Nintendo Switch sales numbers

So is Switch stock sitting on store shelves the norm or the exception? We all know the answer is that its the exception. Supply is still under demand, and NPD sales post launch month have shown sales trending about 200k or better even with it being difficult to find. Compare that to Wii U post Christmas NPD months, with plenty of stock sitting on the shelves, and we were seeing sub 50k per month on a consistent basis. Xbox One took 12 months to ship 10 million Xbox One consoles, and Sony sold about 14 million PS4 units in that time. In the past 3 weeks Nintendo has sold about 250k in Japan alone, and was selling about 25k per week leading up to the surge that Splatoon 2. Nintendo reported 4.7 million units sold as of June 30th. Japan alone has sold over 400k since Q2 began. We should have NPD results for July soon enough, and I expect 250k+ units will have been sold. I heard a report earlier today that the stream of supply for units in Japan has greatly increased starting earlier this week, and to expect a much higher than expected sales reported from Media Create next week. If current trends continue, Nintendo will not only have cruised past 6 million sold, but be well on its way to 7 million by the end of August. Remember that MH XX releases in Japan later this month, continuing the momentum Switch has in its homeland.

I am thinking Nintendo has nearly 8 million Switch units sold leading up to the release of Mario Odyssey, and we all know every major market in the world buys Mario. No reason to believe that Mario wont again rekindle any lost momentum, and then there is the Christmas holiday where selling 2-3 million units is a lock. Nintendo may have a chance to sell more Switch units in its first 12 months than even the PS4 accomplished, and will certainly do far better than the Xbox One in its first 12 months.

It's the norm in my area, ready available supply. Maybe my area is an exception.

I mean this with all due respect, but isn't that clear to you? We have links that look for stock, and 9 out of 10 Walmarts for example have no stock. You cannot order a Switch online from Best Buy, Target, or Amazon. Exception being scalpers of course. Gamestop might have some stock that they force $400-500 bundles onto you. What is the hesitation in admitting that Switch is currently supply constrained? If the majority of retailers have no stock, and this isn't false, it is fact, then it is supply contrained. This doesn't mean that demand is insane, only that it exceeds what is available.

It's the norm in my area, ready available supply. Maybe my area is an exception.

Aside from japan we really have no idea how switch will continue to sell in US, or in europe. in the US nintendo has been shipping 165k units every 4 weeks, it sold 216k in june which has 5 weeks, 1.5 million sold in 4 months with it's huge franchises, is very small amount, lets how start selling once stock in met, and most of the early adopters can get one easily.

But it isn't supply constrained in my area.

As I said before about the Gamestop Bundle, you're going to be buying one of those games anyways and the charge kit so it isn't forcing anything extra on first time buyers. You're going to be spending that money for those items anyways.

There's also been plenty of means of buying the Switch online unbundled for retail price.

Why are you ignoring that aspect?

But it isn't supply constrained in my area.

As I said before about the Gamestop Bundle, you're going to be buying one of those games anyways and the charge kit so it isn't forcing anything extra on first time buyers. You're going to be spending that money for those items anyways.

There's also been plenty of means of buying the Switch online unbundled for retail price.

Why are you ignoring that aspect?

There's only ebay online but your paying 10$ over msrp, and 20$ shipping, the other store website i posted is not is really known by anyone, then you have gamestop with bundles that are not really a good deal. The best way to buy one is ebay or checking walmart/target stores, most target store have them in stock at the moment

Last edited:
There is no way of knowing how the Switch will sell once it has reached good global retail availability. That's all speculative extrapolation.
What we can say for certain is that it hasn't happened yet.

Personally I doubt global supply will cover demand until well into 2018, but at what level that will be I wouldn't dare guess.

The recent restock seems to have been a good volume of units. Nearly every Best Buy near me shows in store stock. This is going to make August NPD very interesting. Will improvement in availability translate to a lot more sales, or is the actual demand in the US <250k per month? In Japan things are still hell trying to acquire a Switch. Media Create is reporting 90k sold in Japan last week, and about 70k the week prior. This suggest that world wide sales are likely 750k per month or better. By time Nintendo is reporting on Q2 results, Switch will be north of 7 million sold. Seeing as how Q3 encompasses the Christmas holiday, selling 3-4 million units or more should come easy. Nintendo's early estimates of 10 million sold for the first 12 months on sale are looking pretty conservative now. Switch could possibly match PS4 in sales for their first year on sale. Switch is doing much better in Japan, and PS4 did better in the US and Europe.

