The 100 best PC videogames according to PC Gamer

I'd swear I haven't seen Doom 1, Age of Empires, Heroes of Might & Magic, Diablo 1 and 2, and the original The Need for Speed in the list.
It's a very top-heavy list with releases mostly from the last few years. One might even suspect it's more like a cleverly made ad to sell games to people rather than gaming journalism... :p

That said, the list lacks the 2013 Shadow Warrior re-boot, which was a really rather awesome reimagining of the original (and not very good) game. Haven't bought the 2016 sequel yet, if it's even half as good as its progenitor I'll still enjoy it.

Wolfenstein, Doom, Doom 2, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Strike Commander, Wing Commander, Quake, Quake 2, Half-Life, Half-Life², Outcast are just a few games that come to mind when thinking about important/worth remembering PC video games.

WTF. I bet they didn't have Ultima Underworld on there either?
Ultima Underworld is one of those games I'm kicking myself for never having played in my life ever. Basically everyone I've ever seen talking/writing about it have called it a classic or words to that effect, and all I have of it is some fuzzy screenshots memories from long long ago...

And no, it wasn't on the list.

But like Cyan said, Heroes of Might and Magic wasn't on it either, so it's clearly not a very good list... ;)

Ultima Underworld is one of those games I'm kicking myself for never having played in my life ever. Basically everyone I've ever seen talking/writing about it have called it a classic or words to that effect, and all I have of it is some fuzzy screenshots memories from long long ago...

And no, it wasn't on the list.

But like Cyan said, Heroes of Might and Magic wasn't on it either, so it's clearly not a very good list... ;)
I thought Ultima Underworld was on Amiga... ^^

So glad to see titles like Thief: Gold, but there are some undoubtedly important titles missing, such as Tomb Raider, Monkey Island, Pirates!, Street Fighter II or Dune II (come on?!!).

Well, maybe some of the games I mentioned are "just" a definer of their genre, not necessarily the best, but the same can be done about Thief: Gold, isn't it? Moreover, some of the games I mentioned are superb, no matter what.

Heh, I wish. :D No, it was an early 3D PC game*.

As I recall, it was more 3D in reality than DOOM or any of its relatives, including Rise of the Triads and Duke Nukem. It could have real vertical structures instead of having to fake it with invisible teleporters, offsetting windows so they don't line up and whatnot as Duke's build engine did.

*Someone might have done an Amiga port, I dunno. I didn't keep track of Amiga gaming much past 1991 or so, because my A500 was just too damn slow by then, and when the AGA chipset Amigas appeared mine was totally obsoleted anyway.

I wish I'd bought an A1200 back in the day instead of wasting my money on...whatever it was I spent it on. *sigh*

I have about 10 of them but of them only really played HL2 & Portal 2.
How is Portal 2 there as better than Portal 1? :?:

Not underworld but Ultima 1/2/3 were released on Apple II, Commodore 64, DOS, FM Towns, Macintosh and Windows
TEbXqQd.jpg

Not underworld but Ultima 1/2/3 were released on Apple II, Commodore 64, DOS, FM Towns, Macintosh and Windows
Ultima VI released on Amiga. Not entirely sure about the previous ones, IV and V might have released also; they were out on the Atari ST at least.

I bought VI and couldn't play it because it ran like dogshit on a 7MHz 68k... So, so stupidly slow. Probably didn't use the blitter at all for animations and scrolling, as PCs didn't have such luxuries back then.

Years later after I had bought a PC, I bought Ultima VIII as well. Couldn't play that one either, both because it was ludicrously slow, and also monstrously buggy. Game just didn't work at all TBH.

Editors for digital publications have clearly stated that these "list of X best things on Y subject" are made mostly to attract ad revenue.
It makes sense. If you don't know what to play you'll google "best PC games to play right now". If you want a new camera under $300 and know nothing about cameras you start by googling "best camera under $300", even if you end up doing a bit more research afterwards.
These articles are great for revenue from search engines.

As for the list itself, I guess the list seems complete enough but I don't really see the reasoning behind each title's positioning. It's definitely not sales because Star Craft and Skyrim aren't even in the top 20. It's not any kind of metascore either.
Who or how does someone get to decide that an indie visual novel is better than Skyrim or Bayonetta?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back