DeltaChrome review at hexus

They mixed up the antialiasing modes between Radeon and DC in the table. And what do they mean with "Floating-point precision" in this case?

For what it's worth the NV36 (in fact the entire NV3x line) isn't also capable of 8x MSAA :LOL:

Anyway if S3 irons out it's OGL driver and considering it's very low power consumption I could see an excellent contender for the mobile/laptop market in DeltaChrome.

Are these newer drivers from S3 than former (p-)reviews used or the same?

I guess it's with a newer driver, since they say that X2 benchmark runs properly besides some flickering - previous WHQL driver had millions of dots (white and black) on the screen and missing spaceships.

Humm...
Is it just me, or do those 3DMark03 fillrate graphs show it to be more like a 4x2 rather than an 8x1 design?

Imo S3 is looking better than I expected. it is not complete home run, but it is definately pretty good entrace card for company that has been out as long as S3 has been. Let's hope that they can get it to shops soon, so it won't be crushed so much by next generation ATI and nVidia cards. if they can get a foot hold with these, there's great possibility to expect more in the future.

looking good, but get those damn things in shops. ;)

McElvis said:
Humm...
Is it just me, or do those 3DMark03 fillrate graphs show it to be more like a 4x2 rather than an 8x1 design?

it's because it is bandwith limited. You get similar results with a 9500pro which is also 8*1 but only with a 128bit memory interface

Now people can see why in my FP16 thread I acknowledged S3 as the 3rd player and ignored XGI.

I think the two reviews say it all really.

I don't know what others had to say about S3, yet there for sure seems to be potential in DeltaChrome but there's a but as always...

DeltaChrome is late (not a little but a lot) and there doesn't seem to be any next generation in the pipe prior to 2005, according to S3 themselves.

IMHO DC would have been in a way better position if it would have been released in H1 2003 and one step further a PS/VS3.0 based design for H2 2004 the latest.

Right now it makes a very decent showcasing, but would I think right now to purchase a mainstream card, DC would have a hard time convincing me over a 5700 or 9600 based sollution.

radar1200gs said:
Now people can see why in my FP16 thread I acknowledged S3 as the 3rd player and ignored XGI.

ah yes, the visionary of the industry!

Ailuros said:
I don't know what others had to say about S3, yet there for sure seems to be potential in DeltaChrome but there's a but as always...

DeltaChrome is late (not a little but a lot) and there doesn't seem to be any next generation in the pipe prior to 2005, according to S3 themselves.

IMHO DC would have been in a way better position if it would have been released in H1 2003 and one step further a PS/VS3.0 based design for H2 2004 the latest.

Right now it makes a very decent showcasing, but would I think right now to purchase a mainstream card, DC would have a hard time convincing me over a 5700 or 9600 based sollution.

The lateness is a bit of a shame, however for the market segment it will service I doubt it will mean much.

I wouldn't purcase DC over a 5700 either, however in OEM form it should give the 5200 a decent run for its money.

Althornin said:
radar1200gs said:

ah yes, the visionary of the industry!
oh Al, you make me laugh so hard.

Ailuros said:

I was under the impression that the DC was intended to be significantly cheaper than the 5700 or 9600 line of cards. The cheapest street price for the 5700 I can find on pricewatch is 146 dollars. I had thought MSRP for the DC S8 was intended to be around 120-130 dollars, and if that's the case the street price will likely be down around 110. To you it might be worth the extra 30-40 dollars for an nVidia or ATI part, but if you're ordering in bulk, (as systems manufacturer, for instance), that extra money can add up quickly.

Furthermore, it does appear that S3 does have something else up their sleeve that might fill out their line even more. I don't think the specifications on the F1 and F1 Nitro have been released yet, (correct me if I'm wrong). If they turn out to be 256 bit parts, and are still relatively cheap, they could give ATI and nVidia a decent run in the Upper-Mid Range.

Really? They're still listed on the S3 website. Could you give any more specific details as to when was that announced, (or rumoured)

The F1 has been scraped as it would't be competitive with current high end cards. Besides by the time any Deltachrome hits retail, we will all already be awing at the R420 and NV40

Do you know what it's specs were, or have any documentation that it was indeed scrapped? I haven't been able to find any of it anywhere.

Back