Console OS memory footprints *spawn

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
And then you'd have the likes of Nintendo reserving 12 GB for the OS... :runaway:

Nintendo's OS are the least bloated.
Pretty sure the switch only uses 800 MBs. Ps4 is the most bloated at 3.5 GB.

I was referring to their history. They used 50% of all memory for the OS on WiiU.

This is from the Infamous second son GDC presentation :

spslide1.png

Apparently there's 500 MB's of additional "flexible" memory available, that may or may not be available depending on the situation? Not sure how that works.

I was referring to their history. They used 50% of all memory for the OS on WiiU.

Wii U could be even less bloated than Switch when you consider the latter doesn't have a web browser. For a console comparable in raw flops to an xbox 360 with a weaker cpu, 1GB for games was a surplus.

Last edited:
Apparently there's 500 MB's of additional "flexible" memory available, that may or may not be available depending on the situation? Not sure how that works.

IIRC, They have virtual swap memory that gets paged in and out from disk as needed.

This is from the Infamous second son GDC presentation :

Wii U could be even less bloated than Switch when you consider the latter doesn't have a web browser. For a console comparable in raw flops to an xbox 360 with a weaker cpu, 1GB for games was a surplus.
Always available to the application from the beginning to the end. It's just that the app doesn't know all the aspects of that memory contrary to the 'direct' memory where the details of allocation is know, like most probably the direct address.

This is very old info actually (2013), source: Sony.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory

• "Direct Memory" is memory allocated under the traditional video game model, so the game controls all aspects of its allocation
  • "Flexible Memory" is memory managed by the PS4 OS on the game's behalf, and allows games to use some very nice FreeBSD virtual memory functionality. However this memory is 100 per cent the game's memory, and is never used by the OS, and as it is the game's memory it should be easy for every developer to use it.

IIRC, They have virtual swap memory that gets paged in and out from disk as needed.

So it's like having 5GB available but 500 of that is just much slower.

Now that I look at that slide again it looks like they used that flexible memory (misspelled it :p) and had some memory left unused.

So it's like having 5GB available but 500 of that is just much slower.

Now that I look at that slide again it looks like they used that flexible memory (misspelled it :p) and had some memory left unused.
You are mistaken it's going through the OS allocation (like a PC game), it's not slower.

Just drop it, this is the prediction thread. This question was resolved years ago.

I remember back when Neogaf was insistent near/after launch PS4 used only a couple hundred MB for the OS or something :LOL:

http://cdn3-www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2014/04/spslide1.png

There was at least second source for the 4.5 GB thing back then, KZ SF presentation

slide-6-638.jpg

May have been more offhand I cant recall.

Anyways DF spoke on it

I cant really imagine Sony allowing a deficit to Xbox One here TBH. And big devs like EA have never mentioned it.

Seems weird why Guerrilla and Sucker Punch arbitrarily used 4.5GB back then only for no reason though. So it must have been a thing at some point.

Last edited:
The only way 4.5 GB total makes sense to me is if those usage graphs are from early dev-kits that were outfitted with 4GB memory mixed with the 512Meg Paged Memory.

yes, the main-memory reserve on current consoles is ridicules.
Last gen, the xbox 360 OS reserved ~15MB (at the end, as far as I remember). Now the OS in xbox one reserves 3GB ... well actuallay something with 2GB because you can run apps simultaneously with a game. But they threw out the "Snap" mode so there is no longer any app visible and at the same time a game. they could now swap out a game from memory (partly) if an app runs and therefore give the game more memory when it runs exclusively.
Well there is a small catch because of music-apps.
But what the hell does MS (or Sony) make with at least 2GB of main memory?
Yes, they need some of it for the real time recording. But .... well last gen it was 15-30mb why this really, really big jump?

I remember back when Neogaf was insistent near/after launch PS4 used only a couple hundred MB for the OS or something :LOL:

http://cdn3-www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2014/04/spslide1.png

There was at least second source for the 4.5 GB thing back then, KZ SF presentation

slide-6-638.jpg

May have been more offhand I cant recall.

Anyways DF spoke on it

I cant really imagine Sony allowing a deficit to Xbox One here TBH. And big devs like EA have never mentioned it.

Seems weird why Guerrilla and Sucker Punch arbitrarily used 4.5GB back then only for no reason though. So it must have been a thing at some point.
Did they ? Or for a reason they were only talking about direct memory in the infamous 4.5 GB mention in one slide ?

BECAUSE THEY DID USE MORE THAN 4.5 GB FOR KZSF:

1536 + 128 + 3072 = 4736 MB

Which is 4.625 GB

Presentations about memory map would probably be about their own allocator or manual mapping, which is only relevant for the direct 4.5. The 0.5 is going through the BSD allocator so it's not managed or mapped directly.

You are mistaken it's going through the OS allocation (like a PC game), it's not slower.

Just drop it, this is the prediction thread. This question was resolved years ago.

He said virtual, when someone says virtual I think "slow". But even if it was slower it's not like every process needs the same speed.

Anyways yeah I see the PS4 has 5gb for games. Thought it was odd I never heard anything about a disparity from 3rd party devs.

Back