Nintendo Switch Technical discussion [SOC = Tegra X1]

I don't get why so many got worked up over Digitalfoundry's video. IMO, he just seemed to be very impressed by the Switch version and wanted to tell it compared favorably to the PC version running on his low spec PC.

I did not exactly get worked up over the video, but how it was used by some to further their anti-Switch agenda (both here and in neogaf). And yet, even with positive points set out by DF, they still keep posting "it sucks, huge downgrade, bla bla bla".

best video, you can clearly see in this one, it's a huge down grade.

It's a 14W chip against 140W ones. What did you expect? Even if they could push the graphics even more, that would have an impact on the time you could play before running for a power source, removing the portable advantage. Let's see how it compares docked when we have that data point available.

I don't get why so many got worked up over Digitalfoundry's video. IMO, he just seemed to be very impressed by the Switch version and wanted to tell it compared favorably to the PC version running on his low spec PC.

Exactly! If you watch the DF video in its entirety, you will hear Rich explicitly say that the Switch build he played ran smoother than his PC setup. He also made mention that this game still has months of development left. The Switch build seems to be using some lower quality presets than available on PC. Not surprising to me, as I remember playing Batman AK, and even on lowest settings the game still was an upgrade over previous Arkham games even on high settings.

If the developer can get a stable 30fps, then the performance should be satisfactory for most people interested in playing the game on Switch. Keep in mind that the fast paced gameplay is not directly tied to framerate. The original Doom games played at a max FPS of 35, and resulted in some judder on 60hz TV's. The small screen and a some nice temporal AA will keep the game looking nice in portable mode even if the game is sub 540p. Remember that Snake Pass in portable mode runs at 475p, and thanks to the nice temporal AA looks pretty nice.

Some people are going to dog the ports made to Switch no matter what. Switch has less capable hardware, and in return any ports are going to have compromises compared to other platforms. This is no different than any other console, Xbox One and PS4 have compromises made compared to PC on Ultra settings. People are going to game on the platform of their choosing. The only question now is if the Switch community will support these types of games.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Honestly watching the videos I think it looks pretty impressive considering what it's running on (Nvidia Master Race?). At times it looks faster than 30FPS when the player is doing quick turning movements but that is probably motion blur.

I think that Wolfenstein II will probably be a better experience simply because I think 30fps will detract less from that game than it will with DOOM. DOOM seems like it was meant to be a nonstop fast-paced linear shooter and 30fps will probably detract from that somewhat.

The gameplay video looks good. The movement speed looks fast as always. Just like going from any 60fps to 30fps, the initial transition will be a bit offputing, but after your engaged in the game for ten minutes, your brain adapts and accepts the 30fps as a smooth animation. Not saying that 60fps isnt preferable, it is, but when its not obtainable it certainly doesnt "doom" a good game into unplayable territory.

I think it also brings expectations back to reality, for a while I thought a 60FPS port was possible, but now looking at it, it's half the refresh from consoles and significantly downgraded visuals, kind of what you can expect tbh, back from the hype from other ports that were from more simplistic games like Snake Pass which was a lot closer to consoles.

but I think the game looks fine for a portable and the FPS is not really a problem (lots of games run at 30FPS), maybe in docked mode the experience will be a lot less appealing, but still, not to bad,

I think it also brings expectations back to reality, for a while I thought a 60FPS port was possible, but now looking at it, it's half the refresh from consoles and significantly downgraded visuals, kind of what you can expect tbh, back from the hype from other ports that were from more simplistic games like Snake Pass which was a lot closer to consoles.

but I think the game looks fine for a portable and the FPS is not really a problem (lots of games run at 30FPS), maybe in docked mode the experience will be a lot less appealing, but still, not to bad,

The only other big AAA game I could see is Call of Duty. They could probably make that 30fps/downgraded and have it still look half decent on Switch.

Digital foundry shouldn't have made that video. For starters you can't replicate console performance like to like on PC ; it may be interesting but it's heavily flawed. Just like pixel counting compressed footage. For all Richard knows it could be 60fps in docked mode. It's highly unlikely, but you never know.

Also those screens in this thread are heavily compressed. Bottom line everyone should wait for the release

If Doom and Wolfenstein Switch sell really well, I can't really see how other companies that do FPS can loose out on this.

The game still has to be able to run/look half decent on Switch...Call of Duty strikes me as one that might technically be possible as it runs 60fps on consoles and traditionally has seemed less demanding on hardware than other games.

I guess they did the video because for whatever reason they didn't shoot a live video like all the other outlets and didn't want to miss out on the hype and revenue.

It's a 14W chip against 140W ones. What did you expect? Even if they could push the graphics even more, that would have an impact on the time you could play before running for a power source, removing the portable advantage. Let's see how it compares docked when we have that data point available.

Switch is something like 2~3 watts for the Soc in mobile mode.

Doom uses multiple CPU threads and async compute to maximise use of GCN. This was always going to be a tough port, but the Switch version is holding up well considering the power (Watts) and power (flops, Hz, cores, GB/s ... basically everything) deficit that the Switch naturally has.

Switch is something like 2~3 watts for the Soc in mobile mode.

Doom uses multiple CPU threads and async compute to maximise use of GCN. This was always going to be a tough port, but the Switch version is holding up well considering the power (Watts) and power (flops, Hz, cores, GB/s ... basically everything) deficit that the Switch naturally has.

True. Just proves as well that memory bandwidth is not the problem many were predicting would be.

Doom uses multiple CPU threads and async compute to maximise use of GCN.

I wonder if it keeps those architectural choices on switch and if they make doom more batery draining than other less tightly optimized games...

back from the hype from other ports that were from more simplistic games like Snake Pass which was a lot closer to consoles.

Exactly. We started to discuss Switch performances with Snake Pass, only because some people thought that it was representative of something...

With Doom, everything is as expected : a large gap, even compared to the Xbox One.

Still impressive for a portable though.

Back