Destiny 2 crash bug on PS4 Pro?

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
Seems like the latest game to be PS4 Pro Enabled is having issues, Destiny 2 seems to be crashing but only on 4Pro consoles. I'm surprised that this made it past QA and was allowed to release in this state.

Bungie Support Thread with people describing their issues: https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/230491608?sort=0&page=0

Other sites discussing or reporting the issue:
https://segmentnext.com/2017/09/06/destiny-2-crash-every-3-4-mins-ps4-pro/
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/1701279/destiny-2-is-having-a-serious-crashing-problem

---
More people have piled into the thread to note that the PS4 Pro is freezing and crashing while playing Destiny 2. Some users reported that they had this issue before Destiny 2 came out and they had Sony repair the system after it began freezing and hanging up on certain games.

Some are saying it's a hardware issue while others are saying its a software issue. Some have said that this is something they're experiencing both on the PlayStation 4 physical copy and digital copy of Destiny 2, revealing that it's not something limited to one format or the other.

Now if you think this is only happening to older PS4 Pro models, think again. A few people in the thread have also encountered this problem with the Destiny 2 launch bundles. Expect Bungie to issue either a hotfix or a patch as soon as the problem is properly identified and resolved.

I'm surprised that this made it past QA and was allowed to release in this state.
Unless every PS4Pro has this, chances are they didn't encounter the bug and that's why it released.

I guess that is one of the cons of mid-gen hardware, another machine to support and do Q&A for. Soon console owners will be in the same compatibility nightmare as the PC master race :D

Seems like the latest game to be PS4 Pro Enabled is having issues, Destiny 2 seems to be crashing but only on 4Pro consoles.

Actually the fourth reply to the Bungie thread you linked is someone saying they have the same issue on their Xbox One. The second reply was someone saying they initialized their PS4 and it seemed to fix it.

FWIW I completed the campaign without issues on ps4 pro, so it's not like everybody is impacted by this bug.
Anyway, console games always had bugs, ask Nintendo about super mario on NES, it's just that now games are much more complex, and we actually have the ability to patch them.

It's no doubt the platform with the smallest install base gets the least testing. I have a pro and have crashed twice in about 30+ hours. Bungie needs a patch.

People saying it's a hardware issue are crazy. It's always SW. Unless you have defective hardware, the SW is causing the issue no doubt.

Last edited:
I had only a couple of crashes on my whole campaign playthrough on PS4 pro. Doubt it's a hardware issue.

damn.. this sucks. D2 is a much better game than D1 is. If you love this game, it would be painful to have to deal with these crashes all the. I really hope Bungie is able to resolve these issues.

On that note, I do wonder if Scorpio will suffer a similar fate as 4Pro. I think, or often wonder that if the issue is hardware, are the chips that actually must use their redundancy CUs, have poorer stability vs the ones that have perfect CUs. I mean, we wouldn't know, but this might explain why some systems crash a lot more than others.

Or it could be a network problem. Which, poor net code can crash the game.

damn.. this sucks. D2 is a much better game than D1 is. If you love this game, it would be painful to have to deal with these crashes all the. I really hope Bungie is able to resolve these issues.

On that note, I do wonder if Scorpio will suffer a similar fate as 4Pro. I think, or often wonder that if the issue is hardware, are the chips that actually must use their redundancy CUs, have poorer stability vs the ones that have perfect CUs. I mean, we wouldn't know, but this might explain why some systems crash a lot more than others.

Or it could be a network problem. Which, poor net code can crash the game.

Since it's apparently also crashing on some Xbox systems it's probably not specific to Sony hardware CUs....

Since it's apparently also crashing on some Xbox systems it's probably not specific to Sony hardware CUs....
They are the same CUs so yea I can only assume. I'm not a hardware guy so I would like to think bad CUs would just be deactivated and replaced by good CUs.
With 36/40 CUs, maybe more can go bad, vs the 12/14 Xbox has. 2 vs 4 clusters. With 1 redundant CU per cluster.

They are the same CUs so yea I can only assume. I'm not a hardware guy so I would like to think bad CUs would just be deactivated and replaced by good CUs.
With 36/40 CUs, maybe more can go bad, vs the 12/14 Xbox has. 2 vs 4 clusters. With 1 redundant CU per cluster.

There are forms of hot-spare redundancy at a processor level, but I am drawing a blank on this being an option for GPUs, and the silicon products that do support this generally have more significant zeroes in their prices than a new car.

The inactive CUs for these products are done for yield recovery in manufacturing, and it's been generally hard-set with blown fuses in GPUs for some time. If the CUs could be turned on outside of the factory, it removes their ability to salvage chips with a faulty CU while still not being available in a marketable way for performance.
The probability of a silicon unit going bad in an individual console is very remote, relative to the the many, many more likely failure modes. A game console CU is also not running workloads considered important enough to invest the resources needed to check for or handle something that rare.

It seems early to go for a hardware fault as a cause. It's not impossible, but the new console does have more units, more features, and less mature firmware. The PS4 Pro has had system updates related to stability before.

Turning off hdcp is supposed to partially mitigates the problem, so there is some weird tv signalling interaction, or timing, or memory corruption, or race condition.This doesn't look like lazy QA at all. The QA team would not test against all TV brands and firmwares.

Nice to see sony and bungie working together to resolve the issue. Still a breath of fresh air compared to the fucking assholes who made Kerbal Space Program and ran away with our money. :rolleyes:

It's no doubt the platform with the smallest install base gets the least testing. I have a pro and have crashed twice in about 30+ hours. Bungie needs a patch.

People saying it's a hardware issue are crazy. It's always SW. Unless you have defective hardware, the SW is causing the issue no doubt.

If Sony had released a cheap PS4 aArcade with half the flops, ram and bandwidth that nobody cared to buy that would make sense.

But it's not a good ideal for a platform owner to release a premium sku and allow devs to give half ass efforts with it comes to QA.

The Pro probably has an outsized representation of PlayStation most ardent supporters as well as hardcore gamers. Giving them an uneven experience due to a smaller userbase would probably lead to plenty of internet noise and become an image and quality perception issue.

Devs should offer things like longer betas for premium skus. And both MS and Sony could do with game QA what MS does with its OS QA, which is create a group of dedicated users that happily take part in the quality process and give healthy amounts of feedback.

Turning off hdcp is supposed to partially mitigates the problem, so there is some weird tv signalling interaction, or timing, or memory corruption, or race condition.This doesn't look like lazy QA at all. The QA team would not test against all TV brands and firmwares.

Nice to see sony and bungie working together to resolve the issue. Still a breath of fresh air compared to the fucking assholes who made Kerbal Space Program and ran away with our money. :rolleyes:
ugg that sounds brutal. TV signalling? S**t man lol, that's got to be the worst type of bugs to test for.

Got my 3rd crash in the middle of a strike last night, putting the game aside for the moment. That 3rd crash was a lot scarier, with previous ones the console was still beeping, gave an error code after a bit and just crashed into the dashboard, but the last one blacked out the screen, cut out the video signal and completely froze the system, had to unplug the power cord to recover. Read on the Bungie twitter account that after todays's server maintenance a hot fix will be deployed on all systems, don't know what it fixes, though.

Only because Destiny 2 is huge. If Destiny were the size of KSP, Sony wouldn't lift a finger and the devs would likely be impossibly positioned to debug this.

I've been playing this game every day for ~2 hours during the last 5 days on the Pro in a 4K TV and I don't think I've encountered any bug.

I do wonder what's taking them so long to release that damn HDR patch though.

Back