Assassins Creed Origins (Devs of Black Flag)

Really looking forward to this myself. Here's hoping they had enough time to release something polished for once. I'm also hoping for gameplay systems that properly feed into each other. The AC games - Blackflag in particular - have always been heavily compartmentalized. You unlocked shit for the sake of unlocking shit. Not because you'd ever need it.

Since AC4 I only buy AC games on digital fire sales for collection purposes because they aren't an improved AC4.

Hm, not sure about this one. It looked good in the trailer but the actual gameplay wasn't that great, kinda boring and barren. Might wait for a bargain sale for later.

Hm, not sure about this one. It looked good in the trailer but the actual gameplay wasn't that great, kinda boring and barren. Might wait for a bargain sale for later.
Same. I've not played Syndicate yet and this appeals less than that. I'll wait for reviews to see if there is anything sufficiently different.

Indeed... There is a LOT of stuff that we had to build for this, lots of FX work, and so on...
Congratulations. The results are great. This is up there with the black flag one, which in my opinion was the best one so far.

On a completely unrelated question Yosh, but I wondered this yesterday, have ever wanted to do a real-time project? Not necesserely a realistic consideration, but just a hypothetical wish. For the sake of the chalenge of getting reaults as good as possible within the constraints that game devs do.

Just popped this in. It’s BEAUTIFUL. And again, really great HDR calibration system where you can set your own TV’s top brightness, so I put it at 1900 and wow.

Just popped this in. It’s BEAUTIFUL. And again, really great HDR calibration system where you can set your own TV’s top brightness, so I put it at 1900 and wow.
trying to decide between this and Frozen Wilds expansion. What are your impressions? which one should I go for?

trying to decide between this and Frozen Wilds expansion. What are your impressions? which one should I go for?

I got both. And still need to finish Witcher 3 so I only really put AC in to see how pretty it was, I can’t commit to another complex game like this when I have W3 to finish. And Frozen Wilds waiting to come later this month, can’t remember when?

I got both. And still need to finish Witcher 3 so I only really put AC in to see how pretty it was, I can’t commit to another complex game like this when I have W3 to finish. And Frozen Wilds waiting to come later this month, can’t remember when?
Frozen Wilds is releasing right now....in a few hours !

Not a big fan of the way everything is basically gated by level requirements now. Or rather I think they just did it a bit poorly. Granted, lots of RPGs do this as well, but they generally do a much better job in that regard. They usually introduce bigger baddies instead of giving regular enemies arbitrary levels of strength purely based on their location on the map. They tend to be a lot less scrict about it too. With animals it's even more strange. I could possibly accept a well trained soldier tanking all my hits with barely a scratch to show for, but what about the krocodiles which must have secretly done lots of push-ups while their out-of-shape siblings enjoyed a leisurly life of eating junk food and watching tv. Gives me flashbacks of Oblivion where I'm being one-shot by the same bloody wolf I killed in a single swing the night before. Sort of forces you into a gameplay Goldilocks zone and It feels a bit weird. Very little wiggle room for the player too. Facing off against a bunch of enemies a couple of levels higher than you? - Might as well go somewhere else. But if they are just one or two levels below your own, they'll barely put a dent into your hide and every last bit of challenge immediately goes *poof*. For what's essentially a RPG-lite, Origins is surprisingly beholden to the numbers game.

Horizon does the smart thing of introducing bigger dinobots instead.

Last edited:
Back