Nintendo Switch Technical discussion [SOC = Tegra X1]

It is empirical evidence at best. There is nothing rigorous about it.

Considering this is what they do for a living, I doubt they would get something as easy as 30fps to 60fps wrong, he played the game for a good 15 minutes and said it occasionally drops below 30fps, plus with the pc he built it shows that it would be impossible for switch to run it ay 60fps, even with the lowest settings, cause of the cpu.

It is empirical evidence at best. There is nothing rigorous about it. Irrespective of the FPS being 30 or 60 or even something in between, he cannot say for sure it is 30. Lower than 60? Sure probably easy to spot, frame it down to 30 so vehemently? No, unless he has bionic eyes with an FPS counter :D

Since when is edited video footage a good point for a rigorous comparison with anything? The video from Nintendo Direct was heavily edited including footage from other games, so you cannot measure anything concerning FPS from it. Even image quality is not a faithful comparison given video artifacts.

dude, they played the game at event and said it was 30FPS with drops. DF didnt use trailer footage for fps measure, they use it for IQ comparison with PS4 version and PC version with switch like specs.

dude, they played the game at event and said it was 30FPS with drops. DF didnt use trailer footage for fps measure, they use it for IQ comparison with PS4 version and PC version with switch like specs.

Again, it is empirical evidence. And empirical evidence is affected by many things (e.g. FPS vs Frame Times - There are games that report 60 FPS but don't feel like 60 FPS and vice versa because of factors other than just FPS). There is a reason why we invented a thing called Science you know? To dissociate perception from facts.

Stop spreading misinformation. Rich has played the game, and confirms it's 30fps with drops, and is just showing what to expect from the switch version that he's played, with out breaking the embargo.

I'm not spreading anything. There are other outlets that were also there and reported 60fps or close to it. Until we have hard technical data, of the type Digital Foundry is good at doing, it is inconclusive at best.

Example: http://multiplayer.it/articoli/188805-doom-doom-su-switch-scorre-come-il-sangue-di-demone.html

EDIT - The worst thing about this mess is that information based on perception alone is now being treated as gospel and "the truth" just because it fits some people's expectations. This is Beyond 3D, not Neogaf and this thread is about technical discussion. Technical discussions demand data points, not just "I believe I saw". Its fine to speculate about information, but taking empirical one as gospel is anything but technical.

Last edited:
Watching DF trying to get absolute lowest pc parts and then downclocking them almost as much as possible to emulate Switch says it all really...and is it just me or did the PC equivalent footage still look "cleaner" than the Switch footage? Not sure what resolution they were running it at..were they trying emulate portable mode or docked mode?

Either way, I didn't think the PC equivalent footage looked that bad tbh...if it looks close to that on a portable I'd play it.

The worst thing about this mess is that information based on perception alone is now being treated as gospel and "the truth" just because it fits some people's expectations. This is Beyond 3D, not Neogaf and this thread is about technical discussion. Technical discussions demand data points, not just "I believe I saw". Its fine to speculate about information, but taking empirical one as gospel is anything but technical.

Relax, my friend.

Watching DF trying to get absolute lowest pc parts and then downclocking them almost as much as possible to emulate Switch says it all really...and is it just me or did the PC equivalent footage still look "cleaner" than the Switch footage? Not sure what resolution they were running it at..were they trying emulate portable mode or docked mode?

Either way, I didn't think the PC equivalent footage looked that bad tbh...if it looks close to that on a portable I'd play it.

Well thats the confusing part, DF thinks the trailer footage is probably docked mode, yet they think it looks lower resolution then 540p PC equivalent footage.

Well thats the confusing part, DF thinks the trailer footage is probably docked mode, yet they think it looks lower resolution then 540p PC equivalent footage.

From the video, I understood he was also talking about texture resolution (which was obviously lower on the Switch trailer). The difference might be there.

I'm not spreading anything. There are other outlets that were also there and reported 60fps or close to it. Until we have hard technical data, of the type Digital Foundry is good at doing, it is inconclusive at best.

Example: http://multiplayer.it/articoli/188805-doom-doom-su-switch-scorre-come-il-sangue-di-demone.html

EDIT - The worst thing about this mess is that information based on perception alone is now being treated as gospel and "the truth" just because it fits some people's expectations. This is Beyond 3D, not Neogaf and this thread is about technical discussion. Technical discussions demand data points, not just "I believe I saw". Its fine to speculate about information, but taking empirical one as gospel is anything but technical.

There is only one outlet that reported 60fps, and it's a shit source. you have the best trusted source for tech analysis, that has a full video dedicated video up, of the doom preview, you can think what you want but DF being right is almost 100% assured, especially when you look at all the trouble they went through with building a switch like PC.

From the video, I understood he was also talking about texture resolution (which was obviously lower on the Switch trailer). The difference might be there.

Looked like he was talking clearly talking about resolution.

Apparently the Switch version still has depth of field implemented to a degree but they didn't have the option to scale it accordingly on PC so they turned it off. Maybe that is having an effect. But to me the cleaner image looked due to resolution differences. My guess is that Switch footage is from portable mode..

There is only one outlet that reported 60fps, and it's a shit source. you have the best trusted source for tech analysis, that has a full video dedicated video up, of the doom preview, you can think what you want but DF being right is almost 100% assured, especially when you look at all the trouble they went through with building a switch like PC.

I don't think anything. My opinion is based on actual, measurable, facts sustained by hard evidence. That's all. If you were not here with a "switch sucks" attitude from the very beginning, but were neutral, you would understand.

I don't get why so many got worked up over Digitalfoundry's video. IMO, he just seemed to be very impressed by the Switch version and wanted to tell it compared favorably to the PC version running on his low spec PC.
It's certainly a testament to how scalable the engine appears to be. It's a bit ridiculous to expect a whole lot knowing what we do about the HW anyway.

Back