The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

For Dothraki, read Mongols, I suppose.

They seemed to do pretty well against armoured opponents with shields, warhorses, bows, crossbows and the like. Invaded well into Eastern Europe and defeated many armies with 'knights' and men at arms due to superior tactics. I suppose the major difference is that the Dothraki seem to be a bit dim, to say the least, with a tactic based on 'charge at the enemy'. The Mongols, on the other hand, had great tactics and training and were very smart cookies.

Another difference is that, somehow, the various powers of Westeros manage to have vast numbers of well-armed and armoured professional soldiers whereas the reality of medieval times is that the majority of the population were working in the fields to feed everyone. Any fighting by relied on mobilised militia to a degree whereas the Mongols were pretty much professional at the pillaging and invasion lark.

As an aside, it's amazing how these fantasy kingdoms are so efficient at farming and feeding themselves, isn't it? Never quite worked out how 'The North' in Westeros of the TV show became such a power as there is hardly anybody living there and no indication how they are going to survive the long winters as they don't appear to have much in the way of food stored up!

Yeah the Mongols are very interesting. They dominated because they invented stirrups which allowed them to stand while riding and shoot both forwards and backwards.

So they'd charge towards enemy forces, shooting ahead and then retreated before the enemy could engage these mounted archers but while retreating, shot backwards and took out more casualties.

Dothraki archers have a unique style, squatting on top of the saddles with both feet on the saddle. It looks cool but probably not that effective.

I guess the show is saying that Dothraki are far better riders than anyone else and more lethal with those scythes and slings than armored knights using lances and infantry using pikes to knock the mounted Dothraki off their horses.

Anyways, they come from the same continent as the Golden Compass sell swords that Cersei is hiring. So wouldn't they have met in battle at some point?

I don't understand why the Iron Bank would back Cersei. They got their gold but they must have heard the Lannister army got destroyed by a single dragon and now Kings Landing has no food.

Well, the Dothrati in GoT don't exactly behave like masterful battlefield tacticians. And at least one theory on why the Mongols left the occident suggests that unlike the surrounding country sides, the heavily fortified castle structures actually gave 'em a lot of trouble. The Dothraki also face an entirely different enemy than the Mongols did because apparently there are indeed a shit ton of trained soldiers in Westeros. I simply think it's hard to believe that a riding horde could easily take on a trained army employing sound battlefield tactics.

I liked how the show did bring up the food issue the North is facing, by the way.

There aren't really that many soldiers in GOT, at least not in the books; but the show seems to fit with that. Cersei talks about hiring 20.000 men as a biiiig difference. Considering that even King's Landing is just about a million people and that's probably more than the entire population of the North (one of the seven kingdoms), I'd say the entire population of Westeros is about 10 million or so. Fielding less than 100.000 soldiers altogether would mean that less than a percent is capable of fighting which sounds more or less realistic to me. Also, the entire number of the Unsullied are something like 6000? And the Knights of the Vale helping out Jon in the battle of the bastards were like a thousand or two.
Also remember that there was a point in Robb's campaign where it became a real issue that a lot of his soldiers wanted to go home to attend to their last harvest. So even in that 100.000 a lot were just part time soldiers. And I imagine most of them only have a sword or spear and some leather 'armor' at most. On the other hand the only well-equipped armies seemed to belong to the Lannisters and the Tarlys, the richest of the big families.

As for what the Night King wants... I'll start from a distance :)

So the most discussed plot turn was obviously Jon's heritage, as it has been set up from the start in the books; the internet wasn't a big thing at that time and so Martin was not thinking about a hive mind that could come up with the right conclusion. But because of this he decided to be very careful about everything else he planned. Still, there are a few things that stick out to me.

There is no explanation yet for the way seasons work in this world, but the long winters seem to be connected to the White Walkers in some magical way. Their recent re-emergence could also be linked to the rise of magic through the followers of the Lord of Light; and also to the rebirth of dragons.

On the other hand, the fifth book shows that the Maesters are actually pretty interested in magic, despite not training anyone in it. They actually dispatch a high ranking one to visit Dany when they get word about the dragons. And, most importantly, they seem to be actively engaged in killing off magic altogether. They also have an agent in basically every big town, and they always send out white ravens to signal the beginning of winter.

So the Night King might actually be acting out of self preservation, and his main goal could be to stop the Maesters, who's Citadel is quite far to the south on Oldtown, safest place from the undead.

Another likely conclusion is that Dany's dragons are not welcome by the Maesters either. The last episode actually took care to mention that the Targaryen dragons died out when they were forced to live in the Dragonpit, and it'd make sense to think that the Maesters had a hand in that too. The final outcome of the story could very likely involve the death of the remaining dragons and possibly even Dany and Jon as well. They mess up the balance of power, and with magic they constrain the development of technology (in agriculture as well!) and generally only cause trouble for the average people.
Oh and the Iron Throne should be destroyed as well :)

Hmm, the show gave no indication that the Maesters at the Citadel were going to lobby to kill off the dragons. They noted that Sam's father had been defeated and burned to death by a dragon but that's about it.

