All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2017 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time will tell though, because Xbox One X could boost the One's sales.

I believe it safe to assume that you will see a nice boost early on with the X model on sale. I also think this will be a deceiving addition to the Xbox One userbase. I suspect early X adopters will make up primarily of existing Xbox One gamers. Those same people who lined up to buy a Xbox One at launch will be back for an upgraded model. This is something that the Xbox 360 never benefited from. Although you could argue that it benefited from selling a lot of replacement consoles thanks to the RROD. Year one for the 360 was pretty bad from a software perspective. It really didn't look like much of an upgrade over the original Xbox at launch. Sure, it was playing games in 720p, but the overall fidelity didn't really separate itself until 2007 when developers really started finding their stride in HD development. 360 also did rather well in the UK, but the Xbox One doesnt seem to be enjoying that success to the same level because of the popularity of the PS4 in that region. Xbox One may be able to replicate the success they enjoyed in the US with the 360, but world wide sales will be difficult to match.

I believe it safe to assume that you will see a nice boost early on with the X model on sale. I also think this will be a deceiving addition to the Xbox One userbase. I suspect early X adopters will make up primarily of existing Xbox One gamers. Those same people who lined up to buy a Xbox One at launch will be back for an upgraded model. This is something that the Xbox 360 never benefited from. Although you could argue that it benefited from selling a lot of replacement consoles thanks to the RROD. Year one for the 360 was pretty bad from a software perspective. It really didn't look like much of an upgrade over the original Xbox at launch. Sure, it was playing games in 720p, but the overall fidelity didn't really separate itself until 2007 when developers really started finding their stride in HD development. 360 also did rather well in the UK, but the Xbox One doesnt seem to be enjoying that success to the same level because of the popularity of the PS4 in that region. Xbox One may be able to replicate the success they enjoyed in the US with the 360, but world wide sales will be difficult to match.

Games like GRAW and Fight Night 3 beg to differ. And the first year offered games like DOA 4, ES Oblivion, COD 2, Condemned and Saints Row that were exclusive to the 360.

The 360 enjoyed a higher attachment rate than either the wii or the PS3 in its first year.

Last edited:
But what will those upgraders do with their original Xbox One systems? I plan on giving it to a niece/nephew or sell it to a coworker. So my upgrade does indeed grow the user base by 1.
I won´t be doing anything with mine. The problem is that my collection is growing big. The house is getting small...

I forgot about Xbox One X on Amazon. But someone brought it up in the other thread so I took a look. Cant glean too much really, and increasingly I kinda dont trust Amazon as any kind of sales barometer too much. But here goes. Oh, and note Xbox One X predorder have been sold out on Amazon, so this is whatever sold when they were available.

On the regular best sellers list X1X is #2 currently. I'm not sure if it was higher, it should definitely slip over time now since it's not available any more. That seems pretty impressive.

https://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_tab_t_bs

Best Sellers of 2017, I'm not sure how regularly this updates, so positions could be "old". For consoles, The (grey )Switch is #5, PS4 Slim Uncharted bundle #9, Switch with neon Joycons #20, NES classic #23 (not sure how this works since production numbers on NES classic in 2017 should be exceedingly low, maybe it counts third party scalpers and also goes by revenue?). And then the X1X is 5th among consoles at #66. But what I found interesting is it's already above any other Xbox SKU (which is another reason Amazon sales charts are well, kinda stupid cause they often dont make much sense). In fact unless I'm missing something no regular Xbox One makes the 2017 top 100(vs PS4 at #9!). And FWIW also above the PS4 Pro, which is #90.

I'm tempted to suggest Xbox owners are a more core segment that really likes power, and the return to that market segment after a long 4 years segment gets X1X more sales than say, PS4 Pro as a comparison point. Even at $100 more. It could also be as I've pointed out, base PS4 isn't really "deficient" like base Xbox One is, in the sense of 1080P etc, leading to a greater need to upgrade for xbox owners. Also there's the fact at least in the USA, MS has IMO pushed/advertised the X1X a lot more (even though publicly they keep repeating the mantra they expect Xbox One to continue to garner the lions share of sales).

There are so many XB1 bundles it spreads the numbers among 3+ SKUs, if you add them together I'm sure the XB1 is in the top 20. Once the holiday bundles get on the list it will shift a bunch of stuff off the list. You are also comparing pre-orders with no commitment to actual sales.

Also, the pro was OOS on Amazon for most of the end of 2016 and months of 2017. The finally went to a stable in stock a month or two back.

