Microsoft XBOX Mouse and Keyboard Support *split*

Scott_Arm

Legend
Might as well have a custom media keyboard labeled for Guide, DVR, screenshots etc. Maybe even shortcut keys to certain pages (friends, library etc).

Sounds like it's going to be up to developer choice...which probably means don't expect a lot of support. I doubt developers are going to want to add anything that has the potential to split multiplayer base. Also wouldn't developers have to do a degree of optimization in regards to proper keyboard and mouse support?

Sounds like it's going to be up to developer choice...which probably means don't expect a lot of support. I doubt developers are going to want to add anything that has the potential to split multiplayer base. Also wouldn't developers have to do a degree of optimization in regards to proper keyboard and mouse support?

However, if it's a simple case of the Xbox version of the game being basically the same as the UWP version of the game, then it'll have KB/m support by default or be relatively easy to incorporate the PC KB/m support into the Xbox version

Any AAA multiplatform game except for some by Japanese developers have KB/m support. They just don't have it on consoles ATM due to generally no official support for KB/m for games on consoles.

Of course, just because it'd be easy and in most cases effortless to do, doesn't mean it's going to happen. But there's no reason it couldn't happen.

Regards,
SB.

However, if it's a simple case of the Xbox version of the game being basically the same as the UWP version of the game, then it'll have KB/m support by default or be relatively easy to incorporate the PC KB/m support into the Xbox version

Any AAA multiplatform game except for some by Japanese developers have KB/m support. They just don't have it on consoles ATM due to generally no official support for KB/m for games on consoles.

Of course, just because it'd be easy and in most cases effortless to do, doesn't mean it's going to happen. But there's no reason it couldn't happen.

Regards,
SB.

yeah I don't know how much work there is:

1. Is it just a case of Micrososft "flipping a switch" and mouse movements can be tracked in any game?

2. Is it a case of 1. but developers also have to enable something on their end?

Doesn't the XB have this now? It's all dev choice on the PS4 and many opt out for balance reasons. My son uses KB&M for Fortnite. Officially license just means MS is going for some $$.

Doesn't the XB have this now? It's all dev choice on the PS4 and many opt out for balance reasons. My son uses KB&M for Fortnite. Officially license just means MS is going for some $$.
this would be universal plug and play as opposed to use some sort of adaptor for mouse and keyboard. Keyboard is supported but not native mouse on X1.

They currently don't allow for it except maybe web browsing IIRC.

I hear you on PS4 though but this info is coming across as enabling M+KB for games on XB. I can't divulge details on (M+KB technical not marketing) unfortunately until after release. I'm also not entirely certain on what the final form will look like so it's best I don't comment on it.

Last edited:

I just found out about this recently. PS4 has native keyboard and mouse support in Fortnite. You get the exact control scheme from pc. A little weird, because it's a huge advantage over gamepad players, and they don't segment mouse and keyboard players from gamepad players. Overall, I hope this is the start of a trend, and they work out the issues in keeping a level playing field. Also, Fortnite supports crossplay from console to PC, on both consoles. If you have a PC friend, there is a way to party up and play together. Mouse and keyboard support makes that a very viable way. Unfortunately no xbox to PS4 crossplay :(

The future of gaming, to me, is dividing players based on input, not platform. Mouse and keyboard all play together regardless of the platform and gamepad play together regardless of the platform.

Edit: I'm not sure why mouse and keyboard implementation would be so complicated for xbox, outside of some logistics in matchmaking, and having some standardizing of controls so you can access the guide, go to the home screen etc from a keyboard. Probably don't want to have to have a controller turned on to do os function, and control the game with the keyboard and mouse. But they've been talking a long time, and I'm surprised it hasn't shown up already.

Last edited:
Nice.
Remember playing Command & Conquer on Ps1 with M/K and the difference to joypad was quite significant.

Nice. Remember playing Command & Conquer on Ps1 with M/K and the difference to joypad was quite significant.

There was a mouse and keyboard that worked on the original PlayStation? :oops:

Back