AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

That's not a problem at all for Vulkan and D3D12.. Limiting the LDA on only 2 GPUs it's not a problem at all, we can have MDAs configurations of multiple 2-way LDAs configurations :D

All rests in the hands of developers. And as of right now, it seems the only ones motivated to make use of the new API's potential are the ones producing showcases one way or the other. Let's hope, both, more robust support will be integrated in the big licence engines as well as independent ones over the coming months and years. And yes, I'm aware of The Division or Tomb Raider gaining up to 45-ish percent in purely CPU limited cases.

Meh.. Vega refresh sounds now much better than the non-refreshed version I was planning to own .

But almost another year with my Fermi gtx 460 ... horrible. Maybe I could go for a couple of Vega 56s temporarely, and then relegate them to a mining rig later.

Meh.. Vega refresh sounds now much better than the non-refreshed version I was planning to own .
Vega 20 isn't a refresh, it's a higher-end product aimed at the HPC market.
For gaming it might not even have any relevant advantage over Vega 10, but for HPC it'll have 6 TFLOPs of double precision, up to 32GB of ~1TB/s HBC and HBCC + PCIe 4.0 for accessing system RAM at 32GB/s (64GB/s full duplex).
None of this seems interesting for gaming, to be honest. The 12LP process is promising 10% more performance, which is not a whole lot.

That said, there might not even be any consumer Vega 20 and the only way you can get your hands on it is through a >$6000 Radeon Pro with 32GB that performs very close to Vega 10 in games.

Now if Vega 10 is broken (e.g. they find it impossible to enable primitive shaders in games due to a hardware bug or something), then I could see Vega 20 appearing for consumers using e.g. only 3 enabled HBM2 4-Hi stacks for 12GB total HBC, out of sheer necessity to cater to a higher performance segment.

you're right, I couldn't be bothered to read the slide enoungh to realize that it's addressed at profesionals. it was actually known before this that Vega is not supposed to have refreshes..

Hopefully more to come! My V56 is ready.

That makes 3 titles where Vega is in a dominant to straight up crushing lead @ 1080p compared to the 1080ti. Seemingly a reversal from the Fiji performance tends. It's intriguing to be sure. Are we beyond outliers? My gut is telling me that we will see more.

That makes 3 titles where Vega is in a dominant to straight up crushing lead @ 1080p compared to the 1080ti. Seemingly a reversal from the Fiji performance tends. It's intriguing to be sure. Are we beyond outliers? My gut is telling me that we will see more.
No, these are still outliners

That makes 3 titles where Vega is in a dominant to straight up crushing lead @ 1080p compared to the 1080ti.
This has nothing to do with Vega wahtsoever, all AMD cards are considerably ahead, Vega, RX 580, R9 390.. Etc. Either this game prefers AMD hardware, or NV lacks some significant optimizations for this title.

May I ask what other titles you refer to?

No, these are still outliners

Based on what criteria? That was a rhetorical question btw....
This has nothing to do with Vega wahtsoever, all AMD cards are considerably ahead, Vega, RX 580, R9 390.. Etc. Either this game prefers AMD hardware, or NV lacks some significant optimizations for this title.

May I ask what other titles you refer to?

Nvidia released their Forza 7 driver last week. The game releases next week. Reviews are already out there. It seems implausible to me that there are significant optimizations to come.

Dirt 4 and PUBG.

Nvidia released their Forza 7 driver last week. The game releases next week
That was a game Ready driver for the demo I believe not for the full game, the demo is based on an old code from gamescom. maybe there is a new one for the full game?.
Dirt 4 and PUBG.
Dirt 4 same phenomenon, it favors all AMD hardware not just Vega. besides, testing with MSAA makes Vega cards fall behind Nvidia.

As for PUBG, we already established that the game was only tested at high preset, not Ultra. At Ultra Vega cards deliver significantly worse fps, to the point that Vega 65 is barely faster than GTX 1070

Currently disabled uArch features getting enabled is fairly different from bog standard driver improvents.

Yeah, we can revisit the discussion when and if they get enabled.

As the months are passing I am not holding my breath but I would love to be proven wrong. We need a healthy, competitive market.

Silence is usually not the best indicator though.

Back