Pricing Discussions around AMD VEGA *over-flow*

Could SOMEBODY please explain to me where in the world "legally barred from enforcing MSRP" comes from? Is that the case in Europe? Because in US it is most assuredly not:

"If a manufacturer, on its own, adopts a policy regarding a desired level of prices, the law allows the manufacturer to deal only with retailers who agree to that policy. A manufacturer also may stop dealing with a retailer that does not follow its resale price policy. That is, a manufacturer can implement a dealer policy on a "take it or leave it" basis.
I don't know if that's been harmonised over Europe, but here in Germany you can only dictate the price if you sell directly, you cannot officially force a retailer to adhere to your pricing scheme. There are explicit exemptions from this rule, for examle books or magazines („Preisbindung“), which Amazon sued against years ago and lost.

If you want the respective law:
https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/gwb/__1.html
https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/gwb/__21.html

Of course, it's one thing what is written in the law and a completely other if you can successfully sue. Common practice for example is, that commodity goods have the "UVP" (german acronym for SEP: „Unverbindliche Preisempfehlung“ with a particular emphasis of it being „unverbindlich“ (non-binding), since the „suggested“ is already in „Preisempfehlung“ -> „price suggestion“ ) printed clearly visible on a good's packaging so consumers can readily see, whether or not a particular retailer is above SEP. You can also sue shops (be they customers or competition) when you have reason to assume, they sell goods at a loss - for example when selling against the market trend and below SEP, because selling at a loss is illegal practice in germany as well (certain exceptions like clearance sales).

Other than that, you can always work with „limited supply“, while it is IMHO not legal to completely bar non-agreeing retailers, you can deliver preferred partners with better allocation for example. There's always "ways".

Last edited:
Vega56 is end of september, no ? EDIT : I was wrong, August 28th thx to CarstenS

Yeah the price is the big question right now. I hope AMD find a way to have Vega64 at 499 and 56 at 399 for customers (I know everything is not in their power but...). I don't want a 599 Vega64 and a 499 Vega56...

Last edited:
This thread has a devolving element that's going to require someone's time to clean up.

Nothing wrong with a little sarcasm, but when ridicule gets tossed in people take it personally because, you know, ridicule does that and then thread quality turns to spit.

Let's cut that part out before a mod has to spend time doing it.

Thanks.

Vega56 is end of september, no ? EDIT : I was wrong, August 28th thx to CarstenS

Yeah the price is the big question right now. I hope AMD find a way to have Vega64 at 499 and 56 at 399 for customers (I know everything is not in their power but...). I don't want a 599 Vega64 and a 499 Vega56...
Vega 56 was briefly listed already at £399 in UK including VAT, which translates to $425 without VAT, which should mean it's really $399 in the US

For some reason if there are supply issues at AMD and they can only deliver less than 20,000 units to AIB's over the next couple months they should state so. That's the only reason for any of this nonsense ...

Edit: If there is the future possibility that your product might be a lemon you really don't want to flood the market with DOA inventory.

Last edited:
For some reason if there are supply issues at AMD and they can only deliver less than 20,000 units to AIB's over the next couple months they should state so. That's the only reason for any of this nonsense ...

Edit: If there is the future possibility that your product might be a lemon you really don't want to flood the market with DOA inventory.
I wonder how much capacity is going to compute/ SSG? Vega SSG and AMDs project 47 seem far more attractive then vegan 64 the GPU........

Last edited:
AMD should provision less cards for packs too...

Anyway, in a ideal world, RX 64 is 499$ right ? But, I wonder how Asus, MSI, etc, will do to make custom board, with better cooling solution, and still be in the 1080 range price.

No chance. AMD has stated otherwise. There must be something else going on here.
It's obviously possible, after AMD there's first AIBs and then distributors who can both hike up the price. Considering that before Vega miners were already renting planes to get GPUs straight from AIBs, I'd suspect that AIBs have hiked up their prices a LOT because of them

It's obviously possible, after AMD there's first AIBs and then distributors who can both hike up the price. Considering that before Vega miners were already renting planes to get GPUs straight from AIBs, I'd suspect that AIBs have hiked up their prices a LOT because of them
Can miners get them straight from AIB's?

Can miners get them straight from AIB's?
Apparently yes, I doubt they'd use planes to get them from distributors which have the cards already near you http://www.businessinsider.com/cryptocurrency-miners-rent-boeing-747s-2017-7?r=UK&IR=T&IR=T

edit:
Actually, scratch that "apparently yes", of course they can, just like some retailers can order straight from AIB instead of going through the usual distributors. And for what it's worth, for what I've heard, the prices are high straight from AIB already.

Last edited:
Back