Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is interested in a reference monitor for gaming or watching film, but doesn't want to spend $30k on a 30 inch monitor, you can always go with the Sony PVM x550.

It ditches the 30" rgb OLED for a (I am guessing) 55" LG display (unless Sony doesn't mind sourcing the same tech from a different manufacturer). Still uses the trimaster processing engine (dual FPGAs?). Comes with 4 HDMI and 2 Display ports.

All for the cost of a 77" inch Sony A1.

LOL.

Last edited:
Peak brightness is lower than LG though, at 400 cd/m2 only. Deliberately set because that white subpixel trades off color purity for brighter picture, so Sony must believe that 400 cd/m2 is the sweet spot to maximize luminess output while minimizing color purity loss.

And that RGB Sony BVM costs fortunes because its using an ancient 3G or 4G LCD factory retooled into OLED production. Mass production is out of question and modern TFT manufacturering that are geared towards 8G to 10G technique cannot be implemented so pretty much a lot of manufacturing is done by hands. Yield must also be poor. I dread how much they have to throw away just to get the sample with 0.13% Delta Error.

Somehow I got distracted with this topic again and stumbled upon the following, where a Reddit user shows "burn-in" on their LG E6 OLED:
I'm not surprised, really. Personally I would never game on an OLED TV. I wouldn't even watch TV TV on an OLED TV, because of those stupid facking logos they insist on putting up in the corner of the screen. I'd use logo-free streaming services instead or video played off of discs.

Anyway, can anyone figure out from the residual graphics what game that might be he's been playing? :p

Yeah Samsung OLED phones get burn in fairly easily, at least as of a few years ago. Happened to my brother. He left it on spotify or something as a delivery driver all day repeatedly, and the controls burned in.

What a load of shit. Huge premiums (aka margins) for high end TVs that literally burn your pocket and screens. What you get is less than what you pay for.

Samsung OLED phones get burn in fairly easily, at least as of a few years ago.
Interestingly, my OG Apple Watch shows no signs of burn-in as of yet, and it's about 2 1/4 years old now. Of course, the screen isn't lit for very long each day, but it shows the watch face almost every time (almost only exception is when I'm running the exercise app...)

Somehow I got distracted with this topic again and stumbled upon the following, where a Reddit user shows "burn-in" on their LG E6 OLED:

I don't know, it could easily be FUD and there are a lots of contrasting reports about LG and burn-ins.
It could just be image retention. Was the tv configured in Torch Mode (aka store mode) ?
Anyway, I'm getting paranoid, so I'm using 60 oled brightness on my set and frown at static images ^^
I'll remember to post back here in one year and post about any burn-in.
So far it's great though (oled b6), excellent picture quality, true blacks

The only backdraws are
* Poor motion estimation algorithms. I hate motion interpolation artifacts and apparently Samsung & Sony are better at this. I don't mean the SOAP opera effect which is unavoidable as soon as you increase frame rates. I mean picture artifacts due to poor motion estimation. I disable it completely
* Increased motion sensibility. I can't stand 24p panning scenes anymore, maybe due to increased precision. I begin to feel it in theaters too..
* Poor ARC audio, the tv cannot push back 5.1 pcm from ps4 to amp, and my amp doesn't handle 4k, so i have to transcode to DTS
* Apparently no webos 3.5 so probably no dolby atmos (don't care) and no hdr10+ (not sure about the name)
* PS4 output blu rays with limited rgb (16-235) but games could use full rgb (0-255) so you have to force limited output if you often switch between these two modes. Which mean losing a very small dynamic range in non-hdr games. If you don't you either have crushed blacks or grey blacks when they can be perfect ^^

Advantages:
* The picture is perfect, true blacks, high contrast, and HDR is awesome. I'm getting spoiled and reluctantly watch something out of dolby vision netflix category
I can't wait for Destiny 2 HDR patch which seem designed for it with plenty of highlights everywhere

* Poor motion estimation algorithms. I hate motion interpolation artifacts and apparently Samsung & Sony are better at this.
My a-few-years-old Samsung artifacts a bit around stuff like subtitles for example, or other static imagery with small holes in it for example. I don't get too hung up on it, the effects are inobtrusive and on the whole the smoothing works quite well most of the time. Some camera moves it can't handle or when there's too much stuff going in different directions all at once, so then it just falls back to original framerate.

The top-end Sony set I checked out a while back was really impressive on the demo reel at least. Couldn't notice any artifacting at all, even around text layered on moving imagery. Then again, maybe it was 60fps source material I was watching and the smoothing turned off in the set, I've no idea. :D

I don't mean the SOAP opera effect
There's no "soap opera effect". This label is just elitist, nonsensical bullshit. People who think low framerates in movies are inherently better need a cannon ramrod shoved up their asses.

* PS4 output blu rays with limited rgb (16-235)
Really? :/ I did not know that. Now I am disappoint, why would Sony do a stupid shitty thing like that?

Oh well. I'm gonna retire my PS4 as a movie-watching device as soon as I can. It makes too much noise and draws too much power, and all those vents clog up with dust regularly, it's a pain having to clean it out again and again.

My a-few-years-old Samsung artifacts a bit around stuff like subtitles for example, or other static imagery with small holes in it for example. I don't get too hung up on it, the effects are inobtrusive and on the whole the smoothing works quite well most of the time. Some camera moves it can't handle or when there's too much stuff going in different directions all at once, so then it just falls back to original framerate.

