• Yes, Already Pre-Ordered Project Scorpio Edition

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • No.

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Yes, Will Pre-Order the Plebeian Edition when it's available

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Yes, eventually but won't PreOrder it.

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters
Honest question, why do you have Wii and WiiU, doesn't the WiiU have complete BC for Wii games? Can't it handle GC too?
It doesn't do gamecube, the wii also accepts my wavebird controllers directly without a shitty adapter box. Even for wii games I prefer the wii than the wiiu because of that. And they quickly discontinued that controller which is the best controller for Super Smash. I wanted four new ones from ebay, the pre owned are usually worn out (sometimes repairable), new in box prices are ridiculous. Even used they are $40 each.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Nintendo-Wavebird-DOLABPL-Gamepad/102379721

Got my pre order in. If I hadn't bought a new TV this year, I would have held off. However, now that I have, 4K + HDR are a must so the x1x timing is great and I can start buying 4K movies finally.

HDR on PC is a mess and display selection is terrible.

I'll still use Pc for dota but any multi platform gaming is shifting back to the console. 500 for x1x is also cheaper and less hassle than having to refresh my PC setup to handle 4K and HDR.

I expect by the time next gen rolls around I'll be at a crossroads between PC and consoles again. I don't have brand loyalty so I do what's best for use cases.

I have a Scorpio edition pre ordered but not sure exactly what that looks like with its paint job, perhaps a regular one would be better for me. Regardless it's all in the air as I cannot really afford or justify the cost especially so close to Christmas... But I did buy a 4k TV earlier in preparation.

Edit: where is I am scalping it like a ticket tout? eBay is going to be riddled with these in the not too distant future.

Up till now I've been indecisive about it but after seeing a pretty decent upgrade in ROTTR over the Pro I'm beginning to have faith in the value worth, at least in the multiplatform, tho I would like to see more major examples of this. I would most likely get one at launch after trading in the S which should soften the blow, guess I'll be buying all future multiplats on the 1X by then. More native 4k HDR titles the merrier for my Z9D I guess.

How the article describes the paint scheme:

Unlike the standard SKU, which is only offered in a simple textured matte black at this time, this version of the console features a gradual gradient into a dark gray. The protruding gray gradient is comprised of small painted circles and without any top cooling vents of the top of the device, this smoothly transitions across the console's body. This asymmetry to the console's design is a discreet touch but adds a unique styling to the body without compromising its sleek aesthetic.

I'm going for the standard edition. Would of went for the limited if it were just matte black with "Scorpio Edition" etched into the console. But the green lettering is kind of "meh" and I don't care for the black to gray transition.

The thing came a bit way too late. With no full platform exclusives, if someone has already a PS4 and a good enough PC it almost completely eliminates any point of owning one.
Also MS barely showed any strong persuasion with titles that showcase the game changing performance.
Games show significant performance upgrades but they arent the "immersive" experiences not possible before that MS was trying to convince in the original reveal messaging,
For example Rise of Tomb Raider even in Ultra doesnt impress or excite as much as Uncharted 4. It is still the same game it was before.
Most exclusives happen to be indie games that barely scratch the surface.
The messaging is almost as confusing as it was back when the One was a TV viewing with Games device. Only this time you ve got Huge performance with not so exciting and unique games that show it of.
It mostly solves the issue of "lower performance than competition" than anything else.

The thing came a bit way too late. With no full platform exclusives, if someone has already a PS4 and a good enough PC it almost completely eliminates any point of owning one.
That's a sub-set of a sub-set. What about:

Have a PS4 but no good PC
Have an XB1 but on good PC
Don't have a console yet

There's certainly a potential market of tens of millions of people who haven't access to Windows games who'd find XB1X the most cost effective way to get that high-end gaming experience.

I'm very attracted to the scorpio from a pure gadgetry viewpoint, plus it plays 4k BR discs - which PS4Pro dropped the ball on by not including support for; unbelievable, since Sony owns a fricken movie studio even! - however I don't know if I'll ever really NEED one. My plan is to buy the new 4K/HDR-compatible Apple TV unveiling in a few weeks (internet leaks... don't you love 'em so say), and I'll probably never game on a console again in my life (even though xbone controllers are the best ever.) Buying a scorpio just because it's a neat thing would be a monumental waste.

So I'm torn, lol. Maybe next gen, when those filthy jaguar CPU cores have been put out to pasture...

Don't have a console yet

There's certainly a potential market of tens of millions of people who haven't access to Windows games who'd find XB1X the most cost effective way to get that high-end gaming experience.
I didnt say there will be no potential buyers. Those that will eventually buy it are a lot less.
A PS4 owner might or might not, most chances are he might not.
A PS4 Pro owner partly covered his 4k need already and is less likely to buy one. Some of these owners probably already upgraded from PS4. Upgrading from Pro to X means upgrading for the second time
Someone who already has an XB1 is already less likely to have one. Some of them already upgraded once to One S.
The PS4 is the fastest selling console by a lot, 4 years into its lifespan. It reached the houses of a lot of consumers. Not everyone wants 2 consoles in the house. People and their friends are on Playstation and play multiplayer. Are they willing to sacrifice playing online with friends by moving to another platform? Or are they all willing to pay 500 to keep playing online? This is probably one of the reasons why Sony is NOT allowing console cross play
The premium gamers usually invest on PCs and have already done so.
Those that dont have a console are more likely to purchase one.

