3440x1440

Freesync 2 is out now and imposing low frame rate compensation plus hdr. So you're gonna basically get freesync proper as the first version wasn't so good and also hdr. afaik there are no 10 bit ten panels so 120hz is probably not gonna be possible with hdr but I guess well see what they can come up with.

I've been trying to wait for oled but it doesn't seem like it's gonna happen any time soon, which is odd as they can apparently make them any size from very large to very small but the middle area is a problem for some reason.....

LG manufacturing capacity while improving is still pretty limited. They are currently the only large panel OLED manufacturer, AFAIK. They've slowly started to sell panels to other manufacturers, but the quantity is limited which means they are currently only going into premium designs with high margins.

Samsung may or may not re-enter that market in the future but are currently only focusing on small panel OLED production.

Regards,
SB

Mobile and desktop OLED have very-very different TFT backplane tech, so different, it should make a world of difference , but somehow consumers are comfortable with the funny thought that OLED is supposed to be the end of it all when it comes to displays .

I just bought a Samsung CF791 and love it... mostly. Like others in the thread, 38" Ultrawide sounds pretty fantastic too, but we really need to get beyond 109 PPI (3440x1440 in the case of this 34"). I don't need 4K PPI levels per se (160 PPI or more), but something that's higher than just 109 PPI. Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything inbetween 3440x1440 and what would be the 4K equivalent of like 5160x2160 for Ultrawides.

If anyone knows, would the latest Displayport standard (1.4) be capable of 5160x2160 at 144hz at 10bits w/HDR, or even 120/100hz?

For curiosity, here is what I tossed up on Reddit for review of the Samsung CF791:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/64ghux/comparing_the_34_cf791_ultrawide_va_monitor_vs/

PROS

• Wider screen and its curve is totally immersive, even for basic desktop needs, but especially for games. Nearly same real estate as a 32" 16:9 monitor, but at a better aspect ratio for gaming, movies, and even general productivity. 100% win here.
    • Important addition worth it's only line - Ultrawide is a bit more friendly to one's neck when viewing edges. Up/down motions are just not as comfortable as side-to-side.
  • While certainly not a con but not necessarily a pro either, 1440p is "good" for a monitor of this size. I most definitely wouldn't want a 1080p at 34", or worse, and could certainly appreciate an even higher resolution someday.

• 100hz is noticeable from 60hz, but not as "magically omg awesome, why didn't I get this years ago" as you would expect. It's definitely a bonus, but not a deal breaker compared to other important features like contrast and text clarity.

• If you don't have another monitor to directly contrast with this monitor's matte finish to another monitor that has a glossy finish, then color range, overall contrast, and saturation, is all really good. See more below in the CON section though...

• Overall response time seems fine, though I'm no expert here on what it should be at. I didn't notice any overdrive problems, probably because it doesn't overdrive to 100hz, it's native, so that's a nice new bonus for these high refresh rate monitors.

• Back light bleeding is minimal, excellent quality on the panel here. No dead pixels found so far.

• Sturdy base, nice tilt and height adjustment options.

• Setup and adjusting is simple and easy to do. Looks fantastic just sitting there on your desk... a great $950 paperweight at the very least.

• So far no other weird issues like random audio buzzing that can't be pinned down, random blanking out of the screen or other distortion, etc. Basic functioning is rock solid.

• Again, games look fantastic (Civ VI, Stellaris, Witcher 3, League of Legends, Unreal Tournament Black, GTA V, Shroud of the Avatar, etc). No problems in all the major games I tried, even a few older ones (5+ years old) and you just feel so much more immersed... but that's the 21:9 Ultrawide 34" talking, not necessarily the rest of the panel's qualities.
CONS

• Text is not that sharp, somewhat disappointed here. Like others with this monitor, I had to specifically turn down text sharpness to 20-40 to get it to not look distorted, but paid the price with blurriness instead. My Monoprice IPS does much better and its not even high DPI that a 4K would provide (probably because it's an IPS I guess).

• While this monitor claims great contrast ratios and blacker blacks with deeper colors, the Monoprice again seems to have more solid colors in some ways. I suspect it might be the matte finish on this CF791 vs the Monoprice's glossy finish, but in any case it's a real shame. Even after calibration, it just doesn't quite get nice and smooth and deep of colors as the Monoprice. This is weird... because it really should. If it really is the finish, then to hell with the occasional glare from a lamp, I want that glossy finish please...

