Vulkan/OpenGL Next Generation Initiative: unified API for mobile and non-mobile devices.

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
You can use the tricks, but it's pointless to render a 60 FPS game at 120 FPS, you prefer to run the 60 FPS with twice the content.
Well it's not entirely pointless but I digress.

Pardon my ignorance if this is an incredibly stupid question but can a modern GPU not assume multiple states simultaneously? At least on a per CU or SM basis?

Also would it be of any benefit to cache PSOs on the GPU, in VRAM or whatever?

Last edited:
Do most new games even use DX11.1 or later now? I know Repi confirmed Frostbite 3 supported it since BF4, which performed notably better on Win8 than 7, but I don't know any other games confirmed to use it.

Pardon my ignorance if this is an incredibly stupid question but can a modern GPU not assume multiple states simultaneously? At least on a per CU or SM basis?
They can and they do. You can have multiple draw calls in flight with different state. But that's fairly limited and depends on how much state is common.

Interesting that they're getting into the protected path market, which would really help for getting protected content onto far more devices.

Back