Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only that, it looks like it also has to process the latest YouTube's codec. That may be the bigger roadblock.

Anyway, if they cannot enable playback directly on TV's SoC, I hope that YT HDR will come to PS4 Pro this year.

Samsung TVs have had YouTube HDR support since the end of last year and aren't Android based.

YouTube HDR requires VP9.p2 and above.

Last edited:
I'm still hoping that DV or HDR10+ will eventually arrive on XE90 and other "lower spec" Sony TVs.

I'm not expecting that HDR10+ will get wide adoption anytime soon [both in TVs and in content].

My understanding is that it won't come to TVs using the lower X1 SoC and that only X1 Extremes will get DV updates at some point, but I guess we can hold out hope?

dobwal said:
Samsung TVs have had YouTube HDR support since the end of last year and aren't Android based.

YouTube HDR requires VP9.p2 and above.

Hmm.. Can you explain that a bit? I thought VP9 was a codec and that p2 came with Nougat, thus enabling YouTube HDR?

My understanding is that it won't come to TVs using the lower X1 SoC and that only X1 Extremes will get DV updates at some point, but I guess we can hold out hope?

Hmm.. Can you explain that a bit? I thought VP9 was a codec and that p2 came with Nougat, thus enabling YouTube HDR?

VP9.2 is required - 9 wont cut it. The 2017 LG oleds all support the codec too. The problem with the LGs is the image is completely washed out - looks like the black levels are raised and the colors are under saturated. I have compared to viewing HDR demo clips that i've downloaded to USB and the youtube feeds are terrible looking overall. I'm pretty sure the TV is decoding the image in a pass through mode - skipping most image processing - causing the washed out picture. This terrible image quality in HDR can be recreated by setting any HDMI input to PC. The only benefit to doing this is the low lag. Hopefully LG issues a firmware update for this one, but I'm not holding my breath. Early adoption sucks!

Profile 2 supports 10-12 bit color depth (required for HDR), while prior profiles are 8 bit based.

If your TV's hardware doesn't support decoding VP9 profile 2 it doesn't matter how up to date the YouTube app is on your TV.

Last edited:
Because of these requirements, I hope that YT HDR will at least come to PS4 Pro.

Sony TV with the X1 or X1 Extreme should all be hardware capable of running VP9.2. So I am not sure why the YT app is not displaying HDR unless the android OS has not been updated to supply the codec. I guess I will find out more Wed when I get my X900. I have a shield and W10 HTPC so I can run some different configs and see whats up.

With my luck, I will flash the x900 to an unsupported android version and brick it. lol

I'm waiting for my 49XE9005 to arrive, and I suppose I will be more than satisfied with HDR10 for quite a while... but having YT HDR is something that will be a big bonus [on TV, Pro or PC].

Even SDR will look drastically better than what I'm currently getting from my 6 year old midrange Samsung.

Even SDR will look drastically better than what I'm currently getting from my 6 year old midrange Samsung.
My set isn't 6 years old yet IIRC - I think I bought it around autumn 2012 - and it was sort of upper-midrange I think, Samsung's 6 series when it maxed out at 8, or something like that. It's a really good set... Super thin, good picture quality really, I can't fault it in any way other than the bloody awful menu system and the shitty remote with way too many buttons on it. I even like the frame interpolation it does, even though it gets a bit wonky around any static graphics in a moving scene (like subtitles). You only notice it if you look for it though.

Having been inspired by this thread, I went to a big-box retailer and looked at TV sets today. Checked out LG, Sony, a little Philips and Samsung. Sony's high-end LCD looked fecking amazing, but the 55" unit costs about €2000 in local currency, give or take... *gulp*

What's up with so many TVs coming in piss-ugly extruded aluminium frames these days? The joint-fitting on both LG and Samsung units left A LOT to be desired - clearly nowhere near the manufacturing standard or quality control of Apple's, despite being their high-end sets costing big $$$! Thankfully, the Sony unit had a matte-black one-piece frame with no visible seams.

ME WANTS.

I don't think I can wing it tho... :(

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-qled-tv-xbox-4k-gaming-experience/
RIDGEFIELD PARK, NJ – September 1, 2017 – Samsung Electronics America Inc., the global leader in television for over 11 years, today announced an exclusive U.S. marketing and retail partnership with Xbox to utilize Samsung’s flagship premium lineup of QLED TVs as the official 4K TV partner for the highly-anticipated Xbox One X. The partnership kicked off at E3 2017 in June as attendees experienced, for the first time ever, true, breathtaking 4K HDR gaming on Xbox One X and Samsung QLED TVs. Gamers will be able to experience the power of Xbox One X on QLED 4K TVs at various Xbox and Samsung marketing and retail activations throughout the US. Consumers will also see a custom Samsung TV spot showcasing Xbox One X and QLED together that will run nationally around the launch of Xbox One X this fall.

