Mass Effect: Andromeda [PC]

So I've just played through ME1-3 recently for the first time and am now ~10 hours into Andromeda and boy am I glad that I didn't listen to the bad press the game got. Was almost going to skip it, or at least wait until it becomes really cheap, but I didn't and now this is probably my favourite ME game so far. I'm just sad that all the negative backlash against the game means no DLC and no sequel (at least for a while).

Finished the main story arc after about 40 hours and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not sure yet if I'll go around and complete some of the unfinished side quests but I do greatly appreciate that they leave you the option, unlike the previous games where you had to reload a pre-final-mission save in order to do the side quests.

I bought the game, mostly out of curiosity. Put in a few hours. It's definitely Mass Effect. I wish it felt more.....fresh I guess. But overall it seems like a polished sequel it's following the formula.

I don't see why the Intarwebz peoples were out with pitchforks. I suppose it's the usual story of people with crazy expectations being disappointed and then being loud and obnoxious about it. That and of course the press is great at doing their jobs by pushing buttons with clickbait articles. Maybe it's entirely a perception created by the press.

Last edited:
I don't see why the Intarwebz peoples were out with pitchforks. I suppose it's the usual story of people with crazy expectations being disappointed and then being loud and obnoxious about it. That and of course the press is great at doing their jobs by pushing buttons with clickbait articles. Maybe it's entirely a perception created by the press.

Agreed 100%.

Is there some terrible line and funky animations? Sure. Does it mask over the whole game and ruin it? Not at all. Out of the hundreds of hours of dialog and gameplay there were only a few times I was annoyed with it. There is a reason all the ME:A sucks videos used the same half dozen videos.

It's over: https://www.masseffect.com/news/mass-effect-andromeda-update-from-the-studio

"Since the release of Mass Effect™: Andromeda, we’ve worked hard to address feedback from our community. From improving animations to expanding customization options, we looked to respond to your concerns, and build on what you loved.

With each patch, you let us know we were heading in the right direction, and we're grateful to everyone who joined us on this journey. We're proud of what we created, and we hope you enjoyed it as well.

Early in development, we decided to focus Mass Effect: Andromeda’s story on the Pathfinder, the exploration of the Andromeda galaxy, and the conflict with the Archon. The game was designed to further expand on the Pathfinder’s journey through this new galaxy with story-based APEX multiplayer missions and we will continue to tell stories in the Andromeda Galaxy through our upcoming comics and novels, including the fate of the quarian ark.

Our last update, 1.10, was the final update for Mass Effect: Andromeda. There are no planned future patches for single-player or in-game story content.

In the coming weeks, our multiplayer team will provide details of their ongoing support and upcoming content, including new multiplayer missions, character kits, and what’s in store for N7 Day.

We appreciate all the millions of people who came with us to the Andromeda galaxy. We hope to see you again in the Mass Effect universe."

"The game was designed to further expand on the Pathfinder’s journey through this new galaxy with story-based APEX multiplayer missions" this is a bit of WHAT? but...
"We hope to see you again in the Mass Effect universe" gives hope. Really love this game, and its multiplayer part.

I bought the game, mostly out of curiosity. Put in a few hours. It's definitely Mass Effect. I wish it felt more.....fresh I guess. But overall it seems like a polished sequel it's following the formula.

I don't see why the Intarwebz peoples were out with pitchforks.

Well, you describe why yourself. It's a blah game.
Follows the formula set by it's predecessors, only limper. And you can feel it even after a few hours. (!)

Add annoyances such having to criss-cross across the galaxy in quests forcing you to watch the cut-scenes over and over and over, hell even have to launch into space to read your e-mails (wtf?), or my pet peeve that started to grate even in Mass Effect 3, that you have to spend so much time just sitting inactive in front of your screen while the game plays with itself presenting something you may or may not find interesting. ME:A is a worse offender in this respect, both because you spend even more time waiting, and because what it chooses to present is more cookie cutter and less relevant. Bland.

What you see online is disappointment. People expecting a great experience and instead getting mildly bored and feeling unengaged. Their disdain is justified.

We're enjoying the multiplayer with the missus. Combat is much improved. Haven't really tried single player yet.

Well, you describe why yourself. It's a blah game.
Follows the formula set by it's predecessors, only limper. And you can feel it even after a few hours. (!)
Well I haven't played it since that post. lol Yeah you're right that it certainly is limp and the characters weren't doing a thing for me after 4 hours or so I put in. Very Stargate / Star Trek happy go lucky burned out design. Maybe they should have modeled it after gritty sleazy backstabbing BSG.

I never finished ME3.

Still I don't think it's so fucked up that it needs a lynch mob. As you can see some people do like it. They just aren't as loud as the crazy hater loons and the media.

Last edited:
We're enjoying the multiplayer with the missus. Combat is much improved. Haven't really tried single player yet.

Multiplayer is so much fun, this is my first after UT2004.. in 2004. Loved SP too, especially that it wasnt the same'o'same'o gritty darkness stuff like original trilogy ;)

Multiplayer is so much fun, this is my first after UT2004.. in 2004. Loved SP too, especially that it wasnt the same'o'same'o gritty darkness stuff like original trilogy ;)
Opinions obviously differ. :)

And that is perfectly alright. The game has sold in the millions, it wouldn't be very healthy if opinions didn't differ a fair bit. (Although I don't think you should judge a story based RPG on its multiplayer add-on, because pretty much all multiplayer is fun if the game modes fit your group of friends.)
Personally I find the 7 out of 10 or so scores the game got was pretty fair. 3-4 is just bitter disappointment talking. But even EAs Vice President Patrick Söderlund recognized that the game misfired:
"What we need to be careful though of is, whenever we bring Mass Effect back again, we have to make sure that we bring it back in a really [relevant] way, and in a fresh, exciting place. That' my job, and that's Casey's [Hudson] job, and BioWare and the Mass Effect team's job, to figure out what that looks like, and that we don't know yet, but we will."

I think it is at least somewhat reassuring that he actually seems to understand that the fundamental problem was that the game failed to engage its target audience. Maybe something good can come of this in the end.

Opinions obviously differ. :)

And that is perfectly alright. The game has sold in the millions, it wouldn't be very healthy if opinions didn't differ a fair bit. (Although I don't think you should judge a story based RPG on its multiplayer add-on, because pretty much all multiplayer is fun if the game modes fit your group of friends.)
Personally I find the 7 out of 10 or so scores the game got was pretty fair. 3-4 is just bitter disappointment talking. But even EAs Vice President Patrick Söderlund recognized that the game misfired:
I think it is at least somewhat reassuring that he actually seems to understand that the fundamental problem was that the game failed to engage its target audience. Maybe something good can come of this in the end.

Yeah it wasnt the best ME game and I kinda agree on 7-8/10, but that put it ahead of ME3 and ME2 for me already.
Lets hope, ME universe is so great and vaste, there must be a lot of stories to be told and played in it :)

Back