Books related to "Making of" and "Art" of video games

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
I am interested in books related to Making of video game titles and Art books of video games.
(This also includes fantasy movies).

Does anyone know publishing houses that bring out such books?

There are online making of and post mortem articles, not sure about books.
Most game companies don't even do post mortem internally so...

GDC Post Mortems are a great start. I like reading the articles of the digital antiquarian in filfre.net too. He'll eventually edit them into a book. He focuses mostly on story heavy computer games from the 80's, but he goes great lenghths to uncover the story of these games production and writes very well.

GDC Post Mortems are a great start. I like reading the articles of the digital antiquarian in filfre.net too. He'll eventually edit them into a book. He focuses mostly on story heavy computer games from the 80's, but he goes great lenghths to uncover the story of these games production and writes very well.
Thanks milk, these are great suggestions..
Basically since I ll be involved in the production of another game starting from this year, what interests me is the creative and artistic process of modern games. Good references and workflows are king.
It is very helpful to have various books I can check at any time.

Comprehensive art books of games and movies are also very helpful

Some devlogs on tigsource are also fascinating. Dukepope's one on Papers please and the still in progress Obra Dinn are excelent. The on on RainWorld is also incredibly detailed and inspiring (it also documents a lot of the learning process of the two man team).
Other two favorites I have right now are Leilani's Island and Frog Days. Those are all sort of niche games though, I'm not so sure how helpful they might be to you, but they are still interesting reads.

Tim shafer also takes a week off every now and then at Double Fine to make an internal game jam for the team to experiment with wild ideas. They document a lot of it on video.

I have a book called "The Making of Black & White". It's from 2001 and this post got me to look at it again. Models were quite pointy back then.

I have a number of Art books. Off the top of my head... (I'll have to go home and look at the shelf).

Favourites:

• Assassin's Creed IV
  • Bioshock 2 ("Deco Devolution")
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Dead Space
  • Gears of War 3 - fairly meaty
  • Mass Effect Universe
  • Witcher: Gwent Gallery
  • Witcher 2 - really cool, not sure if there was an official release. I got it from their E3 booth. Very informative.
  • World of the Witcher
  • Witcher 3 - digital copy from buying the game IIRC

Last edited:
I believe there was something similar for Shadow of the Colossus but was only available to the press. There may be a way to find a PDF if someone "ripped" it. I've only see a few fuzzy photos from it as pieces that were eventually pulled from the game showed up in it.

Back