The top-end Sony set I checked out a while back was really impressive on the demo reel at least. Couldn't notice any artifacting at all, even around text layered on moving imagery. Then again, maybe it was 60fps source material I was watching and the smoothing turned off in the set, I've no idea. :D

I've read somewhere that you could use full motion interpolation on recent sony sets and you had no/few artifacts apart from smooth motion, which I actually like.
I didn't check in stores, because most of the time, salesman don't even know what i'm talking about...

There's no "soap opera effect". This label is just elitist, nonsensical bullshit. People who think low framerates in movies are inherently better need a cannon ramrod shoved up their asses.

It's called SOAP opera effect because TV is interlaced at 60Hz so they have smooth motion since the dawn of television. I don't mind the name. However if anybody tell me straight "I don't like it" or "I like motion judder", I will force him to watch stuff, point to the artifacts until such erroneous notions are corrected ^^
I just watched Prometheus recently and the beginning scene have a lots a panning, and it's jerky, even with 24p playback activated.
I can live with it, but I wish everything was 60Hz (and HDR) instead of 4k or even 8k

Really? :/ I did not know that. Now I am disappoint, why would Sony do a stupid shitty thing like that?

Oh well. I'm gonna retire my PS4 as a movie-watching device as soon as I can. It makes too much noise and draws too much power, and all those vents clog up with dust regularly, it's a pain having to clean it out again and again.

It's not entirely Sony fault, blu rays are probably encoded at 16-235, I don't remember my memory is not fresh about this. They made the choice to leave the pixels untouched to the screen. I just wish it had an option somewhere.
I don't remember how I did it on my previous LCD, maybe full was unsupported, or using 24p output used limited blacks automatically

There's no "soap opera effect".
There definitely is. Watching movies with motion tweening on, they look 'cheaper'. This is obviously a subjective, psychological effect, but it definitely exists. Movies seem less like movies, for whatever reason. What's really interesting here though is if motion interpolation can work on 30fps games.

Anyway, can anyone figure out from the residual graphics what game that might be he's been playing? :p

From the comments, he says its from OverWatch and the bottom part circle is from the "change characters" part that is only displayed for like 30 to 60 seconds at the beginning of a new match so its not even displayed the entire time.

This just makes me wish every game had dynamic huds where they would slightly adjust their position as well as the color/contrast of it.

Supposedly its getting a bit better from him running the anti-burnin program more and more. However its likely only being improved from having the rest of the surrounding oleds being lessened.

The biggest take away I got from this is the customer service from LG is horrible.

From the comments, he says its from OverWatch and the bottom part circle is from the "change characters" part that is only displayed for like 30 to 60 seconds at the beginning of a new match so its not even displayed the entire time.

This just makes me wish every game had dynamic huds where they would slightly adjust their position as well as the color/contrast of it.

Supposedly its getting a bit better from him running the anti-burnin program more and more. However its likely only being improved from having the rest of the surrounding oleds being lessened.

The biggest take away I got from this is the customer service from LG is horrible.

So basically he paused a YouTube video of overwatch and fell asleep?*

I cannot see burn in happening in such a small timeframe or everyone would get it from almost any source.

*Which in no way excuses poor customer service.

HDR gaming is only gonna exacerbate the burn in at this rate, the vastly higher brightness and color saturation when compared to SDR would literally put a dent on an Oled screen that much faster.

I was able to borrow a van and picked up an X900E from Best Buy on Friday. Some thoughts... first, WOW the TV is gorgeous. Deep blacks, next to no issues with viewing angle (tv is a bit offset so depending on which side of the couch you sit on, you get a fairly nasty viewing angle), it's bright enough to easily overcome any issues with natural light coming in through the windows during the day. And the upscaler in the TV is rather absurd. Absurdly good. 720 and 1080 content have never looked so good. Replacing the 1080p TV in the bedroom is now on the list.

Android OS is as I thought it would be - identical to my Shield TV (imagine that!), so that familiarity removes any issues others might experience from lack of exposure or comparisons to other smart TV OS's. It also makes setup a breeze with my Nexus phone as it just imported everything and I was good to go. Watched a number of movies from Amazon in UHD that were glorious, and watched The Death Note from Netflix in 4KHDR that had some truly jaw-dropping scenes that really demonstrated the impact of HDR. A few of them almost stood out to the point of distraction, sort of the way that old 3D movies used to have scenes in them that you could tell were put in just for the 3D effect. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but at least in this case the experience was a great one, although perhaps distracting by making good visuals amazing.

I installed SPMC on the X900 and streamed a UHD HDR rip of Inferno from my DS214, and while I wouldn't recommend the movie itself, it has some amazing locations that are simply gorgeous. As a side benefit, because I'm running SPMC, Netflix and Amazon as native TV apps, I can do everything a single remote rather than having to remember that the remote that pauses SPMC on my HTPC doesn't pause the W10 Netflix or Amazon apps.

Just about the only negative I have to say about the X900 is as expected. The sound isn't nearly as deep, rich or precise as the picture. I was debating whether to get the $398 CT-800 or the $598 HT-NT, and as I decided to go with the HT-NT, the sale it was on apparently ended and it's now back up to $799. And that is beyond my S&G limit for a soundbar, so I'll be holding off for now. I haven't spent much time in Youtube as I've been busy with other content.

The thing with LCD is the black level is brighter, but you'll adjust to it as long as your contrast is good. A lot of pc monitors have incredibly poor contrast, so you really notice that the poor black level washes out the image. On reasonable TVs with VA panels, the contrast can be good enough that the black level seems sufficent that the image isn't washed out. When you go to the movie theater you don't get true black either, and it looks fine. That might change if you were really used to looking at OLED, but most people aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back