What was your first post on B3D?

mrcorbo

Foo Fighter
Veteran
In @digitalwanderer 's "What brought you to B3D?" thread, someone had their first post quoted and it made me go back and find my first post. It was in the console forum on the subject of Nvidia's involvement in development of the PS3 (back before we knew exactly what that was going to be). It was a bit off the mark. :LOL:

Well, if you look at the architecture if the PS2's Emotion Engine vs. The XBOX GPU (or any PC GPU for that matter), you can see where an enhanced version of the EE could benefit from the inclusion of Nvidia tech. The architecture of the PS2 is such that it has massive memory bandwidth available but only to a relatively small ammount of memory. This means that you need to limit the ammount of data you have to handle at any one time. This requires a developer to code around this limitation by shuffling the data around to different parts of the system (wherever some free memory can be found). Obviously, this makes the PS2 more difficult to optimize for. This also contibutes to one of the main reasons that PS2 games are, in general, graphically inferior to XBOX games. The PS2 just can't accomodate as high quality textures as the XBOX can.

So suppose that Sony decides it wants to address this limitation, but still build on the strengths of the EE design. They decide that rather than do their own R&D to develop a crossbar memory interface to GDDR4 memory they tap Nvidia who is going to be working on this anyway for its GPU's. Now Sony can possibly still include embedded DRAM like on the original EE, yet still have access to a larger memory pool when required.

This is just one possible way that Sony could be utilizing Nvidia tech in their PS3 GPU. Obviously, we don't know what the extent of the cooperation is, but Nvidia do have a lot of talented engineers. It may just be that Sony felt that 2 heads are better than 1 and the combnation of their engineers with Nvidia's could create a superior end product than what they could create on their own.

I thought it might be fun to have a thread where we dig up either our literal first post, or our first substantive post and see what we were thinking about at the time.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/members/digitalwanderer.327/

How do you find your first post?

1. Move the mouse pointer over your user name at the top of the page.
  2. Click on "Your Content".
  3. The search caps out at 999 results, so go to the last page and scroll to the bottom.
  4. Click on "Find older posts".
  5. Repeat 3 & 4 for as far back as it will let you go.

Posts exists for B3D going back to its origins in 2002.

Did the search, I wasn't saying anything valuable back in my first archived post.

Actually, B3D was around for a couple years (at least) prior to 2002. In 2002 the site crashed and the database was lost.
I remember when it was black and orange. I can't remember if I joined at the time, but I thought I definitely joined before 2004 (what my profile says). Maybe I was a lurker.

Most of "Feb 2002" posters are transplants from the old forum. I think my per-conversion first post was either in "22-bit" color discussion spawned by the the article on the site or V3-3500 Vs Hercules "Super" TNT2 Ultra (probably the first factory-CO card ever).

My first post appears to be : (sorry the IMG links no longer work)
The Gods - They Have Spoken.....
Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Davros, Feb 27, 2009.

My Holy Crusade To Assemble the Terrabyte of Gaming Goodness is complete...

I've been waiting for this since that fateful day when i was in the cornfield and I heard a
voice wisper
"if you build it they will install"
Completing my holy crusade i have suffered much pain, been driven to the edge of insanity and
suffered more mental torture than any man should have to endure, but then I stopped playing
Battlecruiser Millenium and worked toward completion of the Terrabyte Of Gaming Goodness
(slight pause to allow b3d readers to bow in reverence)

Many moons of searching those dark desolate places known commonly as pc games sections were
not in vain as many illusive slices have been unearthed during my crusade.
And finally the gaming gods contacted me by a burning bush er... parting the red sea er.. by
killing every first born child in the land of the Pharaohs
Ok, ok they send me an error message telling me my quest was complete, but thats no less
impressive.

Genuine Message from the Gods....

I knew the gaming gods were watching and would no doubt bestow upon me teh Mad Sk1llz and
allround L337ness
Ive bought a new 1tb drive and an external caddy and the contents of the sacred Terrabyte
will be copied upon to it and never overwritten (so it is written so it shall be done).

Is it not (to quote the three wise men at top gear) a proud and noble thing

Maybe I will build a shrine so that B3D readers can make a pilgrimage to worship at the Altar
of Gamming Goodness, kneel before it and bathe in the majesty
Perhaps it will make the blind see again or cure baldness(you reading this mr Reynolds) or
even increase thy length and girth. who can fortell the true power of the Goodness.

Hail the Goodness................

Last edited:
My first post was about Nvidia meeting dx9 compliance with fp32 on the fx... sad but true.

Copy failed and I am not clicking through that again.

Wasn't there a forerunner site to B3D as well? I have a feeling Kristof ran one - Dimension3D, perhaps? Or did that have no linkage to what became B3D?

Back