Nvidia Pascal Announcement

Soon GTX 10-series GPU owners will be able to stream Ultra-HD Netflix

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...ners-will-be-able-to-stream-ultra-hd-netflix/
A thoughtful poster at guru3d uploaded the driver, but you need to install it by way of Device Manager. I had at it and it seems to be OK though I had to reboot in order to see nVidia's Control Panel as part of my right click context menu. It wasn't like a regular install.

I installed the Netflix app prior to this (nice to see the option to download some Netflix content), and afterwards I saw some 4K/UHD stuff listed as being available. I had a Stranger Things (Winona Ryder ftw) episode in my queue so I went with that. The app didn't show it was 4K, but it looked like it was.

P.S. Off topic/Trivia : The Netflix show Dark Matter features a nerd girl who likes to crawl through the access tubes by way of vents on the ship. She's on the petite side (and there was another factor I was probably unconsciously aware of) so I went "huh, kind of like a Little Sister in Bioshock". Funny enough, she was the Little Sister voice for Bioshock 2. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0272706/

Details of KFA2 GeForce GT 1030 graphics card leak
According to the source the GeForce GT 1030 graphics card from KFA2 has the following key technical specifications:
GPU: 16-nm GP108-300 with 384 stream processors
GPU clock speed: 1,252MHz base clock, and a boost frequency of 1,506MHz
Memory: 2GB of GDDR5, running at 6GT/s
Memory Bus: 64-bit
Ports: HDMI 2.0b port, and a DVI port
b060c6a5-9eda-4cba-8ca9-a7a7afc7fadd.jpg

Said to consume just 30W at most.
http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/105187-details-kfa2-geforce-gt-1030-graphics-card-leak/

MSI To Release GTX 1080 Ti Lightning Z & Gaming X card with USB Type C connector
The new model will be called the Lightning Z and will see a few new voltage options as well.
With a USB Type C, the interface support is even more flexible. Some some monitors already offer the interface and paired with a graphics card it can function and use a broad display protocols like passing DisplayPort, Thunderbolt and HDMI. So basically thunderbolt or any other USB-C configuration (DP, HDMI) for the display signal.
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ms...-gaming-x-card-with-usb-type-c-connector.html

Videocardz is reporting two sources stating that a 1070 Ti is forthcoming.

3VqSaqW.jpg

It seems like Nvidia's goals with this hypothetical product would be:
  • Harness late-cycle yield improvements
  • Convincingly beat Vega 56 in perf/$
  • Use GDDR5X to make the product less desirable to miners
The consensus appears to be that it would have fewer SMs disabled. 25% disabled in the current 1070 is a lot for a 314mm2 die in production for 18 months.

One source is uncertain whether it'll use GDDR5 or GDDR5X, while the other suggests GDDR5. If the supply situation makes sense, 10 Gbps GDDR5X would provide a performance improvement while making the card less valuable to miners.

Of course, 9 Gbps GDDR5 might also be a possibility, since the 1070 was curiously left out of the overclocked memory "refresh" on the 1060 and 1080. Maybe this is why it was left out?

If this is replacing the 1070, then it would mean Vega 56 would no longer threaten perf/$ at that level. Though Vega 56 isn't approaching $400 any time soon, so there's that.

Barring forthcoming market dynamics, I don't see a suitable price bracket for a 1070 Ti right now. Where I live, GTX 1070 is about 400 EUR, GTX 1080 about 500 (cheapest models each). Hard to fit anything in between.

Videocardz is reporting two sources stating that a 1070 Ti is forthcoming

If the sources are based on this image then it's false, this image is clearly a typo, GTX 1070 doesn't require a 650w power supply at all, even the 1080 doesn't require it (official recommendation for both is 500w). This is clearly a 1080Ti misspelled. Videocardz is skeptical of the info as well.

Edit: sorry mistook the power rating for the whole system as the recommended rating for the card. Though, my skepticism remains.

Last edited:
If the sources are based on this image then it's false, this image is clearly a typo, GTX 1070 doesn't require a 650w power supply at all, even the 1080 doesn't require it (official recommendation for both is 500w). This is clearly a 1080Ti misspelled. Videocardz is skeptical of the info as well.

Edit: sorry mistook the power rating for the whole system as the recommended rating for the card. Though, my skepticism remains.

I get where you're coming from. The thing that convinced me was the ASUS model number. For the Strix line, "O8G" means "Overclocked 8 GB".

This shows up on model numbers for the 1080 and 1070.

• ASUS GTX1080-8G
  • ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1080-8G-GAMING
  • ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS
  • ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING
  • ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING
  • ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GAMING

The 1080 Ti would've used an "O11G" like other ASUS 1080 Ti cards, e.g.