The recent restock seems to have been a good volume of units. Nearly every Best Buy near me shows in store stock. This is going to make August NPD very interesting. Will improvement in availability translate to a lot more sales, or is the actual demand in the US <250k per month? In Japan things are still hell trying to acquire a Switch. Media Create is reporting 90k sold in Japan last week, and about 70k the week prior. This suggest that world wide sales are likely 750k per month or better. By time Nintendo is reporting on Q2 results, Switch will be north of 7 million sold. Seeing as how Q3 encompasses the Christmas holiday, selling 3-4 million units or more should come easy. Nintendo's early estimates of 10 million sold for the first 12 months on sale are looking pretty conservative now. Switch could possibly match PS4 in sales for their first year on sale. Switch is doing much better in Japan, and PS4 did better in the US and Europe.

Sony sold through 18.5 milllion in 13 months, playstation brand is huge word wide. We won't know the real base line for switch till next year after holidays. the holidays and after holidays will be a real test of how popular the system is.

It seems Switch availability is still rather sparse. I just checked Wal-Mart's stock for the Cleveland Market (44115), and only two stores showed inventory, and none showed the Neon SKU. Best Buy is also showing no stock. Nintendo is promising increased production in anticipation of the Christmas holiday according to recent reports. I check my local supermarket every time I visit to see if they have units on the shelf, and its been empty for months now. I was occasionally seeing a few units early on from time to time, but stock doesn't seem to last long. The big rush of the launch is over, and Switch has maintained over 200k per month in the US consistently. Far better than the 40-60k Wii U was doing these months.

It seems Switch availability is still rather sparse. I just checked Wal-Mart's stock for the Cleveland Market (44115), and only two stores showed inventory, and none showed the Neon SKU. Best Buy is also showing no stock. Nintendo is promising increased production in anticipation of the Christmas holiday according to recent reports. I check my local supermarket every time I visit to see if they have units on the shelf, and its been empty for months now. I was occasionally seeing a few units early on from time to time, but stock doesn't seem to last long. The big rush of the launch is over, and Switch has maintained over 200k per month in the US consistently. Far better than the 40-60k Wii U was doing these months.

Walmart in your area shows 9 neon switches in stock, target in your area has them as well, probably gamestop as well. Depends on the area some areas of plenty of stock, some places low, but anybody who really wants one can get one now. I think nintendo brand is much stronger then it was after the wii with core gamers, just look at the crazy demand for super nes classic. Wii u is the biggest nintendo failure ever, no point in comparing switch to that.

Last edited:
From GAF, Switch outselling PS4 handily launch aligned in Japan

http://kotaku.com/the-nintendo-switch-keeps-outselling-the-ps4-in-japan-1798691215

The total sales for the PS4 in its first 26 weeks on sale in Japan is 665,760 units sold. The PlayStation 4 has been a very successful console for Sony in Japan with healthy sales.

The Switch’s sales figures are healthier. In its first 26 weeks on sale in Japan, the Nintendo Switch has sold 1,527,962 units. In comparison, it took Sony 69 weeks in Japan to hit 1,523,471 units sold.

Every store that I've been in the last month that sells the Switch has had at least one in stock. This includes when I went on vacation a few weeks back and stopped by a Walmart on the other side of the country.

From GAF, Switch outselling PS4 handily launch aligned in Japan

http://kotaku.com/the-nintendo-switch-keeps-outselling-the-ps4-in-japan-1798691215
Something of a spin on that. "The PlayStation 4 has been a very successful console for Sony in Japan with healthy sales." It's been an okay console in Japan given the current market. Switch is selling equivalent to PSP and 3DS before 3DS took off.

switch0.jpg

Anyone that pays a little attention to sales know this, switch is a beast in japan.
Well it's doing well but it's not a beast. DS was a beast. PSP wasn't. Not saying there isn't considerable appeal or anything - could be supply limited. But on the scale of sales, as the above chart shows, Switch isn't gangbusters in Japan. It's a solid, top-selling product.

Well it's doing well but it's not a beast. DS was a beast. PSP wasn't. Not saying there isn't considerable appeal or anything - could be supply limited. But on the scale of sales, as the above chart shows, Switch isn't gangbusters in Japan. It's a solid, top-selling product.

Well japan console/handheld game market as obviously shrunk. No home console has gone above 13 million since the ps2 days, so in today market in japan, anything doing above 20 million is a beast. I would also call the psp a beast in japan considering it nearly sold as much as ps2 in japan.

Given that its pretty much impossible to go into a store and buy one since day one it is supply limited.

Well japan console/handheld game market as obviously shrunk. No home console has gone above 13 million since the ps2 days, so in today market in japan, anything doing above 20 million is a beast. I would also call the psp a beast in japan considering it nearly sold as much as ps2 in japan.
If Switch is a beast, what were NDS and Wii?

Back