Destiny 2

We got very little. Couple times the chests after each section were completely empty. Not great.

Does one get good gear from the Raid even when not finishing it?

Yeah you can/do get very little. Seems about 1 of 6 in the squad get a actual raid weapon per checkpoint.

Still if the rest of your milestones are done it's helpful. For example yesterday I got a nice legendary of some type that helped my level on the one checkpoint completed.

Oh and depending what you meant by the questions, you get loot after finishing each segment of the raid, and there's typically 4-5 segments. So yes, you get loot without finishing the raid. It just seems surprisingly stingy this time around. For one thing they started giving you "keys" and "tokens" as loot along with normal engrams. Sometimes you ONLY get keys/tokens. The keys are for chests in the labyrinth below the raid. I dont know much about that place and I dont think the chest loot is good anyway so I ignored it (I got a "drain key" last week). The tokens evidently can be spent with an NPC that paradoxically only unlocks once you...beat the raid. Also I think I heard the gear he sells (although raid gear) is like 10 power. So if you only get keys/tokens it feels worthless.

Last edited:
I kind of really like D2 in one respect, I honestly feel by Wednesday after reset there's NOTHING to do but crucible and raid. Which I kinda love.

I have a funny feeling the game player base is going to crater fast, though. If initial reports of less than D1 sales are true. We'll see.

BTW some stats on Mida's dominance are out today. It's BAD.

DKL0iqeXUAAqDe6.jpg

I for one am just thrilled hand cannons dont dominate.

Yeah you can/do get very little. Seems about 1 of 6 in the squad get a actual raid weapon per checkpoint.

Still if the rest of your milestones are done it's helpful. For example yesterday I got a nice legendary of some type that helped my level on the one checkpoint completed.

Oh and depending what you meant by the questions, you get loot after finishing each segment of the raid, and there's typically 4-5 segments. So yes, you get loot without finishing the raid. It just seems surprisingly stingy this time around. For one thing they started giving you "keys" and "tokens" as loot along with normal engrams. Sometimes you ONLY get keys/tokens. The keys are for chests in the labyrinth below the raid. I dont know much about that place and I dont think the chest loot is good anyway so I ignored it (I got a "drain key" last week). The tokens evidently can be spent with an NPC that paradoxically only unlocks once you...beat the raid. Also I think I heard the gear he sells (although raid gear) is like 10 power. So if you only get keys/tokens it feels worthless.
Those keys are great ! I got exotics and legendaries from those chests and exploring and finding those chests is in itself awesome ! A new element to the raid experience totally ! Do NOT ignore those keys :)
The structure of getting loot is very different this time around. Initially it feels weird because it isn't what we are used to but then it starts getting more n more interesting. It definitely is more intriguing and fresh and addds exploration as another aspect of raid space which u can do separatley and get loot while at it !

Does one get good gear from the Raid even when not finishing it?
You can get high level raid gear/weapons from the chests after beating each encounter (Pleasure Gardens, Royal Pools, Gauntlet, Calus). These chests can also drop a key for one of the hidden chests scattered around the area that have a high chance to give you an exotic engram.

I've beaten the raid 4 times now and I think I usually get like 2 pieces of gear/weapons per full raid.

You also get tokens that can be cashed in to sweeper bot in the tower for faction rep which reward you with raid weapons/gear, but they will only drop at the level of your regular purple and blue stuff.

The chests after you open the doors for each encounter won't give you anything good.

What our group does is we run the raid 3x throughout the week. Then when we're done our raids, we'll get all of the chests.

I've settled on current crucible loadout:

Origin Story+Etan SI4 sidearm (the omolon sidearm I have) for Supremacy
Mida+Etana for everything else...

Overall this feels the best mentally, it gives a clear delineation between "long range gun" and "short range gun".

Sometimes I'll bust out nightshade, I really like that gun, even if it's not as effective (as Mida), it's still solid and feels good.

In Supremacy you need to be a little more close quarters focused and Origin Story is pretty strong.

The Etana is a little low on range, but it does melt within that range. I guess for now I prefer it for CQC over anything else. AR's aren't really strong (they will lose to subs+sidearms) up close, submachinguns (except Antiope maybe, but that's in the same slot as Mida/Origin) are kinda hard to control.

I've also found I prefer "pulling the trigger" guns over "hold the trigger" ones. This means I like sidearms, pulses, and scouts, everything else equal, basically. Sometimes I have to bend this philosophy if a superior loadout demands it (like using Origin Story).

I guess in theory Uriel's gift+Antiope would be good. It's just a mental thing but when I tried them for a match they seem too overlap too much, and mentally I just prefer Kinect=Primary/far range, Energy=secondary/CQC type philosophy, helps keep me organized mentally. Still, I should revisit the Uriel+Antiope loadout for supremacy.

Mida+Antiope would absolutely rake, given Antiope has range challenging AR's practically, but, conflicting slots.

I got past the dogs this week, after a lot of trying. I'm already confident in the Baths. That still leaves Gauntlets and probably worst of all the boss though. Tried gauntlets a few times so at least I can gorge on YouTube run through of that section now.

