Console Exclusives: Significance and Impact *spinoff*

Globalisateur

Globby
Legend
Veteran
Supporter
If you're in the market for a console, yes. If your idea of high end gaming is 144 Hz blah-blah, you'll be PC only and clearly not a potential customer for XBOX or PS. If it makes you happier, append on '-er' on the end of 'high'.

Edit : Even then, if 6 TF doesn't count as high-end, that means a £400 1070 GTX isn't a high-end GPU. So yeah, XBox One X is high-end.
If you want to play Destiny or GTA5 (or most AAA titles that only run on consoles at 30fps) at 60fps, you won't even need a 1070. A 1060 (or 580) will be enough. It's not only about GPU Tflops, it's mainly about CPU.

And if you want to play the best looking consoles games, then Pro is the console to own with it's exclusives (Horizon, GTS, God of War 4, Uncharted games, TLOU2...).

If you want to play Destiny or GTA5 (or most AAA titles that only run on consoles at 30fps) at 60fps, you won't even need a 1070. A 1060 (or 580) will be enough. It's not only about GPU Tflops, it's mainly about CPU.

And if you want to play the best looking consoles games, then Pro is the console to own with it's exclusives (Horizon, GTS, God of War 4, Uncharted games, TLOU2...).
I find it interesting how art and technical mastery can often "out perform" games that run on brute force performance.
Uncharted 4 for example does things that no extra resolution, or higher res textures or higher framerate are enough to compensate for the care, attention to detail, and specific rendering features the devs put into that game. PS4 certainly has no punch for TR on ultra settings, at 60fps and/or 4k. But even with those features, Uncharted 4 manages to impress more

Naturally, fall back to the same old arguments.

From all the banter of AAA Exclusives that Sony has, only 2 of them are even interesting to some, namely Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone. The rest might as well not even exist.

Actually the point was, the X needs proper AAA exclusives
The point is more that the thread is a question of what people here are buying, yet it's been turned into another PS4 trumpeting session somewhat, much to AzBat's chagrin. Look at the voting - there's Globalisateur saying there's no point to XBOX as PC has high end due to CPU and PS4Pro has best looking console games because of exclusives, with XBOX serving no purpose, yet nearly 40% of respondents here are wanting an XBOX! Are they all chumps? Do we need Globby to repeat again how PS4Pro is better so they mend their foolish ways?

And yes, that doesn't mean XBOX is going to sell to 40% of the current install base or anything. What it shows is when asked if you want to buy an XBOX or not, some will, some won't, and some will write about how much better PS4 is. ;)

We all know bloody list wars is going to come up next! :rolleyes:

I agree with Shifty. It happens so much that well, I'm used to it. So I'll flip the discussion as to why us morons may want to own an Xbox.

Should you not care about exclusives, XBOX is now the best play. Imo this is before Scorpio, as far as I'm concerned the Xbox platform is way ahead of PS, with Scorpio there is no debate.

Why does it matter? Because exclusives still need to keep scoring big. All franchises suffer from fatigue. Uncharted lost legacy debuted at 1/2 UC4. Still a good number, but half. The title following with a different lead of characters and a new story: 1/2 population drop off. Great graphics too! Great everything, LL reviews are great and it's a standalone game. Explain the 50% drop off. Following off the heels of UC4 I don't expect the fall off to be that big.

Consider that.

And the list of PS exclusives that I keep seeing pop up are, of course, mainly single player cinematic experiences. If I don't care for that, then who cares.

What happens when people tire of your exclusives? And it will happen.

3rd party games continue to be the bulk of all sales.

Should we take a look at the most played titles in the world generating the most revenue? None of them exclusive, except well to PC most of them. Graphics? Nah.

Very soon we will have mouse and keyboard support on XBO. I am counting the days down to seeing those mouse and keyboard games to show up.

Last edited:
"Are you purchasing an XBox One?"
"PlayStation 4 is so frickin' cool!"

:-|
I have read people justifications of why they pre-ordered it. My post was just an explanation of why I won't do it. Ok sorry my post was incomplete, it should have been :

I won't pre-order it because I could play some current and future AAA titles at 60fps with a modest PC (when both XBX and Pro won't) and that if I wanted the best looking console games (better looking and more available games even), I'd better buy a Pro.

The point is more that the thread is a question of what people here are buying, yet it's been turned into another PS4 trumpeting session somewhat, much to AzBat's chagrin. Look at the voting - there's Globalisateur saying there's no point to XBOX as PC has high end due to CPU and PS4Pro has best looking console games because of exclusives, with XBOX serving no purpose, yet nearly 40% of respondents here are wanting an XBOX! Are they all chumps? Do we need Globby to repeat again how PS4Pro is better so they mend their foolish ways?

