Xbox One Insider Dashboard OS Previews [2017]

Anybody try out the new light theme yet? It was just enabled about 2 hours ago for Alpha members. Will be nice to try out when I get home. Yeah, new features are getting harder to get excited about. What's left from what was announced at E3?

Tommy McClain

Good to know. I was looking forward to trying the light theme.

I'm now messing around with the Light Theme. Pretty sure I don't like it as well as the Dark Theme, but going to see how blinding it can be or if it'll grow on me.

I know I still absolutely despise the glow effect this round of dashboard updates brought.

Has there always been an "Game transcription" settings that enables speech to text and text to speech in the Ease of Access section?

I'm now messing around with the Light Theme. Pretty sure I don't like it as well as the Dark Theme, but going to see how blinding it can be or if it'll grow on me.

I know I still absolutely despise the glow effect this round of dashboard updates brought.

Yep, I do not like the glow.

It is a bit much, but not so much I despise it. Haven't used the light theme alot. Kids are still awake. Will try checking it out more this evening.

Tommy McClain

I like the light theme in the guide, but having the white tiles with dark text in the store just doesn't look good. Too much contrast between the images, the tiles and the background.

I like the light theme in the guide, but having the white tiles with dark text in the store just doesn't look good. Too much contrast between the images, the tiles and the background.

It's not bad at all, at certain places. However in other spots it's a bit too bright as 80% of the screen is white-ish or other parts where text is to difficult to read. I submitted a few bug reports about the Light-Theme for exactly that, hard to read text in various locations -- the "About Clubs" text white on white in a Club Profile, "Store" twist on the Home Screens, the "TV / Entertainment" twist with the Trending Now section. there was also a couple system pages that were not properly Light Themed, like the Kinect Settings calibration area.

Also, I can't imagine how the Light Theme with HIGH CONTRAST setting applied would even look like. Maybe it would be better, like actually use text colors that you can see, like a nice solid Blue.

I like the glow. The plain square used previously looks so elementary and cheap. At least it adds a bit more aesthetic flair. Be even better if they would introduce some scaling, pulling the selected item into the foreground and utilize drop shadows. That might look nice. In windows 10 it was the same crap but they've slowly been improving that stuff with fluency.

?
I can't connect the dots

I thought ... The system always reserved X% of resources even if Snap was not in use (general OS overhead?), and if SNAP was in use then Y% would be used from the Game resources (in addition to X%), so with Snap gone they could reduce the reservations or put them to use elsewhere, such as higher resolution recording.

I thought ... The system always reserved X% of resources even if Snap was not in use (general OS overhead?), and if SNAP was in use then Y% would be used from the Game resources (in addition to X%), so with Snap gone they could reduce the reservations or put them to use elsewhere, such as higher resolution recording.
This. They said they took away Snap to use those resources for other features like Mixer & higher quality DVR recording. The thing is Snap was optional. It's use or lack thereof didn't mean you couldn't use other background services. They should just give the user a choice.

Tommy McClain

Here's what the Avatars on Home screen looks like. It seems limited to having the friends tiles selected. They're animated and do movements. It would be nicer if they also displayed the users' avatar props, like the Lambent Berserker or Halo Banshee.

upload_2017-9-28_23-29-32.png

Back