AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

Out of order rasterization is orthogonal to DSBR and is supported on GPUs prior to Vega.
DSBR would ideally be reordering geometry by triangle, patch, or draw; front to back, to facilitate culling with a TBDR-like approach. Ordered would imply immediate mode renderers. These changes, while they have been around for a while, are likely laying the groundwork for Vega features as they should be connected. Odd feature to focus on for a "very minor boost" when Vega is otherwise lacking many major features. I wouldn't say it's orthogonal as DSBR would be establishing more significant bins with out of order sourcing geometry from those bins. The four SEs are essentially four bins already to establish locality.

DSBR would ideally be reordering geometry by triangle, patch, or draw; front to back, to facilitate culling with a TBDR-like approach. Ordered would imply immediate mode renderers. These changes, while they have been around for a while, are likely laying the groundwork for Vega features as they should be connected. Odd feature to focus on for a "very minor boost" when Vega is otherwise lacking many major features. I wouldn't say it's orthogonal as DSBR would be establishing more significant bins with out of order sourcing geometry from those bins. The four SEs are essentially four bins already to establish locality.
It's orthogonal because you can specify out of order rasterization and see a benefit with DSBR disabled. "Very minor boost" is a subjective statement so I don't know what the author means. In most cases where there's a performance boost it will be a low single digit boost. It's possible to see larger gains, but it's not common.

Very unlikely, they won't use more processes than they absolutely have to (because cost, you know), and their main producer will always be GloFo. Vega 20 will most likely be their first 7LP product from GloFo, somewhere around Q4/2018. Also it could be mostly (only?) a Pro product, because it may have 4 stacks of HBM2.
Maybe for next gen consoles production?

I don't know where to post this, but that doesn't sounds good :
Raja Koduri takes a Sabbatical from AMD's Radeon Technologies Group
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gp...atical_from_amd_s_radeon_technologies_group/1

It says it's for family reason, with the Vega launch being hard&all, but... That's the job, and it's always hard, even when successful... I find it strange leaving at that point, the Pro WX9100 and pro SSG based on Vega are being launch today I believe, and Vega need new drivers, enabling features, etc, like, right now...

Of course I don't work at RTG, but I would be pretty pissed if my boss took a vacation when every one is under a lot of stress due to a project like that...

I don't know where to post this, but that doesn't sounds good :
Raja Koduri takes a Sabbatical from AMD's Radeon Technologies Group
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gp...atical_from_amd_s_radeon_technologies_group/1

It says it's for family reason, with the Vega launch being hard&all, but... That's the job, and it's always hard, even when successful... I find it strange leaving at that point, the Pro WX9100 and pro SSG based on Vega are being launch today I believe, and Vega need new drivers, enabling features, etc, like, right now...

Of course I don't work at RTG, but I would be pretty pissed if my boss took a vacation when every one is under a lot of stress due to a project like that...
For those who don't bother to read the whole thing, he plans to return in December and the focus more on the architecture and realizing the visions of RTG rather than the operational lead part he's been doing now

Ok, I'm almost sure that he is not the only one working at rtg

:D

Yeah I know, my point is, RTG is in a very busy moment (? sorry, I don't know how to formulate that well in english), and the leader taking a sabbatical at that moment seems weird / not a good signal, for me.

Yeah I know, my point is, RTG is in a very busy moment (? sorry, I don't know how to formulate that well in english), and the leader taking a sabbatical at that moment seems weird / not a good signal, for me.

In positions like that there is never a good time.

For those who don't bother to read the whole thing, he plans to return in December and the focus more on the architecture and realizing the visions of RTG rather than the operational lead part he's been doing now
Where does he say the focus will be on "architecture and ... RTG"? I read the whole letter and couldn't find that bit.

edit - nevermind I found it.

Last edited:

While most of us may hate RTG's marketing and general (lack) of communication, the group has been very successful at recovering marketshare and making money (Polaris 10 being constantly sold out should be enough to cover that much).

More often than not, these sudden leaves unfortunately have nothing to do with the professional performance of the person in question.
Let's hope all is well with Raja and/or his family.

If Vega was a compete succeed I can see how this can happen as a regard to him but with Vega being what it is and the recent twitter price fiasco I don't see this as a good sign.

Tbh RTG had the best possible scenario, miners. cards selling out if more to do with miners than gamers and AMD still have a great wall of brand image to surpass in that field.

I also think this is a very vert strange time since VEGA is half enable so shouldn't he be 101% being focus and making vega being fully operational? unless.......vega is hardware broken beyond software repair and needs to be redesign and even is that case I think he should be focus on that and not on taking vacations.

Tech industry burnout is a very real thing. I'm sure AMD is aware and manage those things well. It's better to have him take leave, and to be honest end of September to some time in December is not that crazy anyway. Now is the best time, because their major project launches are done, and it terms of "sustaining" type activities like driver improvements, I doubt they need someone at the top to be fully involved all of the time. Companies like that tend to not micro-manage from the top down anyway, at least the good ones don't. You hire good people that are self-motivated. With someone else covering, none of this seems outrageous.

Last edited:
I also think this is a very vert strange time since VEGA is half enable so shouldn't he be 101% being focus and making vega being fully operational?
Driver and software enablement would be under the direction of someone else and not micromanaged. I'd imagine the last thing they need is someone cooking up more features to be added right now as they appear to have quite a backlog. It seems they are just hammering away at compiler and driver implementations for the time being and I'd imagine much of that architecture work carries forward to Navi.

At least for me, this part of the memo means that we probably won't be seeing Vega 11 or Raven Ridge in the stores before Q1 2018:
Lisa and I agreed that Q4 is better than 2018, before the next wave of product excitement.

Which is quite a shame, really. I thought Raven Ridge would be one of the greatest revelations of 2017.

I also think this is a very vert strange time since VEGA is half enable so shouldn't he be 101% being focus and making vega being fully operational? unless.......vega is hardware broken beyond software repair and needs to be redesign and even is that case I think he should be focus on that and not on taking vacations.

That or maybe the head of RTG's job is to go to hundreds of meetings with staff to help solve logistical problems and hundreds of meetings with possible medium/large-scale clients, instead of being in front of a PC monitor looking at thousands of lines of code trying to figure out how to enable feature X while not breaking everything else.

management work is not bureaucratic, its to ensure everything and everyone is being used as close to a 100% efficiency as possible and someone like Raja is also involves in design(that was why they rehire him in first place) so he should be managing resources to make sure those problems get fixed as soon as possible.

About Vega 11 and RR being schedule for 2018 tells me that the current vega may be hardware broken and that they will(are) redesigning to fix it, there is no other reason I see for that launch day(we already have zen and we already have vega and since zen is ready I only see vega not being ready the reason) Time will tell.

I don't know: Between him leaving right after what I though was an extended vacation with Lisa herself (as opposed to one of his own underlings) taking the reins, taken together with him not getting stock option bonus last month may indicate there is some internal fraction/dissatisfaction with group's performance.

I think the strategic decision to so heavily tie themselves to HMB has been a glaring mistake and skipping an annual product cycle could not have been too popular either.

Back