NPD August 2017

Goodtwin

Veteran
Supporter
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/09/nintendo-switch-sales-august-2017.html

Nintendo has once again taken the top spot with Switch outselling the competition.

Software Results:

1. Madden NFL 18
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
  4. Splatoon 2*
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  6. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  7. Mario Kart 8*
  8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
  9. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  10. Overwatch**
  11. Injustice 2
  12. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  13. Minecraft
  14. For Honor
  15. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  16. Agents Of Mayhem
  17. Forza Horizon 3
  18. Battlefield 1
  19. NBA 2K17
  20. UFC 2

Last edited:
Hopefully someone will leak some numbers soon. Would like to see if the supply situation for the Switch is the same (~200-225k units moved) or if it has improved (higher numbers). Conversely if demand has dropped (under 200k units moved).

Regards,
SB

These are the top 3 winners of the neogaf prediction NPD thread. so numbers should be close to this for august.

[NSW] 230k
[PS4] 190k
[XB1] 120k

[NSW] 220k
[PS4] 200k
[XB1] 110k

[NSW] 215k
[PS4] 210k
[XB1] 110k

So basically no increase in supply for the NSW and demand is still higher than supply although lower overall demand compared to previous months (units stay available for longer before selling out).

It's going to be interesting to see how the XBO normal and X do for the Holidays. So hard to say right now whether it's so low due to very little interest or whether people are waiting for the XBO-X to hit retailers (whether to get an XBO-X or in hopes that XBO base unit goes down in price).

Regards,
SB

So basically no increase in supply for the NSW and demand is still higher than supply although lower overall demand compared to previous months (units stay available for longer before selling out).

It's going to be interesting to see how the XBO normal and X do for the Holidays. So hard to say right now whether it's so low due to very little interest or whether people are waiting for the XBO-X to hit retailers (whether to get an XBO-X or in hopes that XBO base unit goes down in price).

Regards,
SB

Anybody who wanted in in august could have got one, and this month supply is plentiful.

At higher than MSRP, yes. And with a little patience you can usually find one without too much effort.

But looking at the largest retailers for MSRP units.
  • Amazon - no stock at MSRP
  • Walmart - no stock at MSRP
  • Gamestop - limited non-bundled stock at MSRP for the Red and Blue Joycon version, no stock for non-bundled Grey version. Otherwise Gamestop still requires you to buy it in a bundle due to limited supply.
  • Target - Limited stock of the grey version in my area. No stock of the Red and Blue version.
As I mentioned, demand is lower than in previous months as units remain in stock for longer before selling out. Supply is still limited, however, relative to demand.

NPD shows that there has been no increase in supply for the NSW as unit sales remain virtually identical (variance due to noise and methods used to estimate sales) for the past few months.

That also means that demand remains higher than supply. Although there's always the slight chance that demand is exactly equal to supply.

Regards,
SB

At higher than MSRP, yes. And with a little patience you can usually find one without too much effort.

But looking at the largest retailers for MSRP units.
  • Amazon - no stock at MSRP
  • Walmart - no stock at MSRP
  • Gamestop - limited non-bundled stock at MSRP for the Red and Blue Joycon version, no stock for non-bundled Grey version. Otherwise Gamestop still requires you to buy it in a bundle due to limited supply.
  • Target - Limited stock of the grey version in my area. No stock of the Red and Blue version.
As I mentioned, demand is lower than in previous months as units remain in stock for longer before selling out. Supply is still limited, however, relative to demand.

NPD shows that there has been no increase in supply for the NSW as unit sales remain virtually identical (variance due to noise and methods used to estimate sales) for the past few months.

That also means that demand remains higher than supply. Although there's always the slight chance that demand is exactly equal to supply.

Regards,
SB

I check all the time, best buy has them every where at the moment, gamestop has them, they have 359.99 bundles, and are also selling the grey unit online at msrp, walmart in my most areas has them, target is full of them. ebay has them msrp or even below tax included if someone wants to look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Sw...861719?hash=item440c57e017:g:Nv0AAOSwozRZxDoo

nintedo switch with mario rabbids, brand new for 339.99 tax included.

Last edited:
Its pretty simple really. Look at what stock levels look like at retailers for Xbox One and PS4. Switch sets well below those console, and still outsells them. Switch demand likely doesn't vastly outpace supply, but it does surpass supply even if only just barely. I think some people may need a history lesson, and should probably go back and look at monthly 2014 NPD results. Switch is doing pretty well, and it poised to continue to sell out for the remainder of the year. 10 million for fiscal 2018 plus the 2.8 million sold in March positions the Switch as a viable platform going forward.

Its pretty simple really. Look at what stock levels look like at retailers for Xbox One and PS4. Switch sets well below those console, and still outsells them. Switch demand likely doesn't vastly outpace supply, but it does surpass supply even if only just barely. I think some people may need a history lesson, and should probably go back and look at monthly 2014 NPD results. Switch is doing pretty well, and it poised to continue to sell out for the remainder of the year. 10 million for fiscal 2018 plus the 2.8 million sold in March positions the Switch as a viable platform going forward.

I looked at those NPD results, but what people don't realize is that xbone and ps4 sold 2 million in 2 months, yes it was the holidays, but xbone was 500$. Now my opinion is that xbone, ps4, and switch could all have sold the same in 2 months with out the holidays, i think it's after the initial 2-3 million buyers will you see how the console is really selling on a average bases If the holidays switch can get near ps4 sales then i will starting accepting it as success, if sales don't fall off a cliff after the holidays which is what i'm expecting.

People who think it's the next Wii don't know what they are talking about. The Switch is selling to a different audience outside of the core Nintendo fans than the Wii did. IE - I don't think the Senior Center down the road is going to be getting one for their Seniors. :p

Regards,
SB

It is nuts how GTA V still sees itself at the top of the top ten. You would think that, considering its massive sales, pretty much anyone interested in the game already got it a year (or years) ago and sales are saturated.
But no.
It insists in selling

Remember, the NPD list is driven off dollars and not off unit counts. GTAV sells for higher price, so its easier to remain in the list. Also, I havent seen any sales on GTA V, all I've seen are bundles with Shark cash for the same full price. While a game with a lower price like Minecraft has to sell more units to remain in the list. Thats why MC is more impressive in my eyes.

From Liabe's numbers we can get the usual YoY, LTD and YTD numbers:

PERCENT CHANGE
MoM YoY
SWI -3.2% ---
PS4 -12.4% +18.8%
XB1 -5.7% -136.9% (last year was launch of One S)

CUMULATIVE SALES
LTD YTD YTD vs 2016
SWI 2.01m 2.01m --- March launch
PS4 19.73m 2.19m +15.1%
XB1 17.08m 1.23m -21.0%

Back