My set isn't 6 years old yet IIRC - I think I bought it around autumn 2012 - and it was sort of upper-midrange I think, Samsung's 6 series when it maxed out at 8, or something like that. It's a really good set... Super thin, good picture quality really, I can't fault it in any way other than the bloody awful menu system and the shitty remote with way too many buttons on it. I even like the frame interpolation it does, even though it gets a bit wonky around any static graphics in a moving scene (like subtitles). You only notice it if you look for it though.

Having been inspired by this thread, I went to a big-box retailer and looked at TV sets today. Checked out LG, Sony, a little Philips and Samsung. Sony's high-end LCD looked fecking amazing, but the 55" unit costs about €2000 in local currency, give or take... *gulp*

What's up with so many TVs coming in piss-ugly extruded aluminium frames these days? The joint-fitting on both LG and Samsung units left A LOT to be desired - clearly nowhere near the manufacturing standard or quality control of Apple's, despite being their high-end sets costing big $$$! Thankfully, the Sony unit had a matte-black one-piece frame with no visible seams.

ME WANTS.

I don't think I can wing it tho... :(

Wait it out. Holiday sales or the transition to 2018 models will create better pricing.

What's up with so many TVs coming in piss-ugly extruded aluminium frames these days? The joint-fitting on both LG and Samsung units left A LOT to be desired - clearly nowhere near the manufacturing standard or quality control of Apple's, despite being their high-end sets costing big $$$! Thankfully, the Sony unit had a matte-black one-piece frame with no visible seams

Yeah, Sony is the weirdest one in TV design. Their high-end TVs constantly looks elegant, sleek, classy, minimal.

Their picture quality is an ass for its price tho. At least here in Indonesia, comparable sets from Samsung or LG usually goes around 100-300 USD cheaper than Sony.

But if to have the money, top of the line Sony HDR TV paired with their best sound bar will be my target.

I got burned with entry level LG 4k HDR TV and I don't want that to happen again.

I think the Sony A1E costs almost 50% more than the LG B7/C7, which has equal image quality.

Well I can see how the non-LG OLEDs will always be more expensive than the LG ones since Sony/Panasonic etc are actually getting their screens from LG in the first place, as they're the only ones making them. And OLED is still very much a premium product anyway.

The Sony LCD line are pretty nicely priced for their image quality.

As a low end buyer I can say there's no Sony set on my radar.

Of course I'm schlumming it, and so I'm looking at "vizio" or "TCL" that many here turn their nose at.

But at least the Samsung and LG low end sets occasionally creep into my peripheral vision (as I've mentioned, they usually just end up having inferior specs at a similar price to the ultra value brands, but on the flip side you get the big brand "quality" and mainstream support, in theory). Sony simply doesn't seem to have a low end that I've seen. I think to get an affordable Sony I'd have to look at their 49". And now way I'm doing that when my current set sits like 10 feet away and is 55". So that means 55 and above is the only thing I'll accept since going smaller would be disastrous.

But I'm (was?) looking to spend 600 on a TV not 1500, so I'm not even in the conversation for a lot of you.

But hey I'm not where the profit is. So I'm sure Sony is not even interested in me. Just like there's a million cheap Android phones but allegedly most of the smartphone profit goes to Apple...

As a low end buyer I can say there's no Sony set on my radar.

Of course I'm schlumming it, and so I'm looking at "vizio" or "TCL" that many here turn their nose at.

But at least the Samsung and LG low end sets occasionally creep into my peripheral vision (as I've mentioned, they usually just end up having inferior specs at a similar price to the ultra value brands, but on the flip side you get the big brand "quality" and mainstream support, in theory). Sony simply doesn't seem to have a low end that I've seen. I think to get an affordable Sony I'd have to look at their 49". And now way I'm doing that when my current set sits like 10 feet away and is 55". So that means 55 and above is the only thing I'll accept since going smaller would be disastrous.

But I'm (was?) looking to spend 600 on a TV not 1500, so I'm not even in the conversation for a lot of you.

But hey I'm not where the profit is. So I'm sure Sony is not even interested in me. Just like there's a million cheap Android phones but allegedly most of the smartphone profit goes to Apple...
Keep fighting the good fight Rangers. I'm right there with you with my budget. Bought a 55" LG 1080p set in April 2015 for about $600 from Walmart. Next TV won't be until probably 2019. It would have to be a minimum of 65" & 4K/HDR capable. Your posts have been very helpful for me. So keep them coming.

Tommy McClain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back