• There are some minor flickering issues with Freesync (swapped out video cards temporarily for this testing), and also with just moving around windows in general on rare occasions. Definitely not a deal breaker, but it's weird when it does happen.

• Viewing angles are "ok", and the color shift doesn't really bother me all that much. I don't move around for it to be a concern, but it is there to a small degree for any friends crowding around the monitor with you.

• Having a higher resolution would help with text clarity and immersion, even if pushing 100hz would be strained. I feel resolution is really important here, along with a good contrast. The resolution is right at the "ok" stage if you're not that picky, but I'm picky... so could use another boost beyond 1440p.

• Somewhat expensive, at least given the above CONS
By far the best feature is simply the widescreen curve, but there are other 34" monitors out there of a similar design in this way. I'm wondering how they compare, now that I've had a chance to test this one out against my much older and more basic 27" monitor.

• 100hz is noticeable from 60hz, but not as "magically omg awesome, why didn't I get this years ago" as you would expect

This illustrates , the sample&hold display's inability to succesfully convey a ~70% motion resolution increase.
(It would be the same with OLED or DLP, but not plasma or CRT)

I'm actually looking at a curved monitor ATM https://www.monitornerds.com/philips-bdm4037uw-review-40-inch-4k-curved-monitor-for-multimedia/
I do have my doubts about the benefit of the curve, I can sort of see it with a single 21:9 monitor, but I dont want to downgrade from 16:9 to 21:9
Also I have another 28" 4k monitor which I will use alongside it (28" is too small for 4k, but I use the second monitor all the time and dont think I could go back to a single monitor unless it was 40" & 8k or something)
Has anyone used a curved monitor next to a flat monitor, and how was it?

The thing to remember is that on a sample&hold display, without sufficient frame-rate, the displays native resolution is static resolution not dynamic. Eg. it's applicable to photo editing, not games.

Actually FullHD with s&h needs stable 240fps and 4k needs 480fps (2 ms per frame). Current sample&hold displays can't even pack sufficient brightness into a 4ms time-slice.

I personally have the LG 34UM88C (Flat) and mostly use it only for dev/phot/modeling/browsing etc... I'm probably growing old because I simply can't stand playing games on this mostly because shit like cut scenes always being in 16:9 which is distracting as hell. I have 2 Panasonic Plasma TVs and frankly no PC LCD display can't handle a candle compared to them for gaming even if the resolution is higher.

Each to their own of course but this is crazy talk to me. I have a half decent 50" plasma myself but my monitor isn't a patch on yours being an oldish 27" 1080p ASUS VG248QE. That said, I still prefer gaming on the monitor for pretty much every genre because of the perceived screen size difference. I guess it depends on room setup but sitting 3 foot away from my 27" monitor vs 10 foot from my 50" TV leaves me squinting at the TV. Way too small. For that reason alone I'd struggle to ever go back to TV gaming in my current room (even though the PC is set to mirror between both screens permanently).

I'd absolutely love a monitor like yours, I actually force my 1080p monitor to run at 1920x810 with borders in those games that it works in just to simulate the (IMO far superior) 21:9 aspect ratio. Unfortunately there is no such thing as a modern 21:9 ratio 3D Vision monitor with all the other features like high resolution and HDR that I'd like. So I'm pretty much stuck with what I have now as 3D Vision itself (when it occasionally works) blows everything else away hands down. When it eventually stops working altogether I'll reluctantly upgrade.

LG 43UD79-B: 42.5-inch 4K IPS with FreeSync @ $745 only in Japan
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11310/lg-43ud79-b-launched?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

medium_inscreen.jpg

The Freesync range on that model seems embarrassingly ridiculous (AT says 56-61Hz). Hopefully this can be tweaked through the drivers, but at launch the Freesync is nearly useless compared to regular VSync.

I get the 60Hz limit because at 4K few panels can do more, but I don't get why manufacturers are using such high frequencies for the bottom Freesync values.

Quick question for those owning a relatively brand new monitor: Any issues to report?

I'm asking this because my year old LG 34UM88C-P just craped on me 48h ago for no apparent reason and after looking around on the interwebs and based on what LG told me; this is really uncommon (as a matter of fact my monitor is actually the first 34UM88C-P model that's being repaired here in France since this particular SKU has been sold..granted they don't sell a whole of them but this is what came up in their database when they created my support ticket).