Last edited:
There are so many XB1 bundles it spreads the numbers among 3+ SKUs, if you add them together I'm sure the XB1 is in the top 20. Once the holiday bundles get on the list it will shift a bunch of stuff off the list. You are also comparing pre-orders with no commitment to actual sales.
nailed it.

It is decent information though, we might be able to leverage it to see how many units Amazon actually has allocated to it?
@ZhugeEX posted this tweet, and he's also got data so maybe he can help us ballpark allocation here

So if 4Pro is 20% of all PS4 family sales, can we just add up Jan - Aug, take 20% and determine what the approximate allocation for Amazon US 1X stock would be?

I'm not saying they're all going to be sales, but curious to see how many they were allocated, since they now officially sold out and can't sell anymore, this might be a way to ballpark it effectively; and extrapolate that further to all the other vendors.

nailed it.

It is decent information though, we might be able to leverage it to see how many units Amazon actually has allocated to it?
@ZhugeEX posted this tweet, and he's also got data so maybe he can help us ballpark allocation here

So if 4Pro is 20% of all PS4 family sales, can we just add up Jan - Aug, take 20% and determine what the approximate allocation for Amazon US 1X stock would be?

I'm not saying they're all going to be sales, but curious to see how many they were allocated, since they now officially sold out and can't sell anymore, this might be a way to ballpark it effectively; and extrapolate that further to all the other vendors.

I took the PS4 leaked NPD data and the percentage of 20% of all PS4 sales for PS4 Pro and it is more than 400000 maybe 450000 Xbox One X preorder if it the same for all retailer.

Yeah I expect XBX to sell A LOT in the first few months, but I think it will also be very front-loaded, depending on how well MS can keep up with demand. I wouldn't even be surprised if we see record breaking sales during the holidays for Microsoft. XBX launch plus heavily discounted XB1S will do very well for them.

I think a large majority of XBX buyers will be existing XB1 owners, which is, despite being far behind PS4, still quite a large install base. Abdiel at GAF backs up my thoughts in that a lot of pre-orders at Bestbuy in his district are people who already own an XB1. Once XBX saturates the core XB1 market, I think we'll start to see PS4Pro type splits.

Overall, I think XBX will give XB1 a nice boost overall, but it will still fall well short of X360 sales.

Yeah I expect XBX to sell A LOT in the first few months, but I think it will also be very front-loaded, depending on how well MS can keep up with demand. I wouldn't even be surprised if we see record breaking sales during the holidays for Microsoft. XBX launch plus heavily discounted XB1S will do very well for them.

I think a large majority of XBX buyers will be existing XB1 owners, which is, despite being far behind PS4, still quite a large install base. Abdiel at GAF backs up my thoughts in that a lot of pre-orders at Bestbuy in his district are people who already own an XB1. Once XBX saturates the core XB1 market, I think we'll start to see PS4Pro type splits.

Overall, I think XBX will give XB1 a nice boost overall, but it will still fall well short of X360 sales.

It depends where I heard some number from France in Micromania(Gamestop) and they only have 5000 consoles for preorder and yesterday they had nearly 1200 consoles remaining. But in France Xbox One S sold very bad and trade in is only 90 euros in Micromania because it sold less than Switch having problen of stock... Many discount offer at 199 euros with 4 or 5 games but people prefer buy PS4 or PS4 Pro...

I don't think the amount of console is big out ot US and UK...

Last edited:
Worlwide it will be not very good probably very good in US for the first fews months and not so bad in UK (more price sensitive...)

I took the PS4 leaked NPD data and the percentage of 20% of all PS4 sales for PS4 Pro and it is more than 400000 maybe 450000 Xbox One X preorder if it the same for all retailer.
Excellent.

If we take this and break it into the 4 major channels: Amazon, game/stop/EB/micro, bestbuy, other.

That would leave approximately 100K per channel globally. How we break it down might matter, but the 400K gives us a starting anchor on things.

About double what I expected.

So the other channels would be a split between Walmart and Target in the US? Or should their numbers each equally be up there, so theres 6 total channels?

So the other channels would be a split between Walmart and Target in the US? Or should their numbers each equally be up there, so theres 6 total channels?
Yea that what I debated. They were also last to sell out and I'm not sure how "large" they are out of North America.

I lumped Walmart, target, Costco, sams, toys r us, MS Store etc into one smaller group.

I don't know the landscape of US retail at all so feedback is necessary.

The performance delta between a XB1 and XB1X is massive so the appeal will be greater. I expect the X1X will sell a lot this holiday season. How it fares Feb onwards will be the key.
For PS4 users, they went from the most powerful console to an even more powerful console. The appeal wasn't there as much.
For XBO users, they are going from weakest to strongest, I imagine there is more emotional attachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back