is though.
The only thing missing is the controller really...

the thing about snesfun.com is that you don't either. You click a game and play it instantly on the browser. No emulator to install, no roms to download. Allegedly, you don't even legally need an original copy. The sote claims to own them themselves and when you play the rom its as if you were temporarely borrowing the rights to their use remotely. I don't know how acurate that is though.

The legality is questionable I'd say. Also, do they lock out multiple people from playing the same game at the same time? Say 50 people decide to play chrono trigger at once, does only the first one get to play, or would they say they have 50 copies of the game?

I think Mario at least was missing last time I looked at SNES fun. I presume due to Nintendo lawyers maybe. Without Mario games about a third the point is gone. And if Mario is gone maybe some other biggies are gone too I presume.

Also it's not immediately evident how to get a controller working there. I guess you have to get a complex third party keyboard to controller app. I gave up.

Back