Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazon UK had stock for quite a while but now it's reading:

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

This is the message they usually use for limited run products, rather than the usual:

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when item will be back in stock.
Conspiracy theorists on your marks.... Three... Two... One... GO! :runaway:

redoing the ROP math let me know if I got this right
RGBA8 1172 Mhz * 32 * 4 bytes = 150 GB/s (rop bound)
RGBA16F 1172 Mhz * 32 * 8 bytes = 300 GB/s (~rop bound)
RGBA32F 1172 Mhz * 32 * 16 bytes = 600 GB/s (bandwidth bound)

what happens during compatibility mode? exactly 1/2 ROPs?

RGBA8 1172 Mhz * 16 * 4 bytes = 75 GB/s (rop bound)
RGBA16F 1172 Mhz * 16 * 8 bytes = 150 GB/s (rop bound)
RGBA32F 1172 Mhz * 16 * 16 bytes = 300 GB/s (rop bound)

I don't recall what this means entirely. So it's bottleneck is around 64 bit textures as I understand it? For 32 bit textures it will always be bottleneck? And no one does 128 bit textures right?

And I recall that the move to Compute shaders makes this more or less moot?

Last edited:
Amazon UK had stock for quite a while but now it's reading:

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

This is the message they usually use for limited run products, rather than the usual:

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when item will be back in stock.
Conspiracy theorists on your marks.... Three... Two... One... GO! :runaway:

Pretty sure it's about Scorpio Edition...

Looks like most preorders are now sold out? But seems still up at target.

Still I expected it to sell out in minutes (rather than days) cus, post NES classic, doesn't everything?

Salt grain etc

Jez Cordon - Been told #Xbox One X preorders are ahead of expectations by a wide margin. #XboxOne

Some places sold out more than others. But as I understand it, each channel was given a set allotment and told to not oversell that allotment as the LE variant would stay limited and the expectation is that on launch day, only standard edition would see shelves. LE would be pre-order folks only.

So those LE pre-orders will end eventually. There will be a lot of cancelled orders I think. And then some people will try to buy it. Etc. They will likely let it sit as unavailable for a long time and let the orders "settle".

And then there will be a standard 1X pre-order to open following afterwards.

If I were to guess, Project Scorpio edition is probably 100-150K in size. Things sold out way too quickly for it to be much larger. Which means their allotments were quite tiny

Edit: I am wrong. There are 6100 Gamestops in the world. With stores holding 4-14 allotments each and online stock. I think it's safe to say they have over 200K pre-orders globally.

Last edited:
Some places sold out more than others. But as I understand it, each channel was given a set allotment and told to not oversell that allotment as the LE variant would stay limited and the expectation is that on launch day, only standard edition would see shelves. LE would be pre-order folks only.

So those LE pre-orders will end eventually. There will be a lot of cancelled orders I think. And then some people will try to buy it. Etc. They will likely let it sit as unavailable for a long time and let the orders "settle".

And then there will be a standard 1X pre-order to open following afterwards.

If I were to guess, Project Scorpio edition is probably 100-150K in size. Things sold out way too quickly for it to be much larger. Which means their allotments were quite tiny

Edit: I am wrong. There are 6100 Gamestops in the world. With stores holding 4-14 allotments each and online stock. I think it's safe to say they have over 200K pre-orders globally.

Safe to say what? Your assumptions of demand is driving your predictions. Amazon literally sold out in minutes, yet Scorpio appears at #66 in its 2017 best sellers list. The only console skus that currently appear ahead of it on that list is the PS4 slim uncharted sku and two switch skus.

Safe to say what? Your assumptions of demand is driving your predictions. Amazon literally sold out in minutes, yet Scorpio appears at #66 in its 2017 best sellers list. The only console skus that currently appear ahead of it on that list is the PS4 slim uncharted sku and two switch skus.
That globally, the unit count was fairly limited as they communicated. 200K is not s large number by any means, I think 4Pro did 200K on launch month in the US alone.

at first I was thinking it was even more limited, < 150K units. But doing some store searches etc, I think the availability is a little higher.

I estimate about 20-50K unit allotment per channel? Target, Walmart, GameStop, Amazon, MS, Best Buy, and a handful of others.

That globally, the unit count was fairly limited as they communicated. 200K is not s large number by any means, I think 4Pro did 200K on launch month in the US alone.

at first I was thinking it was even more limited, < 150K units. But doing some store searches etc, I think the availability is a little higher.

"Fairly limited" is vague. A 200K global allotment doesn't seem like enough to drive the Xbox one x to the 3rd and 4th best selling console skus on amazon in the UK and US for all of 2017. Unless Amazon got an outsized lot of Xs but historically moves a pitiful number of consoles during the first 8 months of the year.

"Fairly limited" is vague. A 200K global allotment doesn't seem like enough to drive the Xbox one x to the 3rd and 4th best selling console skus on amazon in the UK and US for all of 2017. Unless Amazon got an outsized lot of Xs but historically moves a pitiful number of consoles during the first 8 months of the year.
Hmm. I didn't consider that, at first I didn't understand your point, but I think I get it now, I'm assuming 200K globally is too low.
But it's weird because...
6100 stores of Game/Stopwith say 6 units each would land about 36K units plus some online stock. ~50k?