At first glance it looks like a capacitor may have died: the unit no longer turns on and the power LED only flashes for a second when the power cable is plugged into it. But their was no power surge lightning or any wonky stuff going on before my beloved precious went to heaven. I only turned it off 30mins & took a shower and when I wanted to turn it back on it was already at the pearly gates. Also all new monitors now have an external power supply which reduces even more the chances of having blown capacitors issues (And yeah I checked with a multimeter.. the power supply is fine). The only thing that I had modified lately was turning the power ON/OFF "ding!" sound 4 days ago in the OSD menu..so maybe there's a SW bug which is causing this. Unfortunately there's no way to physically hard-reset the device just to be sure... LG is sending UPS to pick it up on Monday but the "awesome" news is that the turn-around time to get it repaired and sent back to me is ONE F0@ING MONTH from the day they receive it..so I'm out of monitor for my home desktop PC until October (yeah sold or gave all my older ones...)

PS:
US costumers are getting majorly screwed with the manufacturer warranty because here it's thankfully 2 years for this product while if you buy it in the US it's only one year..wth!

My Sony died after about 3 years, so I replaced it
One day about a year later the thought occurred to me "I think sony have a 5 year warranty" (I checked they did) but I've lost the receipt and didn't know when I bought it
plus I would need proof of purchase so i was screwed.
Then one day i was in town near the shop I bought it from so I thought it's worth a try
so i went in explained the situation and asked if they had a record of my purchase. they did so i got a print out.
turn out I bought the monitor 4 years, 11 months and 3 weeks ago, phoned Sony with 1 week to go on my 5 year warranty
they picked it up and returned it 6 days later fixed.

My Sony died after about 3 years, so I replaced it
One day about a year later the thought occurred to me "I think sony have a 5 year warranty" (I checked they did) but I've lost the receipt and didn't know when I bought it
plus I would need proof of purchase so i was screwed.
Then one day i was in town near the shop I bought it from so I thought it's worth a try
so i went in explained the situation and asked if they had a record of my purchase. they did so i got a print out.
turn out I bought the monitor 4 years, 11 months and 3 weeks ago, phoned Sony with 1 week to go on my 5 year warranty
they picked it up and returned it 6 days later fixed.
This still boggles my mind. Why would LG take 1 month to fix mine given that it would probably take 30mins max for the technician to fix it & that the repair center isn't even abroad (takes one day to get there by truck/car). I'm seriously annoyed by this. For exemple I've sent several phones to get fixed by Nokia/Microsoft in the past years and the turn-around time was less than a week even though the thing had to be sent by plane to another part of Europe...
LG actually sends a technician to your home/workplace for everything (TVs, home appliance, what-ever) but their phones and monitors have to be sent back to them. ergh!

Regarding the warranty; I was 99% that I was screwed cause I only had 1 year because I always browsed LG's US website and It's only when I finally went to the European website to get their support center phone number that I noticed that it was 2 years here.

I went from a three monitor portrait arrangement (3600x1920) to a single 32" Benq @ 3840x2160. I'd have preferred a larger monitor, but couldn't find one with an RGB subpixel space which I needed because I share the monitor between a MacBook Pro (2015 before they were trash) and my gaming rig.

Anyway, point is I love not having bezels. Gaming was good with the three monitors but I always did the bezel correction so it was like gaming through a multi pane window with blind spots. Sure you don't have to do bezel correction but then the overall image is dorked.

What subpixels did the larger monitors have, and in what way would that affect your Mac?

So the arrangement of subpixels is determined by orientation of the panel. An RGB subpixel becomes BGR simply by rotating it 180 degrees. When some panels are built it's simply easier to mount, power and connect them in the upside down (BGR) orientation.

Why it matters is that macos doesn't handle BGR when it comes to font smoothing. As a result fonts look like crap on Macs with BGR monitors.

Windows handles BGR. Funking Linux handles BGR. Macos doesn't.

If it weren't for a few key macos-only apps and the need to collaborate in ms office I'd go back to being all Linux for work. Windows is OK but the lack of ssh, scp, etc. for remote access is a bit frustrating.

That and I confess to preferring the Apple ecosystem. Every time I got Android+win 7 doing all the cool stuff like desktop sms, Google would break something. I also like taking calls on my MBP when I've mistakenly left my phone in there other room.

Back