So maybe they won't go in that direction, unless Cersei has a plan to take out the dragons after all. Nothing was stopping the dragons on Essos, the same place as the Golden Compass.

Realistically, Dany should have been able to dispatch Cersei pretty quickly, just burn down the Red Keep and there wouldn't be the concern about collateral damage that Tyrion and Jon warned against causing.

But I think the show wants to keep her as one of the villains all the way through the end. Even if she shouldn't be the threat that the NK is, it's Cersei that they've been building up for 7-8 years as one of the primary villains in the story, so I think they didn't want to dispatch her this season.

Well well well. I just got back from the imax where I saw the Inhumans.

I simply cannot believe this was made, and that it was shown on imax screens. Literally the worst thing I've ever seen and I just can't get over how this was actually approved by Marvel.

Absolute piss take.

I'm looking forward to watching Narcos over this holiday weekend. Im looking more forward to that show than starting The Defenders.

I don't understand why the Iron Bank would back Cersei. They got their gold but they must have heard the Lannister army got destroyed by a single dragon and now Kings Landing has no food.
It's a bank, they'd play both sides. Assume they "own" the mercenaries. Bank funds Cersei, Cersei funds mercs, mercs repay bank. In that cycle someone else will need a loan that works to their benefit. Their capital always cycles back to them with interest.

The only question over Cersei's survivability is how precisely she buys it, and which episode it happens in.

Considering she's just about 100% pure concentrated evil at this stage there's no way she'll still be alive at the end of the series. I'd say, "If I'm wrong, I'll...", but I won't be wrong. :p

One thing to remember is her forecasted fate from Maggy the Frog (witch) is to be killed by valonqar (little brother, assuming Septa didn't lie or mistranslate) -- "And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.”

No idea if it means Tyrion or Jamie (the younger twin) if going by literal meaning. Or it could mean someone's little brother ... It could possibly be The Hound (Sandor Clegane) who is little brother of The Mountain (Gregor Clegane).

Yes, Valonqar is Valyrian. If it's gender neutral, that really opens things up. "Little sister" would be fitting for Ayra ... double so if she's wearing Jamie's face.

No idea if it means Tyrion or Jamie (the younger twin) if going by literal meaning.
Can a golden hand wrap around a neck?

A Mountain and Hound matchup would seem fitting, but I'm unsure the hound would be up to it following that battle.

Yes, Valonqar is Valyrian. If it's gender neutral, that really opens things up. "Little sister" would be fitting for Ayra ... double so if she's wearing Jamie's face.
Could be Littlefinger's face trying to maneuver, but then she likely knows he was killed. Surely all these memes of Arya hitting on Sansa aren't wrong.

The only question over Cersei's survivability is how precisely she buys it, and which episode it happens in.

Considering she's just about 100% pure concentrated evil at this stage there's no way she'll still be alive at the end of the series. I'd say, "If I'm wrong, I'll...", but I won't be wrong. :p
She could wed the Night King.

I'd be little bit surprised if Jamie doesn't end Cersei. He is the kingslayer and did it, because the mad king went too far on the dark side. I can see that same scenario happening again.

I'm looking forward to watching Narcos over this holiday weekend. Im looking more forward to that show than starting The Defenders.

I'm 7 episodes in and it's a lot better than Defenders ever was. Still, it's not quite up there with the first 2 seasons. The Cali cartel guys simply aren't as bat shit insane as Pablo Escobar was. It's impossible to follow up on a guy like that I guess.

Heard the other day that S2 of The Expanse is finally coming to netflix in europe. Can't quite remember when exactly, october maybe? *shrug*

Anyway, effing hell! Making us wait that long is effing insulting, not to mention unbelievably stupid. Just imagine how many europeans will have torrented the series instead of watching it legally because of this monstrous delay.

First world problems sure are a real pain in the rear end, eh? :p

^Another one in my list. I want to watch is sooooooo bad.

By the way, has anyone watched Reign? I love period movies, etc., but I think this TV show is so crappy.........

Heard the other day that S2 of The Expanse is finally coming to netflix in europe. Can't quite remember when exactly, october maybe? *shrug*

Anyway, effing hell! Making us wait that long is effing insulting, not to mention unbelievably stupid. Just imagine how many europeans will have torrented the series instead of watching it legally because of this monstrous delay.

First world problems sure are a real pain in the rear end, eh? :p
Expanse seems to still be warming up, so you aren't missing much until they've filmed more. It's more or less still character development. I miss the old shows with 20+ episode seasons.

Back