That's sort of what brought me to this conclusion at first. Amazon CA sold out under 5 minutes. I was literally there when it switched to pre-order, but I failed to pre-order because I wasn't sure if they were selling SE or standard. Then when I decided to order anyway and figure it out later, it was toast.

Seasonally, I guess Black Friday and holidays are the biggest movers, you're right that it would have to be super pitiful for 50K in 1 month to make it to the top 3/4.

Something is wrong with my guess.

Some of the information released via twitter and gaf was:

A) each vendor was given an (expected) allotment to last 1 week of sales.

B) Scorpio edition will never be sold on retail shelves. They do not want to repeat day one editions of XBO found in stores 5 years later

C) all pre-orders are Scorpio edition, standard edition pre-order is TBD.

Eurogamer hands on with Scorpio a Gamescom
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-hands-on-with-xbox-one-x-at-gamescom-2017
Article is too long to quote, so he talks about games that didn't show up on the stream, but were enhanced and ready to play on real hardware. I wish they showcased these instead of what they did.
The roll call of new games is impressive: Gears of War 4, Halo Wars 2, Titanfall 2, Quantum Break, Killer Instinct, Path of Exile, World of Tanks and F1 2017 are joined by Rise of the Tomb Raider - the same demo we played behind the scenes at Square-Enix earlier, looking even more impressive as it was running on a much higher quality display. We can also confirm that all software was indeed running on Xbox One X hardware - production units were on display, fully wired up with hot air pumping out of the rear vents, in contrast to the cold, empty shells seen at E3 on many titles, with demos hosted on PC hardware instead. Put simply, Gamescom 2017 is the real deal, our first chance to get a look at how the new console performs across a relatively wide cross-section of in-development titles.

the tldr;
And it's that consistency in results - from the games we've seen thus far, at least - that is heartening. With every new PlayStation 4 Pro game that comes along, there's a sense of the unknown about what enhancements are actually going to manifest, and the extent to which an investment in a 4K screen actually pays off. Just like Sony, Microsoft has left the door open to developers to do what they want with the hardware, but certainly based on the titles we've seen so far, the delineation between the two models looks far more clear cut - Xbox One X is the console for your 4K screen, and anything else in addition to that (like Tomb Raider's multiple rendering modes) is a bonus. It's an impressive early showing then, and with over 100 games set for X enhancements, the chances are we're going to be kept really busy from November 7th onwards.
plus points to @London-boy for calling it. I'm not an owner of 4Pro, so I wasn't too clear on the scene, but his sentiments are echoed here.

It looks like checking today Target and Gamestop finally sold out of preorders. So currently AFAIK, it's actually sold out of preorders at least at all 5 major game retailers in the US (Gamestop Target Wal Mart Best Buy Amazon) as well as Microsoft store.

I'm seeing some people on GAF who prefer/are going to wait for the base console as they dont want the green letters. I actually kind of agree with them a bit, interesting thought.

It looks like checking today Target and Gamestop finally sold out of preorders. So currently AFAIK, it's actually sold out of preorders at least at all 5 major game retailers in the US (Gamestop Target Wal Mart Best Buy Amazon) as well as Microsoft store.

I'm seeing some people on GAF who prefer/are going to wait for the base console as they dont want the green letters. I actually kind of agree with them a bit, interesting thought.
Even if I had the money for pre-order I still would have preferred to pass them both up for a white version. Absolutely love my white XB1S. Hopefully we will see one next year.

Tommy McClain

Preorders were available on Amazon this morning, but is sold out again already. However, It seems new pre orders on the site aren't guaranteeing delivery on launch day.

Preorders were available on Amazon this morning, but is sold out again already. However, It seems new pre orders on the site aren't guaranteeing delivery on launch day.
Best buy also just went through their cycle of a new batch being sold out under an hour.

They should have just allowed a preorder period of a few weeks and then produced the amount of consoles for the interested customers. The way this is going is ridiculous. Afaik it was only offered for a few minutes on my local amazon and I've never seen any notification email. So it's either pure luck or people who were notified by somebody.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they needed a manufacturing target to hit so that they can start to make sure they have XB1X non-scorpio's on the shelves on launch day.

I think MS limiting the "Scorpio" versions because they didn't want people to be able to swing by Best Buy / Gamestop on November 7 and picking up one that has a bit of green writing on it is silly.

MS should be selling as many pre-orders as people want to buy at this point, limiting demand for exclusivity purposes is dumb because in the consumer electronics market, there's always something else to spend your money on if you want a new 'toy'. Consumers will just spend that money on a phone, tablet, or competing system if you make them wait too long.

I think they release them in batches, as they have to manufacture in skids. Not sure how logistics work out. But they will probably limit their pre-orders in full batches so I reckon they would rather lose a few SE edition preorders than order a new skid.

At the moment demand is too strong. But they will switch to standard edition soon as we get closer to the launch date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back