And yes, that doesn't mean XBOX is going to sell to 40% of the current install base or anything. What it shows is when asked if you want to buy an XBOX or not, some will, some won't, and some will write about how much better PS4 is. ;)

We all know bloody list wars is going to come up next! :rolleyes:
The sample here is very small to give any proper statistical conclusion. Nobody assumed/implied a bad purchase. Any purchase, depending on what you want may be good or bad. This can apply to PS4Pro as well.
You read too much into the post. I could have just as well not mentioned a PS4 and simply said that great art, engines and game design by talented developers can produce better results than a simple brute force upgrade.
I dont downplay anyone's decision in this forum to buy one. It does provide benefits. You assumed more than what I implied.

From all the banter of AAA Exclusives that Sony has, only 2 of them are even interesting to some, namely Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone. The rest might as well not even exist.

I mean that's all relative, I find the depth in Japanese exclusive games very important for example. I've enjoyed Nioh, Gravity Rush 2, Nier Automata this year already and Sony/Playstation played a big part in those games existing in the first place (Persona 5 is another game I'm looking forward to play this year). Of course, If PS exclusives don't interest you that's perfectly fine too, you should probably not buy a playstation.

Last edited:
I mean that's all relative, I find the depth in Japanese exclusive games very important for example. I've enjoyed Nioh, Gravity Rush 2, Nier Automata this year already and Sony/Playstation played a big part in those games existing in the first place (Persona 5 is another game I'm looking forward to play this year). Of course, If PS exclusives don't interest you that's perfectly fine too, you should probably not buy a playstation.
Well it's always been this though.
The only reason people aren't raving about MS exclusives is because the 3rd party market has largely been present in the same genres of games.

Dark Souls used to be special, but we're now seeing a lot more games with Souls like features. If you've got something great, other people will come along.

Actually the point was, the X needs proper AAA exclusives

Xbox has lots of exclusives, especially if you say console exclusive, which makes sense since MS wants to help out it's store/windows 10 by putting those games there as well. Either way buyers of those games are supporting MS. I personally have Halo 5, Gear 4, Halo MCC, Gears Ultimate edition, lotsa Halo/Gears goodness. Not everything is just the last 6 months. Although MS did have Halo Wars 2 this year it just got zero attention. I should probably try that one I enjoyed the first, the middling reviews put me off but I also know better than to trust reviews...Cuphead and some other stuff is coming, as well as timed exclusive of PUBG which is the biggest game around right now, and Path of Exile which my brother has been big into on PC for years.

Ok this is a little cherry picking, but the NPD best selling games of the past 12 months (as of July) doesn't include any exclusives except for a Nintendo 1st party (which is the only game in town on their hardware).

• Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  • Battlefield 1
  • NBA 2K17
  • Madden NFL 17
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  • FIFA 17
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • For Honor
Read more at http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/08/17/july-2017-npd/#156OXW6FaLcie9ZD.99

I guess if you include "Japanesey" games PS will always have a numbers edge in exclusives list wars though. If you like those you probably wont want Xbox.

Sure I WISH there was some awesome Xbox One X exclusive to debut with the system, but ah well. It's nice to want things, as Shane Bettenhausen used to say on 1up yours podcast.

Anyways as to explaining my vote in the OP, I preorderd 2 Scorpio editions. I guess just to be safe and maybe flip 1. But, I already knew this is going to be a very hard product to flip because the price will have to be 700+ just to make decent profit. So I'm definitely out on that. But, I'm really planning on actually buying the non-scorpio edition, I dont like the tacked on green lettering. So these preorders will be canceled most likely. They're just for safety's sake.

I can get 15% discount so the box will be effectively ~425 for me, then I plan to craiglist my Xbox One S for maybe 120-150 and count that towards the X1X. So the effective price of the X1X will be quite manageable. I still have my 360 I guess for posterity's sake, but I see very little reason to keep an Xbox One around if you have an Xbox One X.

Anyways I'm really looking forward to it. Something like Battlefront 1 just proves the Xbox One, while it can be a very nice and powerful box, is power deficient. That game is blurry enough to ruin the effect on X1. I'm so looking forward to cranking up Battlefront 2 looking it's best on X1X. I wasn't (so far) able to swing a TV upgrade from 55 to 65" like I wanted, but at least I've got a nominal 4K HDR set of the same size now. So I'm ready, I guess you could say.

