XBox FastStart and Microsoft intelligent Delivery

Well, it is really time for something like this. But I really don't understand why especially MS games are so big ^^

I wondered what the "Shrinkable Games" thing was/is in the latest Alpha Dashboard update was for.

Was thinking this might be something like the Cloudpaging technology from Numecent. Sadly that doesn't look like the case. :(

Tommy McClain

Was thinking this might be something like the Cloudpaging technology from Numecent. Sadly that doesn't look like the case. :(
I was thinking of this technology the other day. I wonder if it's still around.

So this is a flag that tells your X to download the 4k assets because regular Ones don't need to. Woo?
yes and no.
You can also set the flag for optional content, seperate the multiplayer from the campaign files, seperate different languages etc.
It is now also possible to deliver a game on multiple discs.

Not really. Sounds like it will work regardless of medium.

Tommy McClain

That's better. But is this really a technology? It seems more like data structuring. Something that already exists in years, just not that much used.
I remem er in the old MS Dos days choosing my vga and sound card, and even game language, before instalation, and according to my choices different assets were installed.

That's better. But is this really a technology? It seems more like data structuring. Something that already exists in years, just not that much used.
I remem er in the old MS Dos days choosing my vga and sound card, and even game language, before instalation, and according to my choices different assets were installed.
I think that it had to be that way back in the day. We did not yet have engines as an abstraction away from game code. but still the games were not parsed to download end game content as you approached the end. Such that if you never ever complete the game or even get to the middle, you never downloaded those parts of the game.

When the average Xbox live gold player obtain 4 games a month, and installs them all, with intelligent delivery they could be installing a fraction of those games until we really start them. Right now I get 4 full games installed a month that I don't play or touch because of backlog issues.

The technology is pretty justified imo. All it takes is to look at trophy or achievements per player per game to see how few people actually finish the game, to see how few get to the middle of the game.

If you saw the the completion rate of the Witcher 3, you'd be shocked how few completed the game despite its accolades.

Not having to download content for those people saves space. The technology is the delivery system, not the fact that it's been parsed into data structures. The idea that it delivers content ideally "just in time".

Last edited:
Guild Wars did this eons ago (in 2005), only downloading what you needed to start the game then streaming additionnal content as you needed...

never seen a dos game doing this. Maybe selecting the language but not the sound options.
sometimes you could choose how big the cache on the should be. That way loading times on slow cd drives could be reduced. E.g star trek a final unity did that.

PSA this was in build 2017, if anyone is interested the presentations should be up on channel 9.
probably would need to look under windows store?

it's not about single games implementing similar technology, it's about having standard framework in this regards.
thats like saying games can be coded to start to play before it's fully installed. yes they can but ps4 and xo gives the framework/technology to allow it. Although due to the way the systems work a game may not be able to actually do this unless provided by os now, but you get what I mean.

with a standard framework/technology more likely to see games actually doing these things.

never seen a dos game doing this. Maybe selecting the language but not the sound options.
sometimes you could choose how big the cache on the should be. That way loading times on slow cd drives could be reduced. E.g star trek a final unity did that.

Adlib was music only, soundblaster installed extra wav files.

When the average Xbox live gold player obtain 4 games a month, and installs them all, with intelligent delivery they could be installing a fraction of those games until we really start them. Right now I get 4 full games installed a month that I don't play or touch because of backlog issues.

The technology is pretty justified imo. All it takes is to look at trophy or achievements per player per game to see how few people actually finish the game...

Back