New Ryzen doesn't boot up

fehu

Veteran
I've built at work a new pc based on
Ryzen 1600
MSI B350M
Corsair Vengeance 3200

When I start the system all the fan start spinning, but no signal arrive to the monitor.
Following a suggestion I tried a better power supply with an 8 pin cpu cable instea of 4 pin, but nothing changed.
I've tried even swapping memory slots, and only one memory module. (Only two slots by the way)
The diagnostic leds says that "CPU is not detected or fail".

Because it's a pc built with the place where I work's budget, I've not so many possibility to buy and try other hardware.

At the moment I've changed the psu.
There's a way to be sure that the problem is this before returning the cpu for another?

Since you already tried another PSU, I am unsure what to recommend, check that all power connectors are pushed all the way in maybe. :p

Perhaps pull the CPU and look for bent pins... *shrug* Probably a long shot. You should have noticed if something was crooked when assembling it, assuming you built it yourself that is. Anyway, re-seating the CPU might help anyhow, who knows. How? Magic maybe, I dunno.

No metal debris stuck under the mobo, shorting something?

RAM is seated properly I assume.

I've built at work a new pc based on
Ryzen 1600
MSI B350M
Corsair Vengeance 3200

When I start the system all the fan start spinning, but no signal arrive to the monitor.
Following a suggestion I tried a better power supply with an 8 pin cpu cable instea of 4 pin, but nothing changed.
I've tried even swapping memory slots, and only one memory module. (Only two slots by the way)

Because it's a pc built with the place where I work's budget, I've not so many possibility to buy and try other hardware.

At the moment I've changed the psu.
There's a way to be sure that the problem is this before returning the cpu for another?

If you have any USB devices plugged in, unplug them all and see if you at least get to POST for the BIOS.

Also, double check all the internal wiring to make sure there are no shorts. I've had cases where the SATA or Power cable for a HDD was pinched by the chassis frame causing the wiring to come into contact with the case chassis which causes a fault and prevented the machine from getting to POST.

Regards,
SB

I'm so much out of options that already checked the cpu's pins :S
I removed anything (even gpu and memory just in case), checked the power cables but nothing.
I haven't checked under the MB, but it's a completely new build, so I don't think that there can be anything that shorts.

Tomorrow I will post a picture just in case :S

If there's nothing wrong with the way you built your PC, at this stage (having tested different PSU, DIMMs) I'd simply assume it's a dud mobo. Could be dud CPU, but mobos have lots more components that could go wrong, so statistically more likely cause.

Of course, it means tearing your entire computer apart to remove it again... Think of it as a first-world problem, if the worst you have to contend with is a dud mobo, well, you're quite lucky overall then! :)

I assume it's not even the duh-worthy case of a broken or wrongly connected power button, since you say your mobo is stopping with a POST error code.

Only things I can think of now is a faulty MB or something isn't seated all the way.

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but I've done this myself once (/blush). But if the graphics card needs external power, the external power is plugged in right? :D

I spent over an hour trying to figure out why I wasn't getting anywhere. Then I noticed. And proceeded to feel like a dumb dumb.

Regards,
SB

Also unplug any LED/switch connectors and power on manually by shorting the pw sw pins.

I tried unplugging anything because the diagnostic leds where a little ambiguos, so I had to test anything to interpret the real problem XD
The gpu is an nvidia 710, chosen just to have a video output and because uses just the pcie power.
I'll try another cpu because is the simpler option at the moment, hope it's not any other thing because someone is starting to ask if I wasted the budget :S

I'll try another cpu because is the simpler option at the moment, hope it's not any other thing because someone is starting to ask if I wasted the budget :S
How would you waste the budget? If a part is faulty it's not as if you have to buy another one.

Remember that Ryzen is crazy sensitive to exactl dimm slot population order. If only one DIMM it's often the slot third from the cpu that must be installed first.

Remember that Ryzen is crazy sensitive to exactl dimm slot population order. If only one DIMM it's often the slot third from the cpu that must be installed first.

I'd expect any reasonable mb to not complain about cpu error preventing POST if the issue was with the DIMM slots. So either the cpu is dead some how (as weird as that sounds) or there's an issue with the MB or BIOS code

I'd expect any reasonable mb to not complain about cpu error preventing POST if the issue was with the DIMM slots. So either the cpu is dead some how (as weird as that sounds) or there's an issue with the MB or BIOS code

Except we had another user here who had a no-post caused by a DIMM location on an AM4 mb.

Except we had another user here who had a no-post caused by a DIMM location on an AM4 mb.

I got no POST due to DIMM positioning on AM3 as well and on an Intel chipset too (Ivy generation). So I definetely get that.

But I was refering to this in the OP (which I couldnt be bothered to read as well at first) :

I got no POST due to DIMM positioning on AM3 as well and on an Intel chipset too (Ivy generation). So I definetely get that.
But I was refering to this in the OP (which I couldnt be bothered to read as well at first) :

Doh!
Sorry.

Doing more search i've found that some old MB mounts an old bios that runs with anything but R5
The solution, they say, is to just update the bios, but how if it doesn't boot up? XD
There's any way to know what the default bios version is by some serial number on the MB?

Some MBs support BIOS update when you insert a properly prepared usb stick, without needing any CPU . I had (and used) this feature on an Asus Sabertooth. This was in 2012, maybe this is more mainstream now?

Otherwise, you'd need another cpu that boots sucessfuly. If you really knew which one that may be, you could even order it and then return it if the shop/law is friendly enoungh

But I'm with you on this one, I do believe that it's more likely that the BIOS is the problem rather than the CPU.

Back