Xbox has lots of exclusives, especially if you say console exclusive, which makes sense since MS wants to help out it's store/windows 10 by putting those games there as well. Either way buyers of those games are supporting MS. I personally have Halo 5, Gear 4, Halo MCC, Gears Ultimate edition, lotsa Halo/Gears goodness. Not everything is just the last 6 months. Although MS did have Halo Wars 2 this year it just got zero attention. I should probably try that one I enjoyed the first, the middling reviews put me off but I also know better than to trust reviews...Cuphead and some other stuff is coming, as well as timed exclusive of PUBG which is the biggest game around right now, and Path of Exile which my brother has been big into on PC for years.
MS has released very few exclusives in 2017. There has been a dry spell for a while.
Their biggest 'exclusive' this year (which is most likely a timed exclusive) has a well established install base on PC already in PUBG.

Ok this is a little cherry picking, but the NPD best selling games of the past 12 months (as of July) doesn't include any exclusives except for a Nintendo 1st party (which is the only game in town on their hardware).

• Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  • Battlefield 1
  • NBA 2K17
  • Madden NFL 17
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  • FIFA 17
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • For Honor
Read more at http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/08/17/july-2017-npd/#156OXW6FaLcie9ZD.99

I guess if you include "Japanesey" games PS will always have a numbers edge in exclusives list wars though. If you like those you probably wont want Xbox.

Sure I WISH there was some awesome Xbox One X exclusive to debut with the system, but ah well. It's nice to want things, as Shane Bettenhausen used to say on 1up yours podcast.
Hard to crack the top 10 software sales of the past 12 months when you're limited to 1 platform. PS4 has had at least 7 exclusives make the NPD charts in 2017 alone (soon to be 8 with Lost Legacy), and 4 of those were 'Japanesey" games. MS doesn't have a single exclusive that has charted in 2017. With exception of possibly Horizon ZD, none of those games were necessarily system sellers, but it gives shoppers a reason to pick one system over the other.

It's not a coincidence that Sony is up YoY in the US after having their strongest Q1/Q2 software lineup, while MS is down YoY.
Sure you can chalk some of it up to XBX, but it wouldn't have made much of a difference. PS4 has outsold XB1 in 2017 by a pretty wide margin, and the situation is much worse outside of the US.

MS can only ride the XBX wave for so long. They're going to need some compelling exclusives and competitive pricing with XB1S to keep any momentum post XBX launch.

/OT

Naturally, fall back to the same old arguments.

Speaking of falling back to old arguments "not interesting to me" is just a way of saying "not on my platform of choice".

I
Should you not care about exclusives, XBOX is now the best play. Imo this is before Scorpio, as far as I'm concerned the Xbox platform is way ahead of PS, with Scorpio there is no debate.

What happens when people tire of your exclusives? And it will happen..

What an incredibly weak argument. People buy consoles to play games, you discount actual games and say Xbox is the "best play" (WTF does that mean?)

Ok, ignoring games, Xbox is the best ever.

Yes, if you are a typical fat American gamer and play COD and Madden, get a XBX. Oh wait, the typical fat American Madden player has a 42" 1080P TV, scratch that, get a XB1.

(*I'm a fat American, just not a lowest common denominator franchise player)

Last edited:
Speaking of falling back to old arguments "not interesting to me" is just a way of saying "not on my platform of choice".

What an incredibly weak argument. People buy consoles to play games, you discount actual games and say Xbox is the "best play" (WTF does that mean?)

Ok, ignoring games, Xbox is the best ever.

Yes, if you are a typical fat American gamer and play COD and Madden, get a XBX. Oh wait, the typical fat American Madden player has a 42" 1080P TV, scratch that, get a XB1.

(*I'm a fat American, just not a lowest common denominator franchise player)
Lol goodness drjay.

People do buy consoles to play games. But the meat of any library is still 3rd party. If you have no care for exclusives then the comparison point strictly looks at platform.

Discount actual games ? Common man, that's what this entire thread has been about. The entire argument of "I don't want Xbox because it has no games" is a complete discount of its entire library.

If it's not that, then please enlighten me what this thread is about.

That probably needs clarifying. Excluding exclusives, PS plays the games better, so what makes the Xbox platform ahead of PS, let alone way ahead? I can think of plenty of reasons to say PS is ahead of XB, but only maybe online service and Windows cross-title play as reasons to prefer XB.

"I want to buy a Xbox X because..."

- Ok, you can continue posting here.

"I don't want to buy a Xbox X because..."

- Get out of this thread.