My biggest problem with dogs is I cant find my way around that foggy mess when we assign dogs to kill/wound. I think I'm just gonna request R1 dog every time, since that one is easy to find...

You can see the section is going to continue to get easier though, already people seem to memorize the dog paths, on and so forth. I think the ultimate way would be just one phase them consistently with like a 60 stack.

The bad thing is already tons of of LFG posts demand "have completed the raid" or "have emblem".

Also again if you leave off a section with LFG it's always a pain, you either have to now join a group stuck there, or start fresh and get no loot for two sections (and this week you might be on dogs forever).

A guy on reddit put up a guide how to solo get every chest. But I didn't get a key yet this week.

Any tipps or tricks for bosses? My fireteam and I trying the nightfall, we got with 8 min there...but only brought him to 50% :(

So I sm wondering what weapon types, or specific weapons we should use?

Or is there a special strat one can do?

We are hunter, warlock and titan.

Any tipps or tricks for bosses? My fireteam and I trying the nightfall, we got with 8 min there...but only brought him to 50% :(

I've beaten it twice with two different teams.
- The most obvious is to get there with as much time left as you can.
- Instead of sticking together on the middle platform, try for one of the side ones. We used the one with a small tower on it. it is easier to defend against the annoying exploding shanks. 1 should watch each side and the middle for those exploding shanks and the boss
- Make sure Warlock is putting down those healing rifts as needed to keep the team alive
- The 1st time we played it, it didn't work, but on our second successful run the void walker nades that tether was able to hold the boss temporarily for us to chuck other nades or to use our heavy weapons or supers on him.
- iroboto was saying that if have the Riskrunner exotic that it would be helpful for this run as it takes the Arc damage you receive and reverses it on the enemies when you fire as a chain lightning proc and damage
- Also, those anomalies don't change for each run, so take a 1st run as an experiment to find where they are so that you can speed run them on subsequent attempts. We also split up by right, left and middle assignments and tried to run and gun those as quickly as possible. When you have no anomalies in your area, jump on your sparrow and speed through to the next point or area unless you are required to clear them out before proceeding.

That's all I can think of. Even though we've beaten it twice (both with a little over a minute left), I'm sure we were nowhere near as efficient as we could've been. That boss is an asshole!

Edit: Weapon/Class wise---I was using the Titan with MIDA Multi-tool, Mida Mini and Berenger's memory the 1st time and Origin Story, Coldheart and Hawthorne's Field Shotgun the second time.

I felt my 1st set-up was better, but we also had a completely different team as well, so unsure if that was the reason for it being not as effective. Coldheart is so good at melting the sub-bosses like the Servitors though and even the boss to some extent.

Last edited:

Hunter - Nightstalker preferably with the orpheus rig boots
Warlock - Stormcaller w/pulse grenade and arc soul on rift perk
Titan - Striker w/pulse grenade
Kinetic - Nameless Midnight
Energy - A good Auto Rifle (Prosecutor, Uriel's Gift, Jiangshi)
Power - Sword or Hawthorn shotgun since the boss doesn't do a slam attach when you're close.

Is what I'd bring into the nightfall. That's my pretty much what I use for PVE in general, except I swap my power weapon depending on what I'm doing. Only time I switch up my weapon loadout is when I'm bored and want to use other weapons.

Had a couple of smooth Trials cards lastnight and recorded a couple of matches.

I was using MIDA/Prosecutor there, but switched it to Origin Story/Manannan after. Both were very solid loadouts.

Starting to like Golden gun in PVP. Funny because I hated it in D1.

Last edited:
I use Titan with Striker and my exotic gear is a helmet that allows my melee to recharge quickly. It also recharges my nades and health if successful, but the melee is done after a short sprint and chains to close by enemies---I forget the name at the moment.

I also use the Pulse nades and my subclass allows me to carry two of them. Something I didn't realize until after I ran Nightfall, but you can just sprint, then melee, then nade and rinse and repeat with this build. I probably would of done this for the sword wielders and then nade the exploding shanks. Saving 1 of the nades for the boss when he appears.

The nades don't automatically get replaced, but it recharges much faster. So maybe somewhere in there, I'd throw up a high wall to protect my teammates.

Edit: This is my subclass and Exotic helmet I used and how the perk works.

Last edited:
Why don't you use "Coldheart"? IMHO the best energy weapon for all kinds of boss fights.

A SMG like Mida Minitool is ok to deal with majors which get too close but not for long damage phases. It's not something I would use on a strike.

Why don't you use "Coldheart"? IMHO the best energy weapon for all kinds of boss fights.

A SMG like Mida Minitool is ok to deal with majors which get too close but not for long damage phases. It's not something I would use on a strike.

I did on the second run thru and I like it for sub-bosses and bosses, but for the exploding shanks and sword enemies, it is not as useful.

I don't usually change my weapons out during the strike, but it is something I should do for different areas of the game. Perhaps I would start with my 1st kinetic and energy and switch to my second run weapons for areas with sub-bosses and the Big boss. And then switch again for areas with regular enemies.

Back