Pricing Discussions around AMD VEGA *over-flow*

oh wrt to hearing your own heartbeat, there should be a filter in the brain (or hearing system?) that should take out just that. Quite possibly this is only an attenuation , and when the noise floor is low we can still hear it.

A doctor that dealt with these told me that there's even a condition where this filter doesn't work, unfortunately . It's apparently maddening to constantly hear the heartbeat at full force.

Happens to me when I have insomnia.
It's terrible.

It could be worse, though. Our brain also has a filter to put out the presence of our nose from our vision. Imagine if we were constantly distracted by our own nose.

oh wrt to hearing your own heartbeat, there should be a filter in the brain (or hearing system?) that should take out just that. Quite possibly this is only an attenuation , and when the noise floor is low we can still hear it.

A doctor that dealt with these told me that there's even a condition where this filter doesn't work, unfortunately . It's apparently maddening to constantly hear the heartbeat at full force.
Potentially, since such low ambient sound levels were likely very rare in evolutionary history, whether the mechanism could handle near total silence wasn't something that could provide significant selective pressure.

If it's attenuation or a selective boosting of outside stimuli, the zero ambient scenario can pose a different problem since being able to handle it means giving the brain a suppression system capable of totally blocking auditory input, given it has nothing else to work with. The evolutionary downside to a system that might misbehave to that extent seems more clear.

Sure, but even the anechoic-ness can vary quite a lot. World record still is Microsofts AC with -20,6 dB(a):
https://venturebeat.com/2015/10/01/...amber-officially-the-quietest-place-on-earth/

In our (semi-)anechoic room, we can measure down to 13,4 dB(A) IIRC and that's a quietness-level, where the loudest thing you perceive is the blood flowing through your ears already. Makes me crazy if I'm in there for too long, have to take a break every 15 minutes or so.

Many people just measure in their office rooms, usually after hours and with a noise floor of about 25-30 dB(A). Also, the distance between sound source and microphone often varies a lot. Some do ISO-conformant 100 cm, some go as close as 5 -10 cm. It's also a difference whether your measure perpendicular to the fan axis or from the top, while the card is installed in a usual tower case.
A friend of mine reported the same thing, apparently hearing your own heartbeat can be somewhat disturbing.

I believe it comes to our natural instincts, as hearing your heartbeat is one way of your body warning you about something (usually overheating I think, since it's usually connected to exhaustion from physical activities or sitting in proper sauna)

It's excruciating to sit in a sound-proof room with tinnitus. Just got the Vega 56, and in a quick testing with Tekken7 at 4k and an open case, I can't hear it over the room fan. >80C on HBM isn't something to like however.

27Mhz on GPU core at idle :oops:

OMG they not have break even at least !

"If they could have priced Vega more aggressively against the still-strong year-old Nvidia Pascal architecture, then it would have a better chance of taking the market by storm, but unfortunately the price of HBM2 is a big sticking point. And with AMD reportedly losing $100 on each card sold at the suggested price, it looks like they’ve done all they can on that front."

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-rx-vega-56-review-benchmarks

"If they could have priced Vega more aggressively against the still-strong year-old Nvidia Pascal architecture, then it would have a better chance of taking the market by storm, but unfortunately the price of HBM2 is a big sticking point. And with AMD reportedly losing $100 on each card sold at the suggested price, it looks like they’ve done all they can on that front."

Do they have any evidence to back up any of those claims? Their HBM costs article was bogus comparing capacity without accounting for bandwidth. With drivers and feature enablement, the issue would be getting the card performing as expected, not lowering the price to create a $300 Ti in the near future. If AMD we're losing money, they wouldn't be pushing out cards to miners or providing rebates.

Yup, Vegas are not game consoles; and AMD cannot afford a business model where it loses money on their higher volume parts. The web is now regurgitating the same rumor, we need more than that to make it remotely believable

Is this the denial?
Raja Koduri
@GFXChipTweeter
Antwort an @SWenerski
would have been fair if they genuinely knows about the bill of materials for all gpus and routinely publish. Will talk to fudo.

He's saying Fuad doesn't actually know the BoM of the GPUs so yes. He's probably contractually prohibited from publicly discussing the BoM of their GPUs (meaning he can't even say yes or no) so this is as close as he gets for making a rebuttal.

Asking, because he said he'd talk to Fudo and yet, there's no new story or an update. Normally, you'd expect something after a few days at least because that would bring more traffic to his site.

The author of that review put the GP104 transistor count and die size in the GP102 column...

Asking, because he said he'd talk to Fudo and yet, there's no new story or an update. Normally, you'd expect something after a few days at least because that would bring more traffic to his site.
And with Raja not being allowed to go on record about the graphics cards' BoM, what could this article update say?
Maybe he didn't talk to Fuad, but if he did maybe all he could say was "Off-the-record: you're wrong and I can't say anything more about it". What kind of update could this result into?

How about "I'm incorrect about this information so I'm going to update the article to reflect that"? Or is that too honest for click-bait journalism?
Bingo!

This is, after all, fudzilla.

And with Raja not being allowed to go on record about the graphics cards' BoM, what could this article update say?
Maybe he didn't talk to Fuad, but if he did maybe all he could say was "Off-the-record: you're wrong and I can't say anything more about it". What kind of update could this result into?
With yellow press being as creative as they are, I am sure he'd find a way.
Maybe something as uncreative as "Breaking News: Sources close to the matter contacted Fudzilla and revealed additional information. Those are indicating that indeed the BOM might be lower as could faithfully be expected in the first place and point to the possibility that AMD is not only making a break even, but maybe can turn Vega sales into a profit. In the light of newly surfaced facts, we are currently digging deeper trying to confirm or rebut. As of now, take our initial story as an indicator backed by some sources, but maybe not as the be all end all of this delicate topic."

Of course, in the headline you only "update", so people click and link. Quite honestly, for some media (cannot tell if fudzilla is among them), any link and attention grab is better than none, no matter what. And some outlets do not even seems to care for any kind of reputation (again: cannot tell if fudzilla is among them). It's along the lines of "bad press is better than no press".

Back