That probably needs clarifying. Excluding exclusives, PS plays the games better, so what makes the Xbox platform ahead of PS, let alone way ahead? I can think of plenty of reasons to say PS is ahead of XB, but only maybe online service and Windows cross-title play as reasons to prefer XB.
Yea that's more or less what I was referring to:
  • Online service (stability, reliability, online storage)
  • subscription services (GWG (4 titles for 1 piece of hardware each month), Game Pass, EA Access)
  • media playback (TV/UHD)
  • cross play (Nintendo/PC)
  • cross ownership
  • Backwards compatibility
  • Better/Custom controllers/headsets
With Scorpio they top it off with best performance in games, which matters to a lot of people more than the list above.

Here's the thing for me, and I'm not trying to troll or anything. But this argument of no games keeps coming back by the very same people who, honestly, are likely to have more hours played in Destiny than all the exclusives they've played on PS4. Probably in the magnitude of 300-1000 hours worth of Destiny.

And for all this talk of how earth shattering PS exclusives are, and how diverse their library is, they can't stop playing Halo 2.0.
Or if they aren't playing Halo 2.0, they're playing GTA 5.

So all I'm saying is, how does one really rank what is better, the games that get the most hours played or games or some other metric?
And should it matter how large and diverse that library is, if folks are unloading 3000+ hours into a single title?

People talk about system sellers: there was only 2 this gen, and it's name was Destiny and GTA V, and they happen to sell on both.
People left PC to play these games because they weren't available, and now that they are, I'm not so sure anymore.

There may be nothing wrong with MS' strategy when it comes to libraries. They are looking to build that 'Destiny', 'GTA' title. If 1 game is all people want to play, just keep supporting it, there's nothing wrong with that strategy. But people keep trying to tell me that I should be in love with all these single player experiences, while they are playing Destiny with their buddies online.

tldr; wouldn't it be a flawed argument about how important exclusives are if the most played games on PS4 so happened to be exactly the same as XBO (the console with no games) ?

Your post wasn't clearly 'why I'm not getting an XBOX'. Had it been phrased as such, it'd have been fine. I got halfway to creating a poll for why people weren't buying XBOX, and then realised I really wasn't that interested. ;)

Last edited:
So all I'm saying is, how does one really rank what is better, the games that get the most hours played or games or some other metric?
And should it matter how large and diverse that library is, if folks are unloading 3000+ hours into a single title?
It does because those other games are still played. If you've a choice between Netflix for £8 a month with all the popular movies, and Amazon Prime for £8 a month with all the popular movies and a bunch of esoteric movies no-one else likes but you love even if you only watch a few a year, which service is better?

XBox gives 3040 hours of Destiny. PS4 gives 3000 hours of Destiny in better quality and 40 hours of exclusives like TLOU/blah blah.

To many, myself included, that's by far more important than the rather limited differences (by my values) that you've listed. It also means more regards PR and brand strength. PS4 gets more diverse coverage because there are more games being talked about. This really ties in more with the MS Game Strategy discussion though.

It does because those other games are still played. If you've a choice between Netflix for £8 a month with all the popular movies, and Amazon Prime for £8 a month with all the popular movies and a bunch of esoteric movies no-one else likes but you love even if you only watch a few a year, which service is better?

XBox gives 3040 hours of Destiny. PS4 gives 3000 hours of Destiny in better quality and 40 hours of exclusives like TLOU/blah blah.

To many, myself included, that's by far more important than the rather limited differences (by my values) that you've listed. It also means more regards PR and brand strength. PS4 gets more diverse coverage because there are more games being talked about. This really ties in more with the MS Game Strategy discussion though.
We're on the list wars thread, I'm not even sure what we're supposed to be talking about.

Xbox gives 3000 hours of Destiny and a set of different exclusives, exclusives from, my eye, they are trying to mimic the success of GTA/Destiny/large community titles (with failure to a degree).
I totally get your POV, I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy that exclusives are the games, and 3rd party is 'no games'. Seems to me that exclusives are a garnish, and 3rd party games are the meat and potatoes.

One of these days, should MS actually succeed to build a game that has a huge community and large playing appeal like Destiny, or GTA, that is actually exclusive, that would be more significant imo, than a bunch of exclusives for a sake of a list war. When people try to tell me that they'll only eat at 1 Michelin star restaurants only, that just screams a level of elitism to me and not much else. And I come away reading these list wars as exactly that.

"Only exclusives can do this, only exclusives can do that", I look at the top 10 played games today and I'm just shaking my head. The only thing exclusives do is limit another player base from playing.

Back