Don't have a console yet

Additionally.
  • Have a console, would like to game on PC (due to higher graphical settings, performance and/or resolution), but can't afford a gaming PC.
  • Have a PC, but it's not capable of gaming and either can't have a discrete GPU installed (laptop or AIO) or don't have the knowledge or desire to install a discrete GPU.
It's easy for people that have a gaming capable PC or can easily afford a gaming capable PC to dismiss that idea, as are many on this forum. But there are people that operate on fairly slim budgets whether due to family (easy to justify a 4k TV, much less so a gaming capable PC to the wife or whoever controls the family budget), school, just finished school and working to pay off loans, etc.

It just adds another step between budget consoles and higher priced gaming capable PCs. It's an option.

For myself, I have to admit that after all the troubles I've had over the past year with the GTX 1070, if the XBO-X included official KB/M support in all games as well as indications that KB/M centric games were coming to the XBO-X (in particular RTS), and that all games could be configured for 60 FPS mode, I'd likely be quite happy to switch from gaming on my PC to gaming on an XBO-X.

It's a list of things that are unlikely to happen (especially all games having a 60 FPS mode), but if it did. I'd probably drop the PC in a heartbeat.

Regards,
SB

Additionally.
  • Have a console, would like to game on PC (due to higher graphical settings, performance and/or resolution), but can't afford a gaming PC.
  • Have a PC, but it's not capable of gaming and either can't have a discrete GPU installed (laptop or AIO) or don't have the knowledge or desire to install a discrete GPU.
It's easy for people that have a gaming capable PC or can easily afford a gaming capable PC to dismiss that idea, as are many on this forum. But there are people that operate on fairly slim budgets whether due to family (easy to justify a 4k TV, much less so a gaming capable PC to the wife or whoever controls the family budget), school, just finished school and working to pay off loans, etc.

It just adds another step between budget consoles and higher priced gaming capable PCs. It's an option.

For myself, I have to admit that after all the troubles I've had over the past year with the GTX 1070, if the XBO-X included official KB/M support in all games as well as indications that KB/M centric games were coming to the XBO-X (in particular RTS), and that all games could be configured for 60 FPS mode, I'd likely be quite happy to switch from gaming on my PC to gaming on an XBO-X.

It's a list of things that are unlikely to happen (especially all games having a 60 FPS mode), but if it did. I'd probably drop the PC in a heartbeat.

Regards,
SB
lol we're getting old...

Don't have a console yet

30fps on most AAA titles is high-end gaming experience ?

If it's solid 30 fps (whereas a low or even mid-spec PC might fluctuate a lot), and while gaming with a joypad it's not an awful experience.

Joypad aiming slows down a game significantly, making it way less twitch-reliant. Also, third-person games are more common on consoles, which also don't mind the slower framerate as much, because you can't get pixel-perfect aiming from a 3rd person perspective anyway.

I think regardless of how high-end the hardware reaches on consoles; developers looking to push for those graphical boundaries will push for 30fps.

Thus I'm unsure if your comment is fair as hardware is fixed; leaving developers with the choice of frame rate. And graphics continue to be a big part of selling a game, thus I expect to see more 30fps games.

Horizon Zero Dawn is 30fps for the most part, is one of the best looking games on PS4-Pro (or any platform for that matter), and I consider it high-end gaming. Sure 60fps would be nice, but I wouldn't belittle 4K/30fps games as not being "high-end" gaming. To each his own, I guess...

Also MS barely showed any strong persuasion with titles that showcase the game changing performance.
Games show significant performance upgrades but they arent the "immersive" experiences not possible before that MS was trying to convince in the original reveal messaging,
For example Rise of Tomb Raider even in Ultra doesnt impress or excite as much as Uncharted 4. It is still the same game it was before.
Most exclusives happen to be indie games that barely scratch the surface.
The messaging is almost as confusing as it was back when the One was a TV viewing with Games device. Only this time you ve got Huge performance with not so exciting and unique games that show it of.
It mostly solves the issue of "lower performance than competition" than anything else.

You act like if MS and Sony had mandated Xbox OG and PS2 support up until 2008-2009 for all Xbox and Sony titles, virtually a very small segment of gamers would have purchased a 360 or PS3 during that time.

The high end PC gpu market and its annually upgrade schedule is almost totally reliant on performance improvement. Hardly anybody is buying a GTX 1080 to be able to play future games that don't support a 980. There is nothing that says MS and Sony can't use the same motivation to drive mid gen console sales.

I'm undecided at this point. I was super excited for it and even set money aside to purchase. But the closer it comes to launch the more interest I'm losing. The main interest for me is Forza and with that now being on PC I'm not sure I see the point any more. The main reason is that my ps4 and pro are good enough for now. If MS were able to get its shit together and release more compelling 1st party content I'd reconsider.

Back