mCable Gaming Edition

Picao84

Veteran
What do you guys think of this "magic" cable which seems to improve image quality, even boasting doing anti-aliasing by itself?

I found about this on Reedit PSVR as an interesting proposition (apart from price) to enhance PSVR graphics.

Last edited:
A cable that increases shimmering? Sign me up!

Also, having to change the screen resolution is a show-stopper for PC use imho.

Last edited:
I think, I don't want to watch a whole video to find out about a cable blurring the image.

How about reading an article?

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Gener...ble-Gaming-Edition-Remove-Aliasing-HDMI-Cable

This isn't a blurring filter. It doesn't apply AA either, though. It's just a pretty good upscaler chip.

The only "AA" you'll see is if you have e.g. a 1080p screen and your output is 720p, or you have a 4K screen and your output is 1080p.
The cable simply upscales to the highest possible resolution detected in the display. It will probably do a much better job at upscaling than most TVs and pretty much all PC monitors in the market.

That said, this cable would be interesting for:

- PS3 or X360 to a 1080p/4K TV
- PS4 or XBone to a 4K TV
- Low-end PC that renders 720p games to a 1080p/4K TV
- Mid-end PC that renders 1080p to a 4K TV

It's useless for:

- PS4 Pro with any TV
- XBone S with any TV
- XBone X with any TV
- Top-end PCs.

If this is worth $150 is up to anyone's preferences (it wouldn't be for me).
For a PC, one would probably be much better served by spending $150 more on a better graphics card, unless it's a tiny box using an APU or something.

What I don't get is how the IHVs haven't started to address upscaling as a feature in their GPU pipelines. 4K TVs are everywhere but it makes little sense to demand 4K rendering when 1440p or 1800p + upscaling shows so little difference.

As for the VR question, the PS4 always sends the signal at 1080p to the headset so this would be useless. It could be useful for a PC solution like Vive or Oculus, but again those $150 would be much better spent on a better GPU.

Last edited:
That said, this cable would be interesting for:

- PS3 or X360 to a 1080p/4K TV
- PS4 or XBone to a 4K TV
- Low-end PC that renders 720p games to a 1080p/4K TV
- Mid-end PC that renders 1080p to a 4K TV

It's useless for:

- PS4 Pro with any TV
- XBone S with any TV
- XBone X with any TV
- Top-end PCs.

Is upscaling on tvs really that bad and how many people actually nice? I doubt it's a whole lot and I can't imagine someone paying 150 dollars for a cable to "fix" it. Then again apparently there are plenty of people that buy monster or whatever cables so who knows.

As you mentioned you are probably better off buying a new gpu (or console).

Is upscaling on tvs really that bad and how many people actually nice?
Most people wouldn't notice because they have nothing to compare with in their homes, but this doesn't mean the image quality isn't substantially better.

I've seen a good number of posts here saying how Gears of War 4 in a 4K TV looks so much better in the XBone S than vanilla XBone due to the former's upscalers.

I doubt it's a whole lot and I can't imagine someone paying 150 dollars for a cable to "fix" it. Then again apparently there are plenty of people that buy monster or whatever cables so who knows.

As you mentioned you are probably better off buying a new gpu (or console).

I think this cable could have had a very decent value proposition back in 2009-2012, when 1080p TVs with terrible upscalers were widespread and the PS360's output was 720p.
Right now the PS4 Pro and XBoneX are the alternatives to people with a 4K TV, so this cable doesn't make sense. At least not at that price.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I don't get is how the IHVs haven't started to address upscaling as a feature in their GPU pipelines. 4K TVs are everywhere but it makes little sense to demand 4K rendering when 1440p or 1800p + upscaling shows so little difference.
It's not a GPU problem. The Right Way (TM) to handle sub-4K rendering to a 4K display is to have the software render at its internal resolution, upscale, and then render the UI elements at native resolution. Which is something a lot of game engines support, and D3D even has features to help with. Upscaling the whole kit & kaboodle after the fact is marginally easier, but it's lower quality.

That said, both AMD and NV do have good scaling solutions, and have the ability to force all scaling to happen on the GPU. They could probably do a bit better still, but from their end they've been addressing the matter for years.

More info from their website.
http://www.marseilleinc.com/techzone/

mCable Gamer Edition brings an advanced graphics post-processing engine on a HDMI cable. The benefits are eye catching:
  • Contextual anti-aliasing: removes jaggies without noticeable blur.
  • Adaptive resolution scaling: scales native rendered resolution to match display.
  • High frame rate support: support frame rates up to 1080p120.
  • Sub-1ms lag: game at your dreamed speed.
Contextual Anti-Aliasing (CxAA)
Post-rendering anti-aliasing techniques tend to cause blurring in graphics, especially on sharp edges and small textures. Though available, in most cases, these methods are avoided due to the low-level of visual acuity.

The mCable does not suffer from the blurring problem. The anti-aliasing approach used by the mCable takes into consideration the context where each pixel element is in the rendered image. In fact, from an image restoration perspective, anti-aliasing for edges and textures needs to adapt to their context to provide both natural smoothness and high-resolution details. That is what makes Marseille’s Contextual Anti-Aliasing (CXAA) so special.

Edge blurring actually can be minimized if edge orientation is taken into account. In addition, texture blurring can be avoided if anti-aliasing is adaptive to texture.

The following pictures show the remarkable difference on the approaches:

mcable-game-cxaa.jpg

CXAA Compared to other Anti-Aliasing Methods
CXAA on the mCable is truly a game-changer. It brings additional capabilities to your gaming console platform without impacting your game play. See how it compares to existing methods:

CXAA Performance Benchmark
See it for yourself how CXAA compares visually against results from known AA methods published in [1]. CXAA produces cleaner images without significant blur.

mcable-game-cxaa-benchmark.jpg

Lag-free Gaming
Display lag (latency between input and actual display) is critical to gaming. Less than 40ms is considered good. With sub-1ms latency, the mCable does not have any impact at all on the lag.

CROPPED 480X436 SIDE-BY-SIDE COMPARISON FROM PS3 AS VIEWED ON A HDTV:
mcable-game-sbs-ps3-hd-caption.jpg

Back