• ASUS STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
  • ASUS STRIX-GTX1080TI-11G-GAMING

PCPartPicker is a nice source for these kinds of model numbers: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#m=8&sort=-price&c=380,373,369,367,390,221

Barring forthcoming market dynamics, I don't see a suitable price bracket for a 1070 Ti right now. Where I live, GTX 1070 is about 400 EUR, GTX 1080 about 500 (cheapest models each). Hard to fit anything in between.

I agree that the GP104 parts is too many. My best guess is that this would replace the 1070 at the same the price point. Nvidia probably doesn't want to sell a GP104 with 25% of its SMs disabled if they are getting good yields. Maybe keep the 1070 around for OEM machines.

Last edited:
Nvidia probably doesn't want to sell a GP104 with 25% of its SMs disabled if they are getting good yields. Maybe keep the 1070 around for OEM machines.
FWIW, the GTX 1070 mobile version uses a GP104 chip with less SMs disabled than the desktop version, so NVIDIA already have a use for these chips. A hypothetical 1070Ti would cause a shortage in the mobile sector.

Ok, I can confirm it's perumably coming next month.

IMO, this has turned into an egging party from NVIDIA, I don't see any reason for this card, NVIDIA isn't threatened in the slightest by Vega 56 or any Vega for that matter, they are ghost cards in most places, their quantities are limited, demand for Pascal GPUs remains strong, public perception and mind share is at an all time high, why this move? Are they really so annoyed AMD has a single semi-bright spot in their bleak page? Does NVIDIA get off on harassing AMD whenever possible or what? This only serves to confuse customers some more, and it's not worth it, not when Volta is looming by.

Almost a year and a half after production starting on GP104, it makes sense that nvidia doesn't need to disable that many SM to make lots of salvaged GP104 parts.

I think this achieves two purposes in one swoop:
1 - Getting performance parity or advantage over Vega 56
2 - Re-deals the GPU price towards consumers so that they absorb at least part of the recent GDDR5 price increase.

OTOH, nvidia releasing a "new" Pascal GPU in late Q3 or Q4 2017 probably means we won't be seeing Volta before mid-2018.
Not that they should, as they're comfortable as it is with the current setting.

Last edited by a moderator:
OTOH, nvidia releasing a "new" Pascal GPU in late Q3 or Q4 2017 probably means we won't be seeing Volta before mid-2018.
Not that they should, as they're comfortable as it is with the current setting.
There isn't really a need for it, current pascy is a great architecture. They're the fastest GPUs out there in most cases. Only hardware geek upgrade fever drives people to want to upgrade; when you're already fastest on the block, there's little incentive for regular people AND nvidia themselves to want to release a new product.

My mate bought a 1080Ti just a few weeks ago, first graphics upgrade in years for him, and he came from a lower mid-range card, so huge huge kick in the pants performance-wise...

They could. It would be pretty poor marketing and business strategy, but they could...
How is earning more bad business strategy? Someone is going to replace their 1060/70 with a 1070ti at this point? Any sensible executive would be flooding the market with Pascal's, even if to get in on mining, before Volta hits and buyers realize it'll be relegated to old games. Flood the market before Vega gains its competitive advantage.

IMO, this has turned into an egging party from NVIDIA, I don't see any reason for this card, NVIDIA isn't threatened in the slightest by Vega 56 or any Vega for that matter, they are ghost cards in most places, their quantities are limited, demand for Pascal GPUs remains strong, public perception and mind share is at an all time high, why this move? Are they really so annoyed AMD has a single semi-bright spot in their bleak page? Does NVIDIA get off on harassing AMD whenever possible or what? This only serves to confuse customers some more, and it's not worth it, not when Volta is looming by.
What's wrong with covering all your bases?

If being threatened by the competition were the only reason to release GPUs, Nvidia would have had to wait for another year before releasing a Titan Xp or a 1080Ti.

AMD just semi-forced them into adding more pro features to the Titan. This seems like an appropriate response. :)

How is earning more bad business strategy? Someone is going to replace their 1060/70 with a 1070ti at this point? Any sensible executive would be flooding the market with Pascal's, even if to get in on mining, before Volta hits and buyers realize it'll be relegated to old games. Flood the market before Vega gains its competitive advantage.
The amount of ridiculousness oozing from this post is beyond help at this point. Pascal will not be relegated to old games, and If you think NVIDIA is worried about some fantastical driver features, then you have another thing coming.

Maybe (s)he was using hyperboles & describing a hypothetical worse case scenario for nV?

In any case, there are some logistical/supply issues that nVidia would need to address when introducing this 1070Ti tinggie. Possibly removing an existing product from their stack, which should be the 1070.
A good scenario would be IMO to equip this Ti with GDDR5X and then sell the existing 1070 only to miners, since they would take the GDDR5 card over the GDDR5X one.
But do they need to bother? I think they're seeling everything they can produce already and with this 1070 Ti, it's not going to change. They should be still be limited to a simmilar ammount of chips+RAM combinations

Kudos to them anyway if they do this launch, any improvement in their product stack is